Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver Empty
PostSubject: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 2:00 pm

I'm about to rebuild my front end and so far so good. However, I'm struggling to find a proper piece of tube in order to drive the lower stem bearing into position.

As it happens, the upper fork tube is the perfect diameter to fit the inner ring of my new bearing. Could I use the fork tube as driver? Of course I'd need to cushion the blow from the top but is the fork tube up to it? affraid
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 2:28 pm

If you are referring to the lower bearing race, use the old race and a socket to drive in the new race. I ground down the outer surface of the old race so that it would slide out after seating the new race. I would not use your fork tubes.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 2:39 pm

Problem is, I'm changing to roller bearings so the old race had to be destroyed in order to get it off the stem. It's the height of the stem which is creating the problem; i.e. I don't have a socket that deep.

I can't find a PVC pipe or metal tube which matches the diameter of the 'inner ring' of the new bearing. If I hit the 'outer ring' it will wreck the new bearing. This is my final hurdle before I can start rebuilding everything Mad
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 6:35 pm

Don't hate me but I used a big flat screwdriver and a hammer and just tapped my way around the stem bearing to get it seated on the triple clamp. Take your time and make sure whatever you use as a driver is sitting square on the bearing lip. You can also use some thermal difference to help, if you freeze the stem and heat the bearing (as hot as you like) you increase the clearance and make driving a little easier provided you work quickly.

I also think using the fork tube is too risky, one end has fine thread and the other has the check valve and bottoming cone.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 8:33 pm

Find the proper tool. Bearing driver kit is the best option cones are aluminum and comes with handle to drive them. Punch or flat screwdriver can work but if you slip race will be scratched. Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver Bearin10

Many auto stores will rent them over here don't know about UK.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 9:46 pm

Those drivers are great for the bearings that drive into the frame, but no use for the bearing on the steering stem.

Mr Honda suggests using a "30mm attachment" and a hydraulic press to install the steering stem bearing. Any decent 30mm id steel pipe would be useful plus a hammer, but PVC (which works great for fork seals) might not have the rigidity to drive a steel bearing.

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 2:40 am

A screwdriver?...Yikes! Did it do any damage to the 'inner ring'? I could resort to that if pushed. I'm leaning away from using the fork tube though, it may also shatter the chrome.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 3:40 am

Nope, no damage at all. Easy access all round, just take your time.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 7:45 pm

The hammer and screwdriver method works infinitely better with two people working on opposite sides and tapping in tandem. I would find a way to heat it even if I had to resort to the kitchen oven.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver   Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using Fork Tube as a Bearing Driver
Page 1 of 1