Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover

Go down 
+7
Ken j
Terry Smith
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
sonuvabug
oldwingguy
obdarrel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
obdarrel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-07-07

Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 12:57 am

I am new to the site and would like the advice of seasoned experts.
I love my 2007 SilverWing 600 and I am trying to cosmetically make
it "cherry" again.  The right rear cowl has a missing peg.  Instead of buying
an OEM that matches the color of the bike (gun metal silver), I have heard about making a mold from an existing panel and then creating a new one
from a plastic pour, then attach it.

Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover Hondas10

So, does anyone have one to make a mold from?  The cowl that is on the bike now is in perfect condition except for the one missing peg.  I am trying to reduce the amount of vibration on the bike.  If anyone has any better ideas on how to fix this problem I would love to hear from you.

Thanks alot!
obdarrel
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 6:35 am

obdarrel welcome aboard from o-HI-o.

Go to maint. tips, enter plastic tab or peg rebuild and you will find a lot of info like this.  http://www.plast-aid.com/
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 9:04 am

Welcome aboard this board. Plast-Aid or similar product is your friend here.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 11:14 am

Why not make a mold an existing “peg” from the opposite side panel (modeling clay or Sugru), fabricate a new peg (Plast-Aid) and adapt that to fit the missing location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGzjWeK-nY
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 11:44 am

How about stainless sheet metal screws? Worked for me on two new SilverWing----even new, their plastic not prize winning---but remember this is old design.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 4:25 pm

I have used Plastex and also Permatex Plastic Welder on my panels. The Plastex starter kit comes with a "moulding bar" which you heat in hot water and then mould around a part that you wish to replicate to form a mould, I've not used it yet but it looks handy.

My best success has been carving usable pieces off other broken bodywork and glueing that to my panels. If you could find a broken body panel that had the right mounting peg in reasonable shape, the Permatex stuff is brilliant at joining the ABS plastic together.

https://www.plastex.net/
Back to top Go down
obdarrel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-07-07

PostSubject: 2007 Right Rear Cowl Panel   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Does anyone have a used, new, broken right rear cowl panel for a
2007 SilverWing that has all the pegs still intact? I need to make a mold from the peg for a flawless cowl panel (except the peg of course).

Thanks for your help in advance.
obdarrel swing
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
I have used Plastex and also Permatex Plastic Welder on my panels. The Plastex starter kit comes with a "moulding bar" which you heat in hot water and then mould around a part that you wish to replicate to form a mould, I've not used it yet but it looks handy.

My best success has been carving usable pieces off other broken bodywork and glueing that to my panels. If you could find a broken body panel that had the right mounting peg in reasonable shape, the Permatex stuff is brilliant at joining the ABS plastic together.

https://www.plastex.net/

Tim's (Cosmic_Jumper) approach is the way to go. You can make (with the flexible molding bar) and use either the entire peg once you've made it or cut it down and use the same Plast-Aid/Plastex type product to secure it where the one broke off.
Back to top Go down
Ken j
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ken j

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2020-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 12:05 am

oldwingguy wrote:
obdarrel welcome aboard from o-HI-o.

Go to maint. tips, enter plastic tab or peg rebuild and you will find a lot of info like this.  http://www.plast-aid.com/

So much agreed. There is a wealth of information here on maintaining and mods for your Silverwing
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 12:08 pm

3D printer & epoxy...
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm

I tend to drill through the panel and zip tie it to the fixing on the frame where it broke off but I guess this isn't the 'look' you're going for Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ken j
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ken j

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2020-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Could use a stainless steel screw. Just make sure you do the other side to match things up.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 8:55 am

The new panel parts are available on line, I just replace the broken ones.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 10:20 am

FWIW Someone on Facebook Honda Silverwing Scooters 582cc forum just posted that their panel broke when the scoot fell over after a heavy rain.You might want to contact the person to see if they’re replacing the panel and, if so, can you get the old panel from them. Then you could cut out the piece you need and affix it to your panel.

Look for the post from K Terrill Fried
https://m.facebook.com/groups/167150373692150/

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 4:22 pm

I reinforced the unbroken one I had with weld compound at the base - so it would not suffer the same fate as the first - which was fortunately reconnected before it could end up on the 401.
I also used zip ties in a few spots at front where I had put too much pressure on front of foot areas on longer tours - I had no idea the base of the screw clips were plastic - or rather that they would crack - so much to learn and preserve all at the same time!
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 1:44 pm

www.partszilla.com
Right rear fairing, Cyber Silver part #83500-MCT-691ZT $212.00 USD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover   Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing Rear Right Cowl Fairing Panel Cover
Page 1 of 1