Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front brake check!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Front brake check! Empty
PostSubject: Front brake check!   Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 am

Over the last few days I thought I may have a front brake problem.

I decided on my first good day off to check out the pads and disc for grit dirt etc. Knowing my last bike, (Burgman 400), I allowed a wee while to remove the offending objects.

Not needed.

Mr. Honda has certainly thought about regular maintenance.

Out manual, good read of relevant section and then to garage to collect tools. (Well one 5 mm allen key)

I don a pair of rubber gloves and set to the task in hand. Apply pressure to caliper to push pistons back into place.

Remove rubber cap from head of 5 mil bolt.

Undo and remove the pin.

Out pop 2 brake pads.

Carry out a good visual inspection and upon finding nothing, replace pads, pin and rubber cap. Squeeze both brake levers, (linked brakes), to reseat pistons and job done.

Ten minutes including reading the manual and recovering bike.

I love my Honda. What a dream to work on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Front brake check! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake check!   Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:50 am

When I first bought mine last year (used bike), I thought my front brake was not very impressive. I looked at it without bothering to read the manual (I also refuse to ever ask for directions Smile ) and found it to be just like a car brake. Turned out that one of the two front brake calipers was sticky. Works a lot better now.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Front brake check! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake check!   Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Remember to replace the brake fluid which is hydroscopic (attracts water moisture). The service manual says to replace the brake fluid every 12,000 miles or 2 years.

I replaced the brake fluid with synthetic brake fluid to be able to withstand higher temperatures.

After I replaced the brake fluid, the brakes felt like they were new.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Front brake check! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake check!   Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:54 pm

So far, I am still riding on the original (2003) brake fluid. Original owner said he had not replaced it, and could not see any reason why it should be replaced (and he did not mind performing maintenance on his three bikes). I was worried about moisture in the fluid.

Since then, I have not worried about it much. Brakes work fine. I don't think that the resevoirs vent to the atmosphere, so they should not pick up moisture. I will probably have it done during the winter, as well as getting the coolant changed.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Front brake check! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake check!   Front brake check! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:31 pm

buddy19520 wrote:
So far, I am still riding on the original (2003) brake fluid. Original owner said he had not replaced it, and could not see any reason why it should be replaced (and he did not mind performing maintenance on his three bikes). I was worried about moisture in the fluid.

Since then, I have not worried about it much. Brakes work fine. I don't think that the resevoirs vent to the atmosphere, so they should not pick up moisture. I will probably have it done during the winter, as well as getting the coolant changed.

The braking system is not hermetically sealed, so moisture can and does get in from the joints and seals . When you apply brakes, brake fluid can get heated and boil. This had some interesting information and chart http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm .

I could even feel/hear the difference when walking or backing up the SWing after switching the brake fluid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front brake check! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake check!   Front brake check! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front brake check!
Page 1 of 1