Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silverwing Brakes
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 10:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» LF extended back rest
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 6:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 am

» checking the oil
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 9:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 6:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 4:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 7:11 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 11:11 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 5:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Laminar Lip

Go down 
+4
steve_h80
Mech 1 twa
john grinsel
sonuvabug
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 9:35 am

I’ve been having serious buffeting and noise problems with my 2006 Silverwing, especially when traveling the interstate. I’m 6’1” but with a 31” inseam much of my height is in the torso, not the legs. I do like more air passing through the cockpit than some, especially during the summer.

I had noticed that if I tucked down about two inches, a lot of the noise abated, but not necessarily the buffeting. I prefer to ride with my helmet visor open and the internal sun visor down/deployed. With the stock windshield, however, the external visor would always slam shut when I went over 60mph. Under 60mph I had a bad whistle from the open visor.

This is a common problem that’s been discussed ad nauseum. The consensus seems to be to install the Givi Airflow. It gets good reviews.

But I also read everything I could here and elsewhere about the Laminar Lip option. Reviews were not as universally positive as the Givi option.

I went ahead and ordered a Laminar Lip anyhow. I’m on limited income and I suspected just a couple inches more of “headroom” behind the stock windshield would solve a good bit of my problem.

The Lip came yesterday and I just tried it out at interstate speeds this morning.

It made a huge difference. The ride is much more quiet. Now my visor stays open and doesn’t budge at over 70mph, and no more whistle.

I realized this morning that unlike before I can hear my engine, exhaust and other vehicles now. It actually startled me at first; I thought my Silverwing was making odd clangs then realized it was a big equipment trailer I was following.

If all you need is a couple more inches of “headroom” within the pocket of air behind your stock Honda windshield, or a quieter ride, then yes, I can recommend it. Laminar Lip 621d0810
Laminar Lip Ad95d810

Last edited by BrianInVA on Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 11:58 am

Good detailed description and write-up.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 1:29 pm

Laminar Lips work to a degree. Make sure your bolt it on, after you find right height. I lost one in Minneapolis rush hour traffic on big bump. Honda Reflex
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 2:36 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Laminar Lips work to a degree.   Make sure your bolt it on, after you find right height.   I lost one in Minneapolis rush hour traffic on big bump.   Honda Reflex
What type of “bolt” is recommended for this? I’ve seen references to nylon bolts for this specific application?
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 7:37 pm

Yeah, but Givi offers more wind protection in hand area and height adjustment is nice for hot cold days.
Buffeting or not sometimes need that air into helmet this time of year. Givi has about 4 inches of travel in height and works well. The only thing I don't like about Givi is sometimes bug splatter gets behind or between the two parts but normal, I guess. Keep the lock nuts adjusted for a tight grip some others have had top screen fly off.

Two or Four 5-6 MM bolts drilled in shield should hold it. Nylon fasteners will work and is more of a safety thing, so it snaps off from an impact.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 2:42 am

Laminar Lips are fine - I had them on my X9s and my first Silverwing - but for the Lip to work properly on the Silverwing you MUST have the additional Laminar Wings. Ask me how I know. Wink
In due course, I fitted the adjustable Givi screen and didn't regret doing so.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 9:49 am

I agree ---to really enjoy SilverWing ride, less buffeting GIVI adjustable windshield best---no perfect but best. I speak from almost 100,000 SilverWing miles.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 10:26 am

Meanwhile due to the current heatwave I've removed my screen, refitted the garnish and enjoyed some pleasant, err, naked, riding 😀
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 10:56 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Meanwhile due to the current heatwave I've removed my screen, refitted the garnish and enjoyed some pleasant, err, naked, riding 😀

Here's a TIP: you don't need to remove the windscreen to ride naked.  Wink
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 2:17 pm

MikeO wrote:
for the Lip to work properly on the Silverwing you MUST have the additional Laminar Wings.
What exactly do the ears accomplish in your experience that the lip alone won’t? (I’ll be ordering the ears too eventually. When you’re on a limited income you have to make some less than satisfactory compromises. Frankly I couldn’t afford the Givi right now, unfortunately.)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 2:24 pm

I think it all has to do with the fact the Silverwing screen is rather narrow.
In truth, I don't know exactly but, my having decided not to buy the ears - I knew better - the Lip itself wasn't as effective as the ones on my X9.
I believe the people at Laminar Lip know what they are doing and endeavour to produce good stuff.
Indeed, there wasn't a Lip for the X9 until a member of the XX9OC sent an X9 screen from England to the States so they could design one. LL paid the postage both ways and included a free Lip as a thank-you.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2022 8:21 pm

MikeO wrote:
I think it all has to do with the fact the Silverwing screen is rather narrow.
In truth, I don't know exactly but, my having decided not to buy the ears - I knew better - the Lip itself wasn't as effective as the ones on my X9.
I believe the people at Laminar Lip know what they are doing and endeavour to produce good stuff.
Indeed, there wasn't a Lip for the X9 until a member of the XX9OC sent an X9 screen from England to the States so they could design one. LL paid the postage both ways and included a free Lip as a thank-you.
I finally got the Laminar ears to go along with my Laminar Lip and you’re right, they do make a big difference versus just the Laminar Lip alone.
Laminar Lip 4fdadf10
Laminar Lip 292c5310

In the long run I might well have liked the Givi option better, but I must say I’m very pleased with the Laminar Lip and ears combo. They accomplished exactly what I was hoping for. They eliminated head buffeting and road noises and let me ride with my visor open. The visor used to slam shut above 55-60mph. I finally had a chance today to see what the new limit is - it won’t slam shut till at least 85mph now.

By the way, the owner Andy at Laminar Lip was absolutely top notch to deal with. He really went above and beyond when it came to questions and customer service, to a degree rarely found among businesses today.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 4:05 am

You probably would have liked the Givi option better, but you've at least made the useless OE screen better.

What I find rather curious are your comments about riding with the visor open, it slamming shut at speed and all the rest of it. Now with this Laminar Lip fitted it's now slamming shut at at least 85mph… really?

I haven't had a helmet visor on any style of helmet slamming shut at speed as you poetically call it since the crude old full face helmets of the 70's and 80's that had visors secured by press studs or glorified buttons, long before ratchet systems were developed and became standard on all helmets.

Surely that HJC helmet that you're wearing in your rather sinister looking avatar photo has a decent ratchet system to prevent this.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 4:29 am

Meldrew wrote:
You probably would have liked the Givi option better, but you've at least made the useless OE screen better.

What I find rather curious are your comments about riding with the visor open, it slamming shut at speed and all the rest of it. Now with this Laminar Lip fitted it's now slamming shut at at least 85mph… really?
Yeah, really. Very frustrating. Fortunately I rarely ever hit those speeds, but the guy leading our group yesterday was riding aggressively and I was last, trying to keep up.  

I’ve never had a helmet do this before. I’ve had other full face HJC helmets over the years and the visor always stayed open while riding at whatever point it was adjusted. Since I picked up this current HJC, I’ve seen discussions online where this problem was specifically noted. I guess I could simply remove the visor, but I like to have it ready should I run into rain.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 5:00 am

Ahh… rain, especially riding in prolonged rain. That's the real test of how effective a replacement screen and any additions really are. Now if just moving your head slightly clears raindrops building up on your visor and those Laminar Ears prevent wet gloves and cold hands, that's money well spent.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 5:42 am

I actually just upgraded to a Clearview shield with the 5 position vent - it has the lateral ‘ears’ built in- the Laminar lip looks like a good addition- I have a couple of them in the garage- the Clearview works well (I got the small size which is 1” over OEM- maybe I should have elected the medium size as I get just a bit of wind roar with this shield, but no buffeting):

Laminar Lip 670a9410

Laminar Lip 7c571d10

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 6:04 am

Very pleased the ears are proving effective.
I know from the experience many years ago with the X9 Laminar Lip that the company are very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Laminar Lip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laminar Lip   Laminar Lip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laminar Lip
Page 1 of 1