Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 pm

» New to Me Swing
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Look under the seat?

Go down 
+6
GHM-PM
Meldrew
oldwingguy
john grinsel
bikehiker
Lugwrench
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

Look under the seat? Empty
PostSubject: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 1:02 pm

A while back I posted that I had a drippy oil leak and after an oil change. Well after a while I finally figured out why. Dah! I was worried that the swing was leaking to much. First off I should have read the maintenance manua(I didn't)
I was used to checking oil on side stand on my motorcycles. So why not Swing right WRONG. then I looked on here for advice. So last week I was getting ready to go on a 200plus mile ride and was kinda worried. So I called my daughter the motorcycle guru in the family and former parts person for Asian bikes. And explained what I was doing after looking at a former post on here about the topic. But I was till confused. I got the swing out put it on center stand ran for 2mins checked oil and it was slightly over full mark. Then I checked on side stand no oil on dipstick. So she tells me dad look under your seat and read the owners manual. I did and there it was in plain black and white check on center stand. So I was overfilling and She tells me it was causing pressure to build up and the tiniest leak would start dripping. I solved that and no more leaks. The Honda manual does not say check on center stand. But that handy little book under the seat sure did. By the way that ride went well I checked oil after ride and we were a okay. Sorry this is so long but hey. Lugwrench
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Hmmm..have I been wrong all these years to think that you will get a more accurate check of your oil on a cold engine?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 3:37 pm

Common sense says have bike level
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 6:49 pm

The dipstick, and remember do not screw it back in to check the level. I've always checked mine as ridden, 2 wheels on the ground in the upright riding position. Try it both ways and see if you can see a noticeable difference.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 9:11 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
The dipstick, and remember do not screw it back in to check the level. I've always checked mine as ridden, 2 wheels on the ground in the upright riding position. Try it both ways and see if you can see a noticeable difference.

Good point many don't know. Screw it in most likely a half QT. low.
Cold oil check is fine on center stand. Many bikes just have a sight window no stick
but same check it level.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 10:55 pm

The owners manual instructs to start the engine and run for 3-5 minutes, turn off, place the bike on the centrestand, wait 2-3 minutes, then check the level without screwing the dipstick in.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 3:56 am

... and of course wipe the dipstick clean on a rag or paper towel before putting it back for a level check.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 8:18 am

Terry Smith wrote:
The owners manual instructs to start the engine and run for 3-5 minutes, turn off, place the bike on the centrestand, wait 2-3 minutes, then check the level without screwing the dipstick in.

Terry I have done this since I bought my SWing new. Not sure whether I read it in the owners manual or just followed most other Honda's I have owned. Believe they are basically the same. My Yamaha has a sight glass and I am less than enthused. A much heavier bike with no center stand and trying to kneel down to see the oil and keep the bike level with one hand? Works but a PITA to be sure...
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 2:04 pm

Ah...but should the bike be on the centre stand, or on the wheels when checking the level?

It's at wheel level when riding....mmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 5:12 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Ah...but should the bike be on the centre stand, or on the wheels when checking the level?

It's at wheel level when riding....mmmmmm

Mr Honda says centrestand, and on a level parking surface. There's no question that the oil level will be all over the place when riding, due to bumps and especially acceleration/deceleration, hence the required level in the engine is well above the minimum that it could safely run at if it was sitting still at all times.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 pm

Terry Smith wrote:

I'm sure Honda prints this in all owners manuals but SW is accurate cold on center stand. Many different models some have external tanks and in frame sticks.

I had a 1994 XR650L stick up in frame below steering neck and this method was correct for that bike. Oil would drain back into engine and always be low after sitting over night. Same for Yamaha WR 426. Sometimes miss that bike 50 HP and 265 lbs. Took a little bit of paper work but it was street legal.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 10:56 pm

I don't have that center stand problem anymore with the trike kit. It's always level. I just unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off and put it back in the hole without screwing it in. But when I did have only two wheels I'd put it on the center stand to check the oil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look under the seat?   Look under the seat? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Look under the seat?
Page 1 of 1