Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kickstand foot enlarger

Go down 
+6
Easyrider
gavinfdavies
vmaximus
Meldrew
carolina wing rider
bikehiker
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Kickstand foot enlarger Empty
PostSubject: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 12:46 pm

In these soft lawn days of winter when the ground sometimes thaws enough to become soft and wet, I have to use my portable unattached stand enlarger to keep bike stand from stabbing the ground and the bike from flopping over while I open/close my shed doors. Is there anyone who has found or made a reliable kickstand shoe enlarger that can be safely attached to the side stand? My first one broke off the screws and epoxy. The Swing offers only a small footprint for its absurdly heavy weight.

Thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 pm

If this only happens while in your driveway or yard keep a small piece of 1X4 board nearby your stopping point. Cheap but effective.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 pm

As you're in the US, www.twistedthrottle.com have a good selection under 'sidestand foot enlarger'. Whether any of them fit the dimensions of the side stand on the Silver Wing I've no idea.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks, guys.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Look on Ebay ones that bolt onto the foot of the side stand are between £10.50 and £15.00 GBP plastic ones that just fit under the s/stand are approx. 99p.GBP from China. or use a piece of board or Alloy checker plate and put under the seat when not in use. Pud.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Yeah, temporarily I'm keeping a small piece of 1" thick board in the glove box for kick stand use. Would be nice to have a proper solution.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 3:06 pm

I made mine using two electrical junction box covers screwed to each other with a wire zip tie looped through a hole connected to about 5feet of braided cord. On one side I used a round adhesive wall protector and on the opposite side I used three strips of adhesive rubber. The cord is so I can retrieve my puck. I will try to attach some pictures.

I store it with my tools, and torch/flashlight
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/44/44/74/storag10.jpg

This is the top with cross hairs
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/44/44/74/topsid10.jpg

This is the underside
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/44/44/74/unders10.jpg
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 3:48 pm

I have a couple of plastic sidestand plates that were promotional freebies, and a big square of alloy checker plate than I was given at an MZ Riders Club rally over 30 years ago. That was high- tech as squares of scrap wood or flattened tins and cans from litter bins were then the norm.

For the odd time that I have to use the sidestand on a campsite field or similar soft ground,the plastic ones are fine. Normally the sole use of the sidestand is for getting on and off.

So paying anything from a tenner for an alloy screw on sidestand enlarger plate from China off eBay might be fine if you could find one to fit the Silver Wings stand.

Going upmarket you can expect to pay £40 or more for one from Givi, SW-Motech, and Touratech. They're all targeting the adventure bike rider, and one or two of them could well be used on the Silver Wing, but they don't list what other bikes/maxi scooters they fit.

I'll stick to using that freebie plastic sidestand puck.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 am

Meldrew I'm not saying that alloy ones that I mentioned are for the silverwing but the plastic ones at 99p post paid are worth a go. I have also been down the route of using a crushed beer can but now I an a bit hi tech and use a square of laminate floorboard.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 5:38 am

I looked on eBay and I was quite surprised at the sheer number of brightly coloured alloy sidestand foot enlargers were available. Unlike a couple of years ago when there were only available from mainly German suppliers for BMW and KTM adventure bikes. I have read about home mechanics welding plates onto side stands, but not everyone has welding gear and the skills to use it.

Maybe the fact that the Silver Wing was getting long in the tooth and has been discontinued is the reason there isn't a plate made for them.

Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 6:21 am

Meldrew wrote:
not everyone has welding gear and the skills to use it.

I have & I have, next time you're down my way pop in & I'll be happy to fit one for you bud Smile
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 am

Bikehiker, I think your problem is the soft ground that's water logged and frost-heaved. A small enlarger will not do the trick. You would probably need a good square foot piece of plywood to be secure on the lawn. Keep it in the shed.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 am

cotetoi wrote:
Bikehiker, I think your problem is the soft ground that's water logged and frost-heaved. A small enlarger will not do the trick. You would probably need a good square foot piece of plywood to be secure on the lawn. Keep it in the shed.
Jay.

Point well taken. I have to always fish out my larger diameter portable foot that I keep in my Swing glove box (with attached string to hang on handlebars for retrieval), but that's also been an annoyance, too. Regardless, my issue is really the super soft ground that you described. Just have to bite the bullet. But I am still planning to attach a permanent larger foot for mixed terrain away from home. I'm getting some good ideas here.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 pm

I'd sure like to see the design (shape) of "kickstand foot enlarger" which will not gouge into the floor skirt when the kickstand is parked.

I keep 4" x 4" glavanized metal cover plate for a 4" electrical box on hand for just such a squishy parking occasion. Less than $1 at Home Depot or Lowes.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Yup. Good source. Good idea.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 pm

My friend's yard is soft sand and weeds, my bike sinks everywhere. I buried a 12" patio paver level with the ground, so now I have a permanent parking space.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I'd sure like to see the design (shape) of "kickstand foot enlarger" which will not gouge into the floor skirt when the kickstand is parked.

I keep 4" x 4" glavanized metal cover plate for a 4" electrical box on hand for just such a squishy parking occasion. Less than $1 at Home Depot or Lowes.

Tim

Exactly what I use. See my earlier post with pictures of my DIY puck. Here in Hawaii, there are a lot of places you need the puck. Especially going to the beach. Either sand or very wet ground requiring the puck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand foot enlarger   Kickstand foot enlarger I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickstand foot enlarger
Page 1 of 1