Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics Empty
PostSubject: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 pm

OH no he is at is again!
No I am not!

I am being genuine, and I mean it from the bottom of my heart.
With your nagging you might have saved my scooter.

My normal start procedure is to put the bike on the center stand and let it idle until the rpm turn normal. During this time the scooter is on a mixed uneven surface with gravel patches.

For 2 days I tried if it would be possible to put the scooter on the center stand on my 3 meter (yard) long concrete ramp and let it idle there while I close the iron rolling gate behind it without smacking into the top case or squeezing my fingers somewhere on the way. The front of the ramp curves a bit into the 16% incline it is also in a slight angle. I need to be in the upmost back of the ramp and the center stand jumps the scooter a bit back, so I need to compensate for that.

I actually managed that and while yesterday the scooter was getting warm my concrete was enriched by a couple drops of oil.
You notice that on unspoiled concrete - NOT on an uneven gravel patched area.
I noticed a big oil drop under the oil filter and had a vision of loosing an oil filter again.
(in both cases I did not install the filter)

Checking what was wrong, the oil filter could be screwed easily in both directions by a finger and the thumb.

Bugger that for a lark, with an oil filter rubber band tool I screwed the filter so strong, that I will have trouble loosing it again.
Checking the oil, I was barely above minimum.

Thanks again for nagging in the name of new newly aquird Honda too.

...and No it has nothing to do with my mod, I have driven over 55000 km without ever loosing my oil filter what I always screwed on myself.
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 9:31 pm

I've always just screwed them on good and hand tight and never had any problems with any bike or car I've owned.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am

Me too, never had an oil filter come loose. Nor a crankcase drain plug even though I don't torque them to 200 foot pounds like some do. Might be why I've never had a stripped crankcase drain hole either.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 4:36 am

Smear oil on the seal, spin it on until it touches the casing, then tighten by hand 1/4 to 1/2 turn more, jobs a good 'un
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 2:44 pm

I never had any problem with oil filters I installed either, but for the 2nd time on 2 different bikes where some bike shop mechanic did the work before I purchased the bike.
And Yes as somebody who does most simple service stuff like oil, valves, brakes, clutch, belts etc. for over 40 years I am familiar with the hand screw and oil on the seal technique, but sometimes you have no space for big hands and you use tools instead, especially if you need to ride on much vibration causing surfaces, because there is no other road.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 2:53 pm

One uses what works best in the circumstances. Just that simple. There's more than one way to skin a beaver.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am

why would you skin it , when shaving often works?
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Don't they wriggle a bit when you try to skin them?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics   A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics
Page 1 of 1