Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?

Go down 
+11
exavid
tankyuong
dspevack
MikeO
Chinasaur
honda_silver
Peach
john grinsel
bigbird
MaxB
billmc
15 posters
AuthorMessage
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? Empty
PostSubject: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:03 pm

OK Guys,

Looking at your ages we all seem to be fairly close in age, +/- 15 years or so. Let me ask you, how old were your when you began to learn to ride? Is 51 to old? I was telling a friend of mine that I should have been doing this at 18, at that age you're invincible (at least you think so). He pointed out to me that you heal quicker then too.

I left the Swing for service at the dealer, I did not have a service history from when I bought it. He checked everything for me, replaced all the fluids, belt, check the valves, new tires. He told me that it was in better shape than a lot of them that come through his door. Told me all I had to do now is follow the regular maintenance schedule and I shouldn't have any trouble. Picked it up Tuesday evening.

Took it for a ride Tue night, had a blast once again. Took it out Wednesday night, all ways well until ...

Sitting at the red light, waiting to make a right hand turn. No traffic coming, I pulled out. I don't remember all the details at this point. I seem to recall having trouble making the turn, though I don't know why. I also remember going towards the median, with the brakes fighting the throttle. (I've had a problem, a couple of times, of not being able to release the throttle while applying the front brake). The throttle won. Witnesses told me I hit a pot hole. From my horizontal vantage point, I could see it; never saw it before then. I don't know if I hit it, then started the brake/throttle thing or not.

I've got road rash on my right knee and left wrist. My right hip is sore. I've sprained my right ankle, the foot is black and blue and swollen. They given me crutches to use. The first day I couldn't put any weight on the right foot, now I can, but the swelling seems to be worse. Some people have told me it may get worse before it gets better.

I had on a pair of Icon Tarmac boots, they're leather and mesh and go up just above the ankle, they show little to no damage, so I'm questioning the effectiveness of these. I had on my helmet, jacket, and gloves. They all did what they were supposed to do. For pants I was wearing Levi's jeans.

The jacket is from Olympia Moto Sports and I have matching pants that stayed on the hanger. I've taken pictures of the gear, hopefully I'll figure out how to include them in this post.

The bike was towed and the rescue took me to the hospital. They checked me out and released me, nothing broken. I haven't seen the bike yet, I was told that it just cosmetic, but the police report indicates $700 damage. I remember seeing bits and pieces in the road.

A lot of people are telling me I need to get rid of this thing. What do you guys think? Did you go through a painful learning process when you started? Did it take a while?

I thought this thing might be fun to ride around town (and it has been, so long as I keep it vertical) , and when I went somewhere in the RV, I wouldn't need to be dragging 20ft of trailer and truck behind it.

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? Gloves10

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? Heleme10

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? Jacket10

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? Pants10

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? Injuri10

I'm not sure how well the damage to the gear shows up in these, but trust me its there. I also know I don't have the money to be buying new stuff each time I want to go for a ride. I thought this was supposed to be cheaper than playing with boats (Break Out Another Thousand).

Bill
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Sorry for your get off.
NO 51 is NOT too old to learn.

as they say, S**t happens.

Slow speed and front brakes cause "falling down syndrome".

Pot holes normally don't dump you like that. I would say you hit the pothole at low speed and clamped the front brake hard.

This is just a guess.

Don't forget to add helmet and stuff to Insurance claim , most pay for that also in a wreck.

Get well and take a class. Or Get a video on slow speed riding.

MaxB

P.S. get a new helmet (you only get one crash/helmet) as for the AGGAT they are badges of riding.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:32 pm

(to be taken in the form of satire)

MAN UP, Heck i've been hurt worse, fallin' on my front steps!!!!!!!!!!!
(concussion, 2 broken ribs, broken elbow)
And I wasn't even drinkin' !!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course you pay the dealer first, gotta get that fixed.

the hospital makes enough and can get from your insurance co.

Two weeks and you'be riding again.

MaxB (be ther done that, got the scars to prove it.)

the devil made me say it. hahahahahha
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Max,
Thanks. I took the course before I got the license and the bike. FL doesn't require motorcycle insurance if you've got health insurance, so as of yet I don't have it. I've gotten a couple of quotes, but. The divorce is supposed to be final in a couple of more weeks, right now the car insurance is combined for her and I. I was waiting, to split that up and put the cars, RV, and bike all on the same policy. That helmet was a couple of hundred bucks. I'm Irish, got a thick head. If you're gonna do it to me, hit me in the head, it's the only place where I won't get hurt.
Bill
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:39 pm

I too was thinking paying the dealer first, just need to be sure though.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:53 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Get Off   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 pm

I will try not to be smart ass---- but looks as mentioned above you gas with the bike bent over and used a bunch of front brake---result is almost always same.

If you had MSF course, it must not have been very good. I am not their fan, but I have teacher certificate dated 1974 , don't believe inn this rider coach crap.Auto scooters are not completely idiot proof(I am not saying you are idiot --- so no offense) Reg bike with clutch you pull in clutch and disconnect engine from driven wheel....and tell everybody the throttle stuck and no body knows dirrerence. I ran bike schools full time in 70's in Japan----I know for fact, most people when they screw up turn the wick wide open.

Also scooter with linked brakes present some problems as when you want to use rear (left one) as balancing aid, front comes on. For me I feel hinderance in heavy traffic and mountains. Helix with foot pedal for rear probably safer.

So I say get better----most old hands if they just dump don't go to Dr---if all your pieces are still there. As for bike, if it is insured for collision get estimates----if not, try duct tape as long as controls and lites are ok. Learn to fix yourself.

Whole secret is to ride more and more-----your yellow jacket isn't even dirty----ride a lot and it will show miles.I have the same one with dirt and hole in left front where I put pipe in pocket when still hot, jacket melted in that area.

Go back to MSF and see if they have scooter course, taking into consideration auto drive. If instructor is any good he will know differences.

Divorce-----I didn't get married until 65 but I can see the BS in breaking it....or living with on day to day basis.....used to be nice for me....no problems, no sharing, I had such great worries as where did I leave bike if I got drunk....no money, next payday coming, etc. Had simple B & W TV until about 10 years ago. Really simple....bought over 75 new bikes without asking anybody.

John Grinsel Find somebody who can work with you in safe environment until you are steady Eddy.
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 4:44 pm

FL requires the MSF course for the license, so that's what I took. They offered a scooter course and a motorcycle course, difference of $25. I signed up for the scooter course. I asked them what the difference was on the phone, they told me they just didn't teach shifting to the scooters. It was a 2 day course, half classroom half range. When I got there, everybody was combined. 4 of us had scooters, the rest motorcycles. They talked about going slow and getting used to using the clutch, something about the friction zone. They didn't address the centrifugal clutch at all. We were on 200cc Kymco. They didn't have the combined brakes.

As to the throttle, I was mentioning to a buddy its probably a throw back to when I was riding bicycles. I think you call it covering the brake. I had gotten into the habit of placing my fingers over the brake lever with my palm on the handlebar. So far, I think, each time I've had this issue, I've been doing the same, so when I squeeze the brake, my palm (added by the extra friction of the gloves) are still on the throttle. I think its a habit that I'm going to have to concentrate on not doing. I haven't seemed to have this problem if my fingers weren't over the brake lever. But I've done it so long the other way, I do it without thinking, it just comes naturally at this point. Unlearning old/bad habits is harder than learner the right way the first time.
Back to top Go down
Peach
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:48 am

My husband and I took up riding at the ripe old age of 36/37. Neither of us ever had been on anything bigger than a bicycle before that. We got his/hers 50cc scooters, and I had mine for about 23 hours and fell over going around a curve too slow. The bike landed on my leg and someone had to lift it up so I could get out from under it. Mostly because I was laughing so hard, but also because it was an awkward position.
It's hard to type and knock on wood at the same time. That has been the only accident I've been involved in so far. I think I was wearing shorts and a teeshirt and had a bicycle type boo-boo on my knee.
Two months ago, Mr. Peach and my 12-year old were hit by a car while riding. It was a true eye-opener to us all. But when I rode my scooter to work a week later, I got all the "I can't believe you'd ride after what happened to your family" comments. They didn't do any good; just pissed me off is all. Then I had the audacity to ride a ninja to work, and tongues wagged. For some reason, they thought the 500cc ninja is more dangerous (speed-wise) than the innocent silver wing?!?!?!
A few weeks ago, an innocent fall caused 4 rib breaks and a broken collar bone and a punctured/collapsed lung. I recalled an aunt of mine who suffered from a similar injury ball-room dancing!! And then I was reminded that she broke her back horse-back riding!!
I love riding. I will easily ride 400-500 miles in a weekend and was riding 50-mile daily commute and wanting more. I stopped riding to work when a truck in front of me was kind enough to run over a piece of lumber and split it into 4-pieces and send them flying. Those 4-pieces hit me and/or my scooter in various places, including my face. That made me realize that Knoxville rush hour isn't the safest place for a rider, so I've cut out the daily commute.
My point is, you can't live in the bubble. If you think you're safe, you're not. Even if you're at home, a tree can fall on it (that happened to me!), a fire can start, you can slip on wet grass in your yard. I have suffered for years from a work-related injury. On the other hand, I have been with both guys as they recover from these terrible injuries. My son will always have scars on his arm and leg. Of course, under slightly different circumstances, they could both be dead. I read about a motorcyclist's death every week around here.
Every time you ride your scooter, you risk life and limb. But tomorrow is never promised to any of us so you'd might as well enjoy it (safely and sensibly, of course). Good luck!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 am

Peach wrote:
I stopped riding to work when a truck in front of me was kind enough to run over a piece of lumber and split it into 4-pieces and send them flying. Those 4-pieces hit me and/or my scooter in various places, including my face. That made me realize that Knoxville rush hour isn't the safest place for a rider, so I've cut out the daily commute.

Would changing the route for your commute help??

In the morning I take longer backroads for school drop-off and commuting. If I took direct roads the traffic would be much higher risk and traffic.

If possible leave more space between you and truck you are following per "Proficient Motorcycling" from Dave Hough.

Peach wrote:
My point is, you can't live in the bubble. If you think you're safe, you're not. ......

Well said.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:42 am

billmc wrote:
I seem to recall having trouble making the turn, though I don't know why. I also remember going towards the median, with the brakes fighting the throttle. (I've had a problem, a couple of times, of not being able to release the throttle while applying the front brake). The throttle won.

If you have a Cramp Buster or something similar ... I would suggest removing and replacing with a Wrist Rest ( http://www.hognutz.com/accessories/58/ ). The Cramp Buster interfered one time with the throttle and braking and I removed it when I got home and replaced. The position of the Wrist Rest has never interfered with the throttle or braking.

billmc wrote:
I've got road rash on my right knee and left wrist. My right hip is sore. I've sprained my right ankle, the foot is black and blue and swollen. They given me crutches to use. The first day I couldn't put any weight on the right foot, now I can, but the swelling seems to be worse. Some people have told me it may get worse before it gets better.

I pray you will heal quickly.

billmc wrote:
I had on a pair of Icon Tarmac boots, they're leather and mesh and go up just above the ankle, they show little to no damage, so I'm questioning the effectiveness of these. I had on my helmet, jacket, and gloves. They all did what they were supposed to do. For pants I was wearing Levi's jeans.

It is always good to review the effectiveness of your gear.

billmc wrote:
The jacket is from Olympia Moto Sports and I have matching pants that stayed on the hanger.

I am curious if you purchased the pants, why did you never wear them?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Statistically speaking, if you ride a bike for 5 years, you have 100% chance of having an injury accident.

So think of it this way, you got yours out of the way early.

Good luck and when you're healthy enough, get back on the horse.
Back to top Go down
Peach
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Would changing the route for your commute help??

In the morning I take longer backroads for school drop-off and commuting. If I took direct roads the traffic would be much higher risk and traffic.

If possible leave more space between you and truck you are following per "Proficient Motorcycling" from Dave Hough.

If I take the route I go, I have 50 minute (including gearing up/gearing down) commute. If I take the side roads, it's a nice, enjoyable ride for about 20 minutes, then it becomes a nightmare for another 45 minutes. It's red light after red light after red light, goes through the homeless district, and people would rather run you over than wait for a break in traffic. I used to scoot that route and hated it.

As far as distance, I'm hyper aware of my space and what is surrounding it. I was getting on the interstate, and was barely off the ramp, in the merge lane. I had enough time to think, and I realized there was no way out. I was going to get hit by at least one of them and if I tried to swerve, I would just add more elements to the danger I was in. The one coming towards my face was the one I have nightmares about. I guess I watch too many vampire movies and pictured it going thru my neck or something! My reaction probably wasn't the best... I slowed down and braced myself for pain and tucked my head in. My helmet took that hit (I probably could have ducked and missed that one altogether!!). I was surprised my scooter didn't go down but grateful! Too many "What if's" wen thru my mind and I came to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it!
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:40 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Quote :
I am curious if you purchased the pants, why did you never wear them?

Me too. Still haven't figured that one out. Someone has equated it to sitting down in a restaurant, ordering dinner, and when it shows up, getting up and walking out the door.

Actually, without having tried, I've assumed its to hot. Under my jacket, my shirt has been soaked from sweat once I stop. I've begun just wearing a t-shirt, carrying extras, and carrying a shirt. When I stop, I'll take the jacket and t-shirt off and put on my shirt. When I leave, I've been taking the shirt off and putting on a new t-shirt, then the jacket. I think I might run into some other type problems if I start doing that with my pants and underwear in the parking lot.

Generally, between the end of September and the middle of October, the weather here, starts getting nice and the humidity goes away. I think at that time I should be able to wear them as over pants.

In the mean time, please forgive the naivety of the newbee, I've been told that jeans should be adequate.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:50 pm

billmc wrote:
Actually, without having tried, I've assumed its to hot. Under my jacket, my shirt has been soaked from sweat once I stop. I've begun just wearing a t-shirt, carrying extras, and carrying a shirt. When I stop, I'll take the jacket and t-shirt off and put on my shirt. When I leave, I've been taking the shirt off and putting on a new t-shirt, then the jacket. I think I might run into some other type problems if I start doing that with my pants and underwear in the parking lot.

During the summer, I wear shorts under my Motoport Air Mesh kevlar pants for non-commuting ... which greatly helps.

billmc wrote:
I've been told that jeans should be adequate.

Do you still believe it??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Peach wrote:
If I take the route I go, I have 50 minute (including gearing up/gearing down) commute. If I take the side roads, it's a nice, enjoyable ride for about 20 minutes, then it becomes a nightmare for another 45 minutes. It's red light after red light after red light, goes through the homeless district, and people would rather run you over than wait for a break in traffic. I used to scoot that route and hated it.

It may be impossible, but you have to try a LOT of options before you quit.

I use my Swing to commute towards Nashville ~50 miles every day and I have tried at least a half dozen routes. I found one on the way home that I adore on the sixth try after 4 months. It's a very curvy road at 35mph for 10 miles then a fairly straight 45-55 road until it finishes with a very curvy 45mph flourish.

I can't take the same route in the morning unless I want to wait in a lineup over 100 cars long at a 4-way stop sign. So I vary between a couple of routes that add maybe 10 or 15 minutes to my commute by car, which is 70mph interstate about half the way.

As far as neighborhoods I guess I'm not so aware...someone told me today I'm driving right through a Mexican flea-market and I didn't realize it. It only runs on weekends I guess.

Anyway I've driven in and around Knoxville but just a little. I certainly don't know what areas are nice and which ones aren't, but use the heck out of Google maps and be willing to try a lot of different types of roads and maybe you'll get lucky like I did.
Back to top Go down
Chinasaur
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:50 pm

Glad you're not hurt any worse than you are! You got off easy!

1. Don't stop riding! I've had two "get off's" and that didn't stop me. 1st was at 37. 2nd was at 38. 2nd one cracked my L1 vertebrae.

2. Be brutally honest about what happened and why. Wadding a bike sucks, but it sucks harder if you don't figure out the root cause and fix it. From the sounds of it you might have locked your throttle hand on a curve that freaked you out, and either target fixated, or just hit whatever was in your path when you lost the ability to steer.

3. Trash the gloves and helmet - Yes it's expensive, but they did their job which was to protect you from ONE crash.

4. Wear FULL GEAR always - Dress for the crash, not for the ride. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants (not jeans), heavy duty leather boots, eye protection.

5. Put it into perspective - There are only two types of riders in the world - Those who have been down..and those who are going down.

Dust yourself off. Get back on and practice, practice, practice!

Best 'o luck to ya m8!
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey Guys,
Just got the bike back. This is the first time I've seen it since the attempt at riding with the rubber side up. Looks to me like it might take a little more than duct tape to get it going again. I've got time though. My foot kept swelling and had lots of pretty colors showing up. I went back to the doctor, they did a CT scan. Guess what, I didn't sprain my right ankle, I fractured it. They tell me I'll be in a cast for 6 - 8 weeks.

Anyone interested in a pair of almost new Icon Tarmac boots? Hardly any damage or wear, they're going cheap. (Speaking as a crash test dummy, I would not recommend these boots.)

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? P9080010

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? P9080011

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? P9080012

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? P9080013

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? P9080014

By the way, the one on the line is my Girlfriend, Elsa.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Oh dear!
That does look a bit of a mess.
More important, though, your ankle.
That really is bad news.
Much sympathy and good wishes to you from me.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 4:07 pm

On the lighter side, you appear to have a beautiful dog.

Dan
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 7:05 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Here she is again. She's an absolutely wonderful dog. Her birthday is in July, she just turned 9. Got her when she was 9 weeks old. Had asked the new ex-wife if she could take her while I recovered. The wife had her over the weekend and was in a big hurry to give the dog back. (Dog was super excited to see me again.) I couldn't figure out the reason to return the dog so quickly. Well it seems the new boyfriend, who is about 6'3" 250lbs and has now parked his Harley in "my" garage is afraid of the dog.

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? P9020010

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? P9020011
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 am

I'd say it looks totalled,btw everyone should give it a second chance and if it happens again, stick to 50cc scooters Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:32 am

Sounds to me that most of the damage done will be plastic parts. You can order a service manual from Helm Inc. and order the plastic pieces from Motogrid. Should be much cheaper. removing and replacing the Tupperware isn't difficult and doesn't require much in the way of tools.
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:03 pm

tankyuong wrote:
I'd say it looks totalled,btw everyone should give it a second chance and if it happens again, stick to 50cc scooters Smile

Maybe its just my way of thinking, and I have to admit that even before the crash, I don't always think straight, but 50 cc vs 600 cc. I wasn't doing a 1,000,000 mph, so the size of the motor really should come into play. Now if someone knows how to reduce the pull of gravity, I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:40 pm

billmc wrote:
Now if someone knows how to reduce the pull of gravity, I'm all ears.
Douglas Adams once logically explained how to fly without wings:

"Throw yourself at the ground, and miss."

Dan
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:50 pm

dspevack wrote:
billmc wrote:
Now if someone knows how to reduce the pull of gravity, I'm all ears.
Douglas Adams once logically explained how to fly without wings:

"Throw yourself at the ground, and miss."

Dan

That's what I did wrong, I forgot to miss.
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 pm

OK guys, more opinions please. This is somewhat of a moot point anyway, because I don't currently have the money to fix this one, never mind get another. But I'm wondering

MaxB wrote:

Slow speed and front brakes cause "falling down syndrome".

Pot holes normally don't dump you like that. I would say you hit the pothole at low speed and clamped the front brake hard.

This is just a guess.

john grinsel wrote:

but looks as mentioned above you gas with the bike bent over and used a bunch of front brake---result is almost always same.

A few other folks have told me the same thing, that locking up the wheel(s) is not beneficial to my health. A guy I used to work with was fond of saying that "there's no subsititue for knowing what you're doing" and I'm fully aware this applies to motorcycles as well, but...

I've read through the posts of people inquiring about the ABS. Seeing as I'm in the learning process (and I'm constantly looking for that easier, softer way), do you think it a good idea to get rid of this particular scooter and pick one up with ABS. If I am locking the wheels, wouldn't the ABS prevent this?

DuggleBogey wrote:
Statistically speaking, if you ride a bike for 5 years, you have 100% chance of having an injury accident.

So think of it this way, you got yours out of the way early.

Doug, I no longer remember the exact quote, but when I was leaning how to fly, my instructor told me something similar. It was along the lines of engine failures and such stuff, but if you hadn't experienced them yet, you haven't been flying long enough.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Your dog is beautiful and apparently has good taste too!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm glad you did not get hurt....Ego? Anyway I see heated grips mentioned what brand and where did you get them cost etc.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:40 pm

DaveR wrote:
I'm glad you did not get hurt....Ego? Anyway I see heated grips mentioned what brand and where did you get them cost etc.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska

Dave, the ego didn't get hurt, the body is another story. I think someones else mentioned the grips, not me. All the equipment on this thing was stock.

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 am

Bill,
ABS is always good, but from the sound of this, it would not have stopped this from happening. ABS will only prevent locking the brake so that you don't skid and lose control. If you clamped down on the brake at a slow speed ABS would not have kicked in because you would have stopped your forward motion with the normal brakes already.

Stopping with your wheel turned more often then not will dump you.
Its just time and experience learning not to do that.

You say you can't afford to repair the bike...Don't you have insurance?

Dan
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:37 am

Abs is helpful at speed. I believe that at slow speeds it will not engage. I can't quote MPH #'s but someone will.

Get a manual and delve into it.

DO NO just rip off the broken parts.... take them off. this will save more broken parts.
without being there in person. take the parts off and see whats broken and look online for parts replacements and costs. Ebay is sometimes a good source , but then paint to match makes them almost as costly as new.

I doubt there is any frame damage just looking at it. Just needs new tupperware.

MaxB (who's ESP doen't work very well long distance)
Back to top Go down
Okiebezer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiebezer

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 1:05 am

I agree with MaxB and many of the others. I definitely wouldn't give up, but I would be counting my blessings! Could have been MUCH worse, like someone not seeing you when down and plowing over the top of you...

One additional thing I would add under the new tupperware since you'll need to put new on anyway, is a WOLO bad boy airhorn. Best $28 I ever spent on my bike. Horn was $20 at local discount freight store, additional wire and connector set another $8 or so. This was an easy install and made such a difference.

Recently went to meet friend for a short 50 mile jaunt down the interstate. I had only just merged into the needed lane and been there for about 2 minutes, 65 mph or so, when a truck from two lanes to right started my way. Waited for the car that was to right and ahead of me 1 1/2 cars lengths to get past him, then he commenced to try to kiss my right shoulder with his driver's door. I had been very aware of what looked like could happen as soon as I saw him start his manuever. I was heading toward the inner trouble lane on highway which was also approaching a left curve on bridge overpass. Laid my thumb on the horn button as I saw him proceeding my direction, my bike started strattling the pavement on the trouble lane. He heard the WOLO (thank you Jesus!) and jumped like there was a huge car right there. This horn IS louder than the one on my Chevy truck. I was extremely thankful to have installed this horn two weeks earlier.

Keep the bike and get it and you road worthy again.
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 pm

I've seen mention of air horns on here before. Are we talking about what I think we are? The last air horn I bought was for my boat. It was a dual horn type, I'm thinking one horn 12" the other 9". It sounded like it belonged on a ship (I can't remember for sure, but I think it was 118dB).

Insurance, no. I mentioned that before, I was waiting for the divorce to be final. Supposed to be next week. Have to separate the cars then and figured I'd put the truck, car, bike, and RV all on the same policy.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:35 pm

They are what you think they are, but they aren't as big as you think they are. I won't knock the WOLO horn because I no nothing about it.
The Stebel Nautilus Air horn is a common upgrade. And because you don't have abs there is room for it where the abs used to go if you want to put it there.
You can see the line of compact air horns here.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/default.asp?menu=news
Back to top Go down
Okiebezer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiebezer

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 1:15 pm

The WOLO is just like the bottom airhorn on the link sent above. I believe it said 139Db... This thing is LOUD, especially compared to stock horn. Unit I bought seemed a quality build, can't complain about it at all. Hardest part of install was taking the tupperware off to get to a spot to mount unit.
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Bill sorry about your loss bro I SO FEEL YA BROTHER!!!!!!!! But check this out IF AND I SAY IF YOU ORDER THE PARTS AND DO IT YOURSELF????????????????????????????? DONT THROW NOTHING OUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITH NEW BODY PANELS THERES 0 ZERO ZILCH NADA SPEED CLIPS CLIPS OR SCREWS NO HARDWEAR WHATS SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!! So make sure you have each and every piece that has a screw going through it. Because youll need to remove every thing from the old panels and transfer it all to the new panels. Trsut me pal I me personally had to replace 3/4 of my 2007 from a stop and drop that what i called it from a dead stand still i went down. After throwing out all my old panels LUCKY THE GARBAGE MEN DIDNT COME i FOUND OUT ALL THE NEW PANELS CAME WITH NO ATTACHING HARDWEAR WHATS SO EVER. so go through every body panel and piece by piece bro. Best of luck my winged brother !!!!!!

the blingmeister
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 9:54 am

OK guys, here's the latest update and I'm once again seeking advice. I was at the doctor for a follow up visit, my ankle appears to be healing well, next visit is 10/25 when I expect to loose the crutches. So I figured I'd see what it would cost to get the bike fixed, that way it'd be ready when I could ride again.

I'm going to junk it. The estimate to fix it is just under $3500. He said the parts alone were $2500 and we were only planning on replacing the stuff that needed to be replaced in order to ride it, there would still be a lot of scratches and scrapes on the back. Right now in my area on Craig's List there's a 04 for $2750, an 07 for $3700, and an 08 for $5800. So I could buy one in better shape than mine for about the same or less money.

What I'd like to know is what do you think this thing would be worth as is? I bent the fork slightly. The motor and transmission are good and I just put new tires on it. What should be an acceptable offer from the junkie?
Bill
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 am

If you get $1k from the junkie, you'll be doing very well. Part it out yourself if you're willing/able. You'll get a lot more.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Definitely the most money would be realized by selling parts on eBay. A salvage yard isn't going to pay $500. Having been in the business of buying damaged Goldwings for rebuilding or parting I'd actually be surprised if you really got an offer much more than a couple hundred dollars from a salvage operation. If you just want to get rid of it with least bother I'd try Craigslist first then a wrecking yard.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 9:02 pm

If you're getting another Swing, one option might be to sell the larger components like the engine/trans, throw away anything that's damaged, and keep the other (more easily stored) components for spare parts. This option would obviously require a bit of a time commitment plus available space to store the stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?   Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who do I pay first, the Honda Dealer or the Hospital?
Page 1 of 1