Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First oil change observations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

First oil change observations Empty
PostSubject: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 6:23 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Good on ya BB. Good point on the specialized drain plug idea. Honda especially, seems to have been really good about R+D'ing service access, and sensibility. Two opposite examples, My BMW r60, compared to that work of art Ducati that visited my garage. On the Beemer, I could adjust the valves, on the side of the road, at midnight, with a flashlight, and the fine tool kit supplied with the bike. With the Ducati........A Desmo valve adjust, only at the dealer, every 6k, minimum $500 to $800.
Your point about those old 60's two valve Hondas, a lot are still alive and well today. Old Gorilla's, QA 50's that is, are still available on Ebay, and will last another 50 yrs, with regular, easy access maintenance. Hats off to Honda for keeping the rider #1.
Now I dont know if I would want to re-ring one of those oval piston Honda Super bikes tho. Take care...Jeff.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 8:45 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi BB. Good call on cam removals, and standing up for the Duke, still my choice for the "Hooligan bike of all time". My cross to bear was the 851 SB.
What about the shim and buckets on the Silverwing. Will you do you own valve checks. Good point, since she's a bit of a parallel twin laying almost horizontal, what's the consideration on the service??, and your guess on hours for the service?
Oh, and my math skills.......I went to a Catholic grade school and was taught that the metric system was the devils handiwork.....I occasionally think of this, especially when I grab a 13mm "T" handle. Oop, it's Sunday........ Jeff.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 8:15 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi BB. Your post says alot about the mechanically aware. There are 20 yr old CBR 600 riders who live at 15k revs,always bouncing off the limiter, and then there are the rest of us who will probably go a lifetime without shim additions, or reductions. I'm what I would call "mechanically sympathetic", so I share your hope or prediction for a trouble free relationship with the Silverwing. I still actually enjoy the "screw/locknut" ritual on my XR 250 tho......Hey.... What's cooler....Hockey, or Curling? Jeff.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:56 pm

BB......everything I know about Curling I learned from an episode of Corner Gas, a Canadien sit-com about.......well you of all people should understand my pale attempt at humor, ya "Hoser". [ I have to watch Bob and Doug again sometime].
I have read good reviews about your SH 150, strange that the drain path would be over some hard parts. We still own an Elite 150, and am impressed every time I ride it.....just how good a 25 yr old honda can be.
Well if you "hurry hard", I'll " throw third stone". Jeff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 3:26 pm

There have been some posts somewhere about difficulties removing the ST 7317 oil filter sold by Wal Mart. Don't remember where but seems the metal was thin and tended to rip making removal messy and troublesome.
I had to use a big crescent wrench and crunch the filter to get it turned off. The right sized wrench kept slipping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First oil change observations   First oil change observations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First oil change observations
Page 1 of 1