Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kickstand Kill Switch

Go down 
+3
stevec
DennisB
MikeO
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Kickstand Kill Switch Empty
PostSubject: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:47 am

Why does the Silver Wing have a kill switch on the kick stand? Is this common to all scooters? I've never had a motorcycle that had a kill switch/interlock on the kickstand.

Has anyone disabled this interlock? I know a lot of bike riders like to start their bikes to let them warm a moment before they get on. I realize this is less important for a FI bike but I wondered if anyone has modified this for that purpose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:52 am

I just read the post from February about it...I should have searched deeper than the term "kickstand" since it's called by other names.

I'll have to think about the lack of a strict "neutral' gear.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:56 am

It is standard on scooters:
It is a safety feature to prevent opening of the throttle when the bike is effectively 'in gear' and causing accidents.
My partner's BMW has some system whereby the side-stand keeps the gearbox in neutral when it's down.
I assume other geared bikes have the same.

Yes, people do override the switch.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:56 am

Yes, I have and just love it that way. To me, it's alot better with out it. Some new rider still may need it.

This subject just might kick-up some dust. Here is a thread to some information:
https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/disabling-the-sidestand-engine-immobilizer-t753.htm
Back to top Go down
stevec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
stevec

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:58 am

Why does silver wing have a kill switch on the kick stand?

It has a kill switch because it does not have a netural gear like a geared motorcycle. If you hit the throttle to rev up it will take off instead of just reving up unless you have your parking break set.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:36 am

Dennis, how do YOU avoid or protect yourself from accelerating while on the stand? Seems like a real potential disaster for rambunktious folks like me. I CAN see advantages for having that setup.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:49 am

Hi Gary,

My scooter starts very quickly and idles well and I never need to turn the throttle when I start it.

People have never touched my thottle on any running bike or scooter....Ever!

It takes a good number of RPM's to get the scooter to roll.

Where's the pictures of the new scooter?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Y'know, if you think about it, hitting the throttle accidentally when it's on the kickstand is safer than hitting the throttle accidentally when someone is actually sitting on the scooter....
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Dennis, I know you will never have a problem with your scooter jumping off the stand, but I am not watched over by the same angel. I need all the safety features out there.

Pictures posting soon. It's too hot to get outside.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Gary, You do realize that the center and side stand will no longer be needed on your scooter when the trike kit is installed. Both of those items will just added none usable weight. We will need to short your side stand switch connector out at that point. Would you like them to be left on so you feel safer?
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 4:24 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
I just read the post from February about it...I should have searched deeper than the term "kickstand" since it's called by other names.

I'll have to think about the lack of a strict "neutral' gear.

Did you come across this topic (4th post down) where MOWing wired in a diode to allow the bike to start with the kickstand down only when the parking brake is engaged? I haven't done this yet, but probably will at some point (maybe next time I have some of the body off in that area). That seems like the best solution for those of us who want to be able to warm the bike up with the kickstand down but might do something stupid like ride off with the stand down (I did that once on a older bike - the first left turn/lean wasn't fun Kickstand Kill Switch Icon_redface ).
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Hey guys,
For what it's worth, other non scooter motorcycles have sidestand lockout switches as well. The 2006 GoldWing I just sold will start and run fine with the sidestand down, but as soon as you snick it into gear, the engine will stop. You either have to retract the sidestand or put it back into neutral to restart it. This eliminates the excitement of taking off with the stand down and doing acrobatics on the first left turn. It saved me the embarrasment a couple of times.

It's been a while since I owned it, but I seem to recall that the BMW RT1100 that I had for a while also would not start or run with the sidestand down. If you wanted to warm it up (highly recommended, as it was a cold natured beast), you had to put it on the center stand.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 7:31 pm

GaryL wrote:
...The 2006 GoldWing I just sold will start and run fine with the sidestand down, but as soon as you snick it into gear, the engine will stop. You either have to retract the sidestand or put it back into neutral to restart it...

My Ninja 250 was the same way, and I'm guessing that that's probably the standard configuration for most bikes (especially those that don't have a center stand). I can see why Honda wouldn't want to allow any starting with it down (liability issues and such), but it does get annoying to have to set the bike on the center stand if I want to start it before getting on...
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Dennis, those babies will need to come off of course. Thanks for reminding me. Just got home about 45 minutes ago. Been thanking God for the safe trip and for matching me up with another great Swing. I can now start the early steps of contacting seat and body man about painting the fenders and the really minor scratches on the rear panels of this scoot. I will have all that done before ever getting to our place. I have a few early pictures I will post sometime soon. I am a little beat and for some unknown reason my left foot is really bothering me right now. It is hard to concentrate on other things beside my feet trouble. I will takie a pain pill in the next 5 or so minutes. I go to the Doctor tomorrow at 330pm. Gonna get some more pain pills.
Later
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 pm

The sidestand switch on the MuZ will cut out if the clutch is released and the bike is in gear when the stand is down. GOOD.
The starter will fire the engine if the bike is in gear and the clutch is NOT activated with the stand down. BAD
One learns the correct sequence very quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Kill Switch   Kickstand Kill Switch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickstand Kill Switch
Page 1 of 1