Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Why J. Costa works so well

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Why J. Costa works so well Empty
PostSubject: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:02 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Am I correct in interpreting then that any variator/clutch mod that would rapidly get you to 5500 RPMs would get similar results as the J Costa? Like maybe lightweight Variator Rollers or Sliders combined with upgraded (say Malossi red or yellow) clutch springs?

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:41 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Oops!, My mistake. I meant "interpreting". Oh well, it is the start of a holiday weekend.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:49 am

My J Costa seems to work different from bigbird's.

If I am at a standstill and go WOT, it will hit 6900 or 7000 rpms. It will hold it until about 60 mph at which point it will start to drop a bit as speed continues to increase. It really is close to 7000 rpm, not 5500 rpm, on my scoot. Believe me, I have witnessed it many, many times since installing the J Costa!

I had read an article somewhere that stated that the engine has two horsepower peaks - 5500 and 7000, with 7000 having just a bit more hp.

Not sure why mine would be different - it is the only engine or transmission mod that I have done. Stock size tires (first IRC's then Diablos). Factory clutch.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:26 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 pm

[quote="bigbird]
The J. Costa not only gets to 5500 rpm, but it stays there under the acceleration conditions. That is as much a function of the sliding pins as the shape of the drive sheave face.

... it's the shape of the sheave that maintains the 5500 rpm spot. This is done by varying the ratio of the front of the belt to hold the 5500 rpm no matter what the road speed of the Swing.[/quote]

So is it the shape (profile) of Ramp Plate and the variator Roller (Slider) Weight tracks --as in the OEM variator assy-- which effects the performance? Or is it the face angle of the belt pulley section of the variator which is changed?

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 am

bigbird wrote:
Tim: I'm no engineer. I believe from my snowmobile experience, which use a similar CVT, that the profile of the ramp plate in conjunction with the slider weights governs the rpm rise and the face angle ultimately determines the gear ratio. These three variables work together. I'm sure the J. Costa engineers did lots of tinkering with the ramp profile against which the sliders push and the face angle which grabs the belt between the sheaves for forward motion.

If that is so, then it may be the 'odd' shape of the Dr Pulley variator Sliders which effectively alter the profile angle(s) of both the ramp plate as well as variator's roller tracks and seem to deliver the significant difference in performance over variator Roller weights.

Maybe that 'odd' shape Slider weight serves to infinitely (non-linearly) alter the ramp profile, as the the Slider's rounded as well as angled faces both come into play as the weight advances up the ramp to change ratios.

Sheesh, talk about a lot of out-of-the-box ramp profile engineering...

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why J. Costa works so well   Why J. Costa works so well I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why J. Costa works so well
Page 1 of 1