Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fork Tube socket size

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Fork Tube socket size Empty
PostSubject: Fork Tube socket size   Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Can someone tell me the socket size of the fork cap bolt on the fork tube. The one that you remove to drain the fork oil. I'm installing the HyperPros and need to get an impact wrench socket.
Thanks,
Wendell
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Fork Tube socket size   Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Could it be a (GASP) ENGLISH size!? Something like 7/8ths inch or so? I don't have a conversion chart, but I know that a 15/16ths box wrench fits the oil drain plug perfectly.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Fork Tube socket size   Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 6:17 pm

bigbird wrote:
thomphoto wrote:
Can someone tell me the socket size of the fork cap bolt on the fork tube. The one that you remove to drain the fork oil. I'm installing the HyperPros and need to get an impact wrench socket.
Thanks,
Wendell

Your timing is impeccable. I am doing the same job either later today or tomorrow. I will be loosening my caps while the forks are still on the Swing (my front cover is off for other work), so I have to use a wrench. I checked this morning and it's a rather loose fitting 22mm. I didn't have a 21mm wrench so I borrowed one to make sure. It's definitely not 21mm. I may just use a Crescent wrench, as the 22mm combination has too much free play for my liking. Anyone else find the fork caps to be a loose fitting 22mm?

I don't remember what size I used (definitely metric, sounds like it was probably a 22mm), but, whatever size it was, I don't remember thinking it was too loose or wanting something in-between. I definitely used a 6-point socket, if you're using a 12-point then it might feel looser.

I would strongly recommend using a socket or closed end wrench (preferably 6-point) over an open end or Crescent wrench whenever feasible: A socket or closed-end grabs on all 6 sides, Crescent or open-end only grabs on 2, so you run a lower risk of rounding off the cap with a closed-end or socket. I think most good 6-point sockets, particularly impacts, have a little rounded cut-out at the corners (do a Google image search and you can see what I mean). That design applies force to the sides of the nut rather than the corners, which reduces round-off.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Tube socket size   Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 pm

bigbird wrote:
The torque on the fork cap is only 17 ft.lbs. I would think that rounding of the bolt wouldn't be a problem. It's not like they're cranked on like lug nuts.

True, it's probably not a big concern, but they are aluminum, so a light touch is in order - don't go manhandling it or try to show off by torquing it to 18 ft-lb Wink
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Fork Tube socket size   Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks to all of you for the great information. Is it possible to loosen the cap while the forks are still intact without taking off the front tupperware? I have an impact wrench and planned on using that after I take the forks off. I'll try the metric 22 and see if that works. Seems like the manual would specify the nut sizes, but doesn't.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Tube socket size   Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:10 pm

thomphoto wrote:
Is it possible to loosen the cap while the forks are still intact without taking off the front tupperware? I have an impact wrench and planned on using that after I take the forks off.

I don't know for sure, but it doesn't seem likely - there's probably too much other stuff in the way. You might try removing the right glove box and/or the handle bar covers (i.e., the easier parts) and see how it looks from there. Getting them apart won't be an issue with the impact - but the reassembly is tricky without a vise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork Tube socket size   Fork Tube socket size I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork Tube socket size
Page 1 of 1