Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working

Go down 
+2
Erdoc48
dovahkiin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working Empty
PostSubject: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 12:39 am

Hey guys,

So this happened to me last Friday when I was about to ride home from work -

I noticed that my speedometer gauges and backlight were not coming up; nor was my signal lights, honk, T-mode switch, and hazard light able to work. I was, however, able to start up my motorcycle.

Rode it blind to my go-to workshop some 20 kilometres away and the mechanic said that there probably is a broken wire somewhere in the wiring harness and that everything had to be removed in order to find the fault. Told him to give me a quick fix (he did some sort of bypass with a copper wire in the fuse box) and send me on my way because I couldn't afford any more downtime on my Swing.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I'd assume that I was able to start up and ride my Swing blind, that this is purely a wiring issue. However, I am hesitant to get it fixed because I've seen the wiring in this sh*tbox... and it isn't pretty and would probably cost an arm and a leg.

Appreciate your wisdom, thoughts, and advice. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 5:06 am

Personal opinion…these are older bikes now, so you’re right in that it would be an expensive fix, OR, if you had the resources and time, you could elect to tear it all down yourself (I just watched a YouTube video on taking the front plastics off and it didn’t look all that hard, just time consuming), start at the instruments and see where the broken wire is (and I would assume the shop manual would be very helpful as well).

Good luck but I’m sure you can find the short vs broken wire.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 7:06 am

Taking all the fairing off and then putting it back on again, especially with a few broken or seized fixings, is a long job even once you know what your doing. Paying a mechanic hours to do that is going to be expensive.
Why not strip all the fairing yourself and then trailer it down to your mechanic? Then you are only paying him to do the clever stuff.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 8:05 am

What exactly your mechanic did to get you back into service? Which fusse?…Where did the new wire go? If there is a “field expedient” for getting someone up & running and back home then we should know about it.

We all benefit from shared information.

I agree 100% with steve_h80’s suggestion: strip off the body panels and trailer it to your mechanic.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t11101-remove-front-fairing-how-to-video
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 3:52 pm

FWIW, the overwhelming majority electrikery problems are connections or parts related ... not the wire themselves. Seems to me your tech knew what circuit to ... er ... short circuit. That's where I would start.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 3:13 am

I must admit I missed the "field expedient" bit. I'm not sure what you could in a fuse box with a lump of copper wire other than bypass a fuse!
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 7:55 am

steve_h80 wrote:
I must admit I missed the "field expedient" bit. I'm not sure what you could in a fuse box with a lump of copper wire other than bypass a fuse!

Bypassing a fuse most likely will end up letting the smoke out, NOT GOOD.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2022 12:48 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
What exactly your mechanic did to get you back into service? Which fusse?…Where did the new wire go? If there is a “field expedient” for getting someone up & running and back home then we should know about it.

We all benefit from shared information.

I agree 100% with steve_h80’s suggestion: strip off the body panels and trailer it to your mechanic.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t11101-remove-front-fairing-how-to-video

Unfortunately, I do not know the details. If I were to hazard a guess, the mechanic took a copper wire and "attached" it to the wire harness, thereby bypassing some of the faulty wires? It's hap-hazard, but it did the job for a good 2 weeks.

My dashboard lights went out this morning again and I decided to just send it to my main workshop (which I trust wholeheartedly). Got the mechanic to open up the front cowl and check the internal wiring.

Turns out the issue was a burned out relay. It's the one closest to the fusebox. It was evident that the plastic component of the relay melted quite noticeably.

Anyway, he also helped to sort out and remove some redundant wiring left by the previous owners and set me on my way. A 4-hour job which cost me just slightly over USD100.

With that said, I hope this is the last fix I have to do in a long time. Feels like this Swing of mine spends more time in the workshop than on the road!
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2022 10:39 pm

Anyway, he also helped to sort out and remove some redundant wiring left by the previous owners and set me on my way. A 4-hour job which cost me just slightly over USD100. <<>> that is a heckuva deal at 100 USD. A good independent shop here is that for 1 hour, dealers a LOT more. It's to have it fixed.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2022 9:22 am

Local shop rates.

$ 100.00 standard, 1 hour minimum.
$ 150.00 if you watch.
$ 175.00 if you try to help.
$ 200.00 if you worked on it first and screw it up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working   Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working
Page 1 of 1