Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

J. Costa specific questions for JeffR

Go down 
+3
The Scootist
JeffR
bigbird
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

J. Costa specific questions for JeffR Empty
PostSubject: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:00 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:39 pm

bigbird,

I had the J. Costa for a while and changed the pins twice and then decided to install the Dr Pulley sliders. The J. Costa is a really good modification and does smooth it out some. I really liked it except for the pins having to be replaced every 9,000 miles. It seems at that point the rpms start to go up about 200-300 rpms.

It does give a great increase in acceleration and after about 80 indicated the rpms' would start to decrease, compared to the stock variator. Now, I'm not an authority on this, at least not more than many others with the J Costa but I appreciate the confidence in me. It has been a year or so since I had the Costa on my bike so maybe others can chime in as to how much smoother the Costa is vs the stock one.

I just can't remember how much smoother it was, but I remember it being smoother and quieter. The pins were $65 a set and I put 10,000 miles a year so it just seemed somewhat expensive year after year.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 11:19 pm

x

Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:53 am

bigbird:
I am really pleased with the J Costa. I have about 8,000 miles on mine and I expect that I will need to change the pins later this year, but the increased performance and smoothness is most definitely worth the cost. I live above 5,000 feet above sea level and weigh about 235lbs, so the combination is quite a load going up and down the mountains. The J Costa gives my bike the extra power I need to pass quickly - plus it is just plain fun.
DCC
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 1:21 am

I put a J Costa on mine in January and have put about 1200 miles on since then. I love the extra power and tend to do too many WOT starts. I do think that it is smoother than with the stock variator - the stock variator made the dash rumble and the JC only has the smallest of rumbles.

One drawback is the increased gas consumption. My mpg had gone from 51 to about 48 before installation. After installation, it has since dropped to as low as 44 for a few tankfuls and has crept back up to 47 mpg (all US gallons). It is probably a combination of the cold weather and being very lead-handed with the throttle.

I bought my scoot for fun, not utility or "savings". I don't regret the $280 expenditure at all. If anything happened to the JC, I would either replace it immediately, or experiment with lighter weight rollers/sliders for a similar performance feel.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm going to try the dr pulleys 28g roller weights next after the pins are worn, see if there is any difference
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Go for it, big bird!! The difference between stock and the Costa is like night and day, so long as your expectations are reasonable (hey, its not a turbo/supercharger). In my mind its what should've come on the bike (much like the Givi windshield).

I don't worry about how many miles I put on as we get only 3-4 decent riding months in Newfoundland. The pins will probably outlast me!! J. Costa specific questions for JeffR Icon_cheers

My latest mods are mirror extensions and a Leroy style rider backrest that provides me with a nice backrest instead of a buttrest. I used a slightly different approach as the brackets I made were shaped like a lightening rod (helps move the seat forward while maintaining the correct angle.

Captain
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:02 pm

x

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 4:40 pm

x

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 5:14 pm

bigbird,

Matt has great customer service. I remember when I ordered the J. Costa one of the pins broke and he sent one out the next day, even though I told him it would be a couple of weeks before I installed it. Don't worry though, he said I was the first one that a pin cracked. It was probably dropped by one of the shippers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Bigbird,

There's a pictorial on here somewhere (believe its Jeff's) of how to do the install. I wouldn't even attempt it without having a paper copy for reference (of course, you may be machanically inclined whereas I'm still working on legos). J. Costa specific questions for JeffR Icon_lol

Cap'n
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 8:13 pm

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:42 pm

x

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:45 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 9:16 pm

The most obvious J. Costa improvement for me was a serious reduction in vibration when you're pulling out. It's a bit more zippy too.
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 10:52 am

I put my JC on last year and enjoy the scooter a whole lot more now. Got rid of the belt slap and vibrations, alot more "pull" through the entire powerband. But like they have said, your mpg drops a little. (not sure, but this might have something to do with my more "spirited" driving though...LOL)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa specific questions for JeffR   J. Costa specific questions for JeffR I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J. Costa specific questions for JeffR
Page 1 of 1