Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Side Stand Switch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 pm

In view of Kurt's Side Stand Switch / Won't Start gremlin maybe some one can figure out another location in the wiring circuit to meter check that circuit w/o having to get down on the ground to do the test.

I dunno about the rest of you, but issues like that would happen to me when I was far away from home --probably in some strange parking lot in the rain.

Not the first time I've heard of side stand switch problems. Anyone have a quick fix bypass strategy?

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 5:08 am

Yeah, me, If you put a jumper across the terminals on the socket, you can overide the switch. I placed a switch with L E D in the circuit on the plug which when activated overides the sidestand. While I was setting this up I noticed that this switch on the sidestand was also the cause of my problem. I really think that this is the sort of mod you should do if you have a purpose for it as it is potentially very dangerous as 1/. you can ride off with the sidestand down, and more importanly, if someone gives the engine a rev while the bike is parked and idling, it can become a lethal projectile.
I will post a pic soon on the rearranged dash when I get a minute. Ive used up all my time credits trying to get the Swing up and running and still need to get all the tools etc off the rear patio, or else! Side Stand Switch Icon_smile Side Stand Switch Icon_twisted .
Back to top Go down

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Yeah, me, If you put a jumper across the terminals on the socket, you can overide the switch. I placed a switch with L E D in the circuit on the plug which when activated overides the sidestand. While I was setting this up I noticed that this switch on the sidestand was also the cause of my problem. I really think that this is the sort of mod you should do if you have a purpose for it as it is potentially very dangerous as 1/. you can ride off with the sidestand down, and more importanly, if someone gives the engine a rev while the bike is parked and idling, it can become a lethal projectile.
I will post a pic soon on the rearranged dash when I get a minute. Ive used up all my time credits trying to get the Swing up and running and still need to get all the tools etc off the rear patio, or else! Side Stand Switch Icon_smile Side Stand Switch Icon_twisted .

I'd always thought the switch was a bit of lawyerly overkill, but it never occurred to me that there is no such thing as "neutral" on a scooter. If you leave it idling somebody WILL goose the throttle and end up with a mouthful of scooter.

Only override the switch in an emergency!
Back to top Go down
MOWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MOWing

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-02-10

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:36 pm

I don't have a center stand and wanted to be able to warm up the bike while on the kickstand. I ran a wire from the park brake switch to the kickstand switch. You want the lug from the park brake switch that is hot only when the brake is pulled. The wire then runs to the kickstand switch wire that is not hot when in the lowered position. I then put a diode on the wire to keep the park brake light from illuminating when when the stand is up.

So with the stand down and the park brake pulled it starts and runs. Release the brake before raising the kickstand the engine dies.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:55 pm

That's one of the best ideas I've heard to deal with bypassing the side stand to allow the bike to run with the stand down while still protecting against pole vaulting off the stand.
Back to top Go down
MOWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MOWing

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am

I spend all of a buck in the parts and it has worked great. Every once in a while i will let the brake go before the kickstand and the kill the motor.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:20 am

MOWing,

Great going. I like that!
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Yeah, I like that too. How many of us actually knew that the tail lamp comes on with the parking brake? Way to go.
Back to top Go down
MOWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MOWing

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm

At least on my 02 the rear brake light doesn't come on when the parking brake is pulled. But there is a light on the dash that indicates the parking brake is on. This is the light I didn't want on when the kickstand was up hence the diode.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 am

OOOOPS
Back to top Go down

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 8:36 am

MOWing wrote:
I don't have a center stand and wanted to be able to warm up the bike while on the kickstand. I ran a wire from the park brake switch to the kickstand switch. You want the lug from the park brake switch that is hot only when the brake is pulled. The wire then runs to the kickstand switch wire that is not hot when in the lowered position. I then put a diode on the wire to keep the park brake light from illuminating when when the stand is up.

So with the stand down and the park brake pulled it starts and runs. Release the brake before raising the kickstand the engine dies.

This is a really great idea. Exclamation I would really like to be able to do this!
Could you provide a more complete explanation for those of us with smaller brains? study I could probably ask my husband to help, but he would translate this as 'do it for me' Rolling Eyes , and I'd rather try it myself. Smile

Thanks,

Mandy
Back to top Go down

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 am

Mandy Way to go girl You have my respect. Dont feel small brained because you dont understand everything. I learned a long time ago that we can not do everything and we all have diferent areas we shine in. The helpful folks on this forum are a wealth of knowledge that I glean from daily. I am now atempting to install cruise control on my Swing and have received lots of help from Darrel. He is a patient man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Side Stand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side Stand Switch   Side Stand Switch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side Stand Switch
Page 1 of 1