Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Buying older, low mileage Silverwing

Go down 
+3
sonuvabug
Cosmic_Jumper
lpreston
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lpreston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-09-12

Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  Empty
PostSubject: Buying older, low mileage Silverwing    Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 2:27 pm

I am seriously considering purchase of 2009 Silverwing with less than 2,000 miles. Always stored inside, looks showroom new, started and ran well on a short test ride. A bit worried about issues cropping up due to such little use. Should I be?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Buying older, low mileage Silverwing    Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Change the oil and final drive oil. Thoroughly inspect the tires and expect to replace them due to age. Add Seafoam to the fuel tank. Add a mudflap to the front fender to keep crud from the radiator. You might want to have a new belt on hand anyway. You'll eventually need it.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Buying older, low mileage Silverwing    Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2021 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard the board Ipreston. A couple years back I too bought an '09 with low mileage (about 3,000 miles). It already had 3 documented oil changes when I bought it ... likely nothing else. It had three older owners ... all friends. The first two passed away. The third one hardly rode it per doctor's orders (vertigo). Hence the low mileage and driveway drops.

However, the one I bought was not pristine. It had been down on both sides and had scratches & scrapes and a few cracked panels. I replaced (with brand new pieces) what was badly damaged and repaired and repainted the rest. It's in pretty good cosmetic shape now (8/10) and in excellent mechanical shape (9/10). After inspection, I decided to continue running the original drive belt but per Tim's advice, I have a newer one as backup just in case.

I have been riding on the original (2008 dated) Hoop tires as I didn't see any weather checking, spider webbing or dry rot on them. Just turned 7,500 miles on my scoot with no issues and I will run these tires until they wear out. I have new, replacement tires in hand just in case I need them.

The majority of members on this site will recommend to change out any original 12+ year old tires with new ones. That's actually very sound advice unless you are confident in your inspection abilities, tire/rubber knowledge and are prepared to assume the initial higher risk.
Back to top Go down
lpreston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2021-09-12

PostSubject: Older, low mikesge   Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 1:16 am

Thank you very much for the clear, helpful advice.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Buying older, low mileage Silverwing    Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 3:17 am

As mentioned above but I would replace the belt and tyres, rubbery things harden when left unused for too long leading to lack of grip in tyres and the dreaded "ping" (or whatever noice a snapping rubber band makes) followed by lack of mobility with the belt..
All are cheap enough to replace for peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Buying older, low mileage Silverwing    Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2021 8:11 am

Good advice above, replacing now gives you the peace of mind, my 05 had 8k I did all fluids and rubber bit, cleaned the final drive area and a new foam filter for the drive.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Buying older, low mileage Silverwing    Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 12:30 am

Welcome aboard Ipreston. All the info above is great advice to follow. I bought my 08 SWing in 2014 and it had sat under a tarp for 2 years in FL. My sister owned it and dumped/tipped it over in the driveway trying to get off of it a couple of times so it didn't have any "fall" damage, Whew!
I trailered it back to MN and did all the TLC info mentioned above plus had a Motor Trike conversion done to it in 2018 with no regrets. It's a great Scooter and I don't think you'll have any regrets purchasing it and riding it. It's a bit of a learning curve tho seeing as it's an "automatic" tranny. Just don't confuse the left lever for a clutch lever. And the clutch engages/disengages at about 2000 rpms which is normal.
Back to top Go down
Lastangel66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2021-10-15

PostSubject: '04 SW With 2200 miles   Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am

The old beauty fell in my lap back in October. The person I purchased from is a well known private dealer. When he purchased he added new tires, changed the fuel lines, it had sat for a while, and changed all the fluids. I have since added 300 miles and just want to know what I should inspect before a ride.
Thanks
Angelo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying older, low mileage Silverwing    Buying older, low mileage Silverwing  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying older, low mileage Silverwing
Page 1 of 1