Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silverwing Brakes
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 11:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» LF extended back rest
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Aging out, me

Go down 
+5
GHM-PM
Dale N.
Erdoc48
MUCHoldERwingguy
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 12:38 pm

With 84th birthday approaching in the spring---really nothing interesting to buy in N America ---probably time to quit while I am ahead---with 67 years of daily riding, over 1.4 million 2 wheel miles, 400,000 of them with rubber band drive scooters, guess I am getting tired of dressing up to battle the weather---this winter driving wife's SUV----heaters and AC are nice. Bike experience in 15-20 countries----even in its heyday, the SilverWings were not well looked after by Honda Dealers in US (had 2 new ones, 2009 and left over 2013---zero warranty claims, but in the end they were getting a little heavy and tippy for me.

Going to buy another new Mitsubishi Mirage, my 2nd new one-----Thai made, great gas mileage, heater/defroster work fine ----took mid winter trip across Canada in mine.

If the Honda Cub prices come down to about the $3000-3500 the bike is really worth, may look at one.

Merry Christmas
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 6:36 pm

john grinsel wrote:
With 84th birthday approaching in the spring---really nothing interesting to buy in N America  ---probably time to quit while I am ahead---with 67 years of daily riding, over 1.4 million 2 wheel miles, 400,000 of them with rubber band drive scooters, guess I am getting tired of dressing up to battle the weather---this winter driving wife's SUV----heaters and AC are nice.  Bike experience in 15-20 countries----even in its heyday, the SilverWings were not well looked after by Honda Dealers in US (had 2 new ones, 2009 and left over 2013---zero warranty claims, but in the end they were getting a little heavy and tippy for me.

Going to buy another new Mitsubishi Mirage, my 2nd new one-----Thai made, great gas mileage, heater/defroster work fine ----took mid winter trip across Canada in mine.

If the Honda Cub prices come down to about the $3000-3500 the bike is really worth, may look  at one.

Merry Christmas

At 86 I did much the same, there comes a time this is it.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 7:48 pm

That’s always a tough call- it will eventually happen to all of us, that unfortunate day when we decide we’re better on 4 wheels vs 2. Happily (I hope) I have a while before I have to make that decision. It is important to know your limitations and avoid getting hurt. That’s how I came into my SW. A local gent decided his balance wasn’t that great any longer and he made the right decision for him to give up a 2 wheeler. I wish us all the best of luck when having to come to that point.

Everyone be safe out there!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 10:44 pm

I turned 76 in July and hopefully have a few years left to feel safe and secure on my SWing. I did have it converted over to a trike mainly for that reason. I dumped it a couple of times, nothing serious tho, and decided it was time to give a trike a try. I have no regrets at doing it since once I got used to how it rides and handles I love it. It took a couple of months before I felt more at ease at turning corners and roundabouts etc. but now it's second nature. I still use my 2 wheel skills and keep my attention on the road and traffic. The say to imagine that every other vehicle on the road is out to get you. But that still doesn't take the fun and enjoyment from it.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to ALL members and your families.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 10:56 pm

This topic is something I try not to think about. I can't put into words how much I detest driving (cars), i hate them. When I have to give up the bike I won't be travelling far.

Merry Christmas to all and theirs. Stay warm in the face of some nasty weather across USA and Canada santa
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2022 7:49 am

I understand, John. At 70, I realize my time is limited for driving two-wheelers and pretty much for everything! At least I am happy that I have two scooters as they are easier to ride and still much fun. Not to say I won't ride a motorcycle sometimes...I rode a Kawasaki KLR a couple of weeks ago and my son's new Honda Africa Twin over July 4th. But for now I love my scoots!!!
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2022 8:34 pm

Not far behind John, after downsizing to the best bike for me so far (Yamaha XMax 300), I'm looking in the bathroom and rear-view mirror with that hard realization. Scooter and bicycle trips are getting shorter for me. Four wheels is looking more tempting every day.

And just when I thought walking is now becoming my safest "sport," on a walk in my neighborhood yesterday, my left leg was ripped into by a big, fat, white, furry canine. The only thing that backed him off was my loud mouth (practiced over many years with my wife). After walking a bleeding three blocks back to my house, the EMTs showed up to take me to the hospital where the doctors couldn't stop the bleeding for 4-5 hours trying to tie up a vein. Now even the crutch-assisted walk to the bathroom to pee becomes dangerous. Who'd a thunk it just a few years back?
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2022 4:23 am

To paraphrase Charlton Heston on gun ownership, "You can take away my scooter when you pry the throttle from my cold, dead hand."

With the new year, I will be staring at my 70th birthday in September. When I began riding in my early 20's, I said, "I want to reach the last ride of my life without ever going down once" (so far, so good).

At 69, that last ride is easier to imagine. I'm still on a 600cc scooter and believe I will be for years. But like many aging riders, I can see downsizing due to age ... 500 ... 400 ... 300 ... 200 ... 125.

If I have to, I will eventually buy an electric bicycle to ride around the neighborhood on two wheels. For me, riding is connected to the childhood magic of zooming downhill on a bicycle you never have to pedal. Can't imagine giving that up, even if someday I am an old geezer in a motorized wheelchair. Ride on!

Merry Christmas to all.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Benzon1960
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Benzon1960

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2021-09-22

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 2:33 pm

Getting old is a privilege - and not sure I’m prepared for the alternative. From my H-D days I found this photo which kind of sums it up.  A Merry Christmas to all

Aging out, me 1e073a10
Back to top Go down
https://www.linkedin.com/in/janrosencronevonbenzon/
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 4:36 pm

That made me laugh out loud!

I live in a small cul-de-sac and a short while ago, whilst in my garage, I heard two bikes approaching. I looked round to see two senior citizens on fully kitted Goldwings trying to turn their bikes around so as to exit the cul-de-sac; they had taken a wrong turn.

It must have taken them about 10 minutes to tippy-toe their huge machines, back and forth, into the opposite direction. I had to simply admire their determination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aging out, me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging out, me   Aging out, me I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aging out, me
Page 1 of 1