Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Throttle Grip Feels Weird

Go down 
+6
Meldrew
steve_h80
Dale N.
Mech 1 twa
JamieB
Loosemarbles
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Throttle Grip Feels Weird Empty
PostSubject: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 pm

I don't know if it's my imagination but my throttle twist grip feels like its 'snagging' very very slightly on opening up when the bike is stationery without the engine running. It's not noticeable when riding. Shutting off seems fine.

I haven't ridden the bike for a couple of months until recently, and then today I noticed this sensation on the twist grip. Maybe it's always been there but should the throttle grip be completely 'smooth' in its action?
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Hi, get some lube down those cables and take it from there.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 6:02 pm

Throttle cables, tube binding on bar or gummed up throttle bodies.   This type cable luber works very nice forces lube into cable housings.  Must take housing apart so first two issues will be solved. Doubt it's throttle bodies.Throttle Grip Feels Weird Luber10
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 8:51 pm

I have one of those cable lubers like Mech 1 showed. They work very nice but if you use a spray can spray it slowly and gently. When I use mine if I just give it a good spray it will leak out a bit so keep a rag handy. Other than that they work great.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 am

Modern cables should not be lubed, once they start to fail they need replacing. Time to strip the plastic off again :-)
But it might be just the twist grip itself.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 am

I haven't needed to lube any motorcycle or maxi scooter cable since way back the Nineties when I regularly used to use a hydraulic cable oiler on my MZ's.

I've also had that snagging feeling on a MZ throttle cable, it was caused by one of the wire strands breaking inside the cable. Which may or may not be the problem here.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 9:30 am

First, now remember these bikes are now old, in addition to oiling the cable inners now and then---they are probably not designed to be oiled....but it works for me! The grip and barrel should be removed from handlebar, bar greased and thing put back together.....maybe every 5 years or so. Also look on fuel injector cable pivot...little oil will not hurt. I like real smooth throttle feel/operation.....and get it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 12:56 pm

I was always advised not to oil nylon-lined cables and never have, or needed to.

I  would like to take a look at the twist-grip end of things and also the throttle body but I need to know what's involved. The twist-grip end looks fairly straight forward but as for the throttle body?...is access easy?

John? Fuel injector cable pivot? Where's that to be found?

My SW is getting old and has been a bit neglected by its' previous owners. I would ride much happier if I could check out these items.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2021 3:08 pm

Fuel injector pivot is where the cables wind around the drum.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 pm

You mean like the butterfly throttle arrangement on a carburettor? Where the cable end nipples attach to the pulley?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2021 4:02 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 12:20 pm

Got it. I'd like to have look in there one day while I'm tinkering. Is it easy to get to without removing too much tupperware?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 pm

I think so
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2023-11-26

PostSubject: Throttle lube   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 12:44 pm

I've noticed that my throttle sticks randomly when I let go. I bought some PJ cable lube and the tool to lube the cable. Has anyone lubed the throttle cables? I'm looking for any instructions. I'm afraid I'll remove the housing and it come apart in my hands. Any instructions?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 4:55 pm

I had this trouble a few years ago and from my experience I think you'll have to separate the throttle grip assembly.

When you release the two halves of the switch assembly there are no surprises. You can either grease the cable ends and the cable runner in situ, or take the cable ends off and give it all a good old clean-off.

Getting the cable ends (nipples) back on the cable runner can be tricky when reassembling.

If the problem doesn't lie there, it may be at the throttle body under the seat. The cable ends are also easy to grease up at that end too.
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Thank you   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 9:48 pm

Appreciate the insight.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2024 1:26 pm

Hi.

Also check inside the throttle body for staining or oil/breather residues that can bind against the buttfly and stop a full return. If it looks dirty strip it out and clean well with brake cleaner, refit and try.
Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2024 2:10 pm

Thank you. I'm a bit leary taking it apart. More worried about I UT getting it apart and putting it back together. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Johnbil09
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Johnbil09

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2023-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 12:53 pm

Wow I just seen this after finding mine frozen,I try to start it daily but the recent temp drop caused me to skip a day but mine works but you need to let if warm up way beyond the normal time and then it’ll move freely,is it really cold in your location(in the teens,without considering the wind,,,I forgot to mention in my thread that the wheel rotor lock was beeping when I woke up this morning and I put it by my trucks heater and it’s operating like normal now…..
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lickitysplit11111/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Grip Feels Weird   Throttle Grip Feels Weird I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle Grip Feels Weird
Page 1 of 1