Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Forza specific oil?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Forza specific oil? Empty
PostSubject: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 7:17 am

Meldrew, you mention a specific oil. I changed mine last summer and basically used the same oil as in the Silver Wing...did the oil and final drive. I didn't see anywhere a different requirement. Is this due to yours being the 2nd Gen and mine the original or did I miss something?

OMG did I just post an OIL thread, egad?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 10:18 am

I have no knowledge of specific oil for the previous versions of the Forza 300 or even the newer Forza 350, only the 2018-2020 Forza 300 I have

I idly looked at the oil recommended in my Forza 300 Owner’s Manual one day, The usual viscosity, API, JASO, etc, and it was a slightly different spec than the Castrol 10w30 I had used for a few years in my Silver Wing.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 5:35 am

I've just had another look at that oil I ordered for my Forza and I'd forgotten it's 100% Synthetic. No wonder I was grumbling to myself when I collected it that I'd paid a few quid more than if I'd bought it elsewhere.

I realise now that all the other sellers were advertising the cheaper Semi-Synthetic version.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 7:07 am

I believe I used full synthetic 10W-30 Supertech (Walmart) oil. It's about 10 bucks cheaper for a case than Mobil One and seems to work as well.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 10:08 am

Forza specific oil? , Really ??, let's just bury the dead horse already  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 10:56 am

zrx212 wrote:
Forza specific oil? , Really ??, let's just bury the dead horse already  Rolling Eyes

Like you've buried that spare belt under the floorboard of your Silver Wing and need that new bag of DeWalt tools to get at it.  

I didn't start the the topic 'Forza Specific Oil?'  

What I posted originally was I'm due an oil change on my Forza and that the 10w30 oil Honda recommended in my Owners Handbook for my Forza is different from what I'd used in my Silver Wing. Or for that matter all previous maxi scooters I've owned like the 650 and 400 Burgmans, 250 Majesty, and 250 Helix where I've carried out regular oil changes.

I also said because of that slight difference it was more difficult to find.

I deliberately haven’t mentioned how this 10w30 oil that is the correct spec for my Forza differs from the previous oils I've used in maxi scooters. Simply because as far as I'm aware I'm the only 2018-2020 Forza 300 owner on here. It might be the same for the 2021 Forza 350 too, I don't know and neither do you.

Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 4:06 pm

" Like you've buried that spare belt under the floorboard of your Silver Wing and need that new bag of DeWalt tools to get at it. "  

Must be part of the ..... whatever, never mind, I'm out  thumbs up
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 5:53 pm

This post was NOT to stir up problems but just out of curiosity to determine proper oil for the Forza NOT the Silver Wing. This is after all in the Forza section.
Quote from my 2015 manual:

If you use non-Honda engine oil, check the label
to make sure that the oil satisfies all of the
following standards:
● JASO T 903 standard*1: MB
● SAE standard*2: 10W-30
● API classification*3: SJ or higher

To sum up Honda prefers an SJ 10W-30 oil (not energy conserving). Personally I see no reason NOT to use an energy conserving oil as there is no wet clutch but this is what the manual shows.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 9:09 pm

Mobile One 0W40 or 5W40 FS higher Zink levels that's what I use. Don't let the 0 fool you it's a nice viscosity at 50°F or above and a thin 40W at temp.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 6:29 am

The main difference between the oil Honda recommends for a Silver Wing and the Forza is the JASO T903 Standard. This is an index for engine oils for 4-stroke motorcycle engines, and there are two classes MA and MB.  

For the benefit of that bloke in Ocala, it's a JASO T903 MA oil that Honda recommends for the Silver Wing, and a JASO T903 MB oil for both GH-PM and my Forza 300's.

The MB is the specific difference I didn't mention previously. It's only when I was shopping around I realised unlike 10w30 MA oil which is widely available, 10w30 MB oil isn't widely stocked.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 6:53 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Mobile One 0W40 or 5W40 FS higher Zink levels that's what I use. Don't let the 0 fool you it's a nice viscosity at 50°F or above and a thin 40W at temp.

Interesting, however it's 10w30 viscosity and JASO MB oil that Honda recommends for the Forza in the Owner's Handbook.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 9:13 pm

The only real difference between Jaso MA and MB if friction modifiers in the oil. MA is for shared wet clutch and MB is friction modified for slightly better fuel milage. When I say slightly maybe a 1-2% increase with MB oils. MB oils are hard to find for bikes. Full syn. car oils are fine for SW engine or Forza.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forza specific oil?   Forza specific oil? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forza specific oil?
Page 1 of 1