Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

coolant leak

Go down 
+3
Sepp
exavid
rtrottie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rtrottie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-02-24

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Hello, I have found some green spots which looks like coolant below my scooter, close to where my oil housing is. Why would it fall there? where is the coolant container located? and how can I access it? I do not have a silverwing service manuel, any help will be welcome
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 12:39 am

It's possible the leak could be from the coolant pump weep hole. That's a small hole on the pump whose purpose is to show when the coolant pump seal is beginning to leak. Check your oil to make sure there's no sign of coolant in the oil. Chocolatly looking or fudgy looking oil on the dip stick would show that there's contamination of the engine oil caused by a failing pump seal between the engine and the coolant system.

There are other possibilities but if it's just a few drops on the floor and your oil looks okay that's a common failure mode of the pump seal. If the oil is okay, there's a normal amount of coolant in the coolant bottle and there's only a few drops on the floor it won't hurt to ride the scooter but keep a close eye on the coolant and oil.

Partzilla lists new coolant pumps for the Silverwing 600 which would be better to replace than just the seal.
https://www.partzilla.com/search?q=Honda+Silverwing+600+scooter+water+pump
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 6:03 am

Yes 99% sure weephole leak.
Old Spidermax model also only had had just a little hole in the motor, new model has a connector and a hose draining to the  ground.
Do not worry, there is a simple fix. - The important thing is to monitor how much you loose over time.
For a lot of information check my Malaguti Blog:
http://malaguti-spidermax.blogspot.com/2011/09/weep-hole-and-water-pump-seal.html
then that for the conclusion:
http://malaguti-spidermax.blogspot.com/2012/09/4-years-with-malaguti-spidermax-500gt.html
and since the white container who let the green coolant shine through get less transparent with time her is a simple mod I made to solve the "how much water in in my reservoir" in 5 min permanently.
http://malaguti-spidermax.blogspot.com/2014/08/spidermax-water-level-check-mod.html

Since I am with one foot already in the doghouse, I hope that is OK with Tim when i post links to my own blog instead posting the whole page with 20 photos here?
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 am

I had a coolant leak a couple of years ago. Stopped by Honda and had them check it. (sheepish) It was simply a loose hose clamp. They tightened it and it has never leaked again. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 8:51 am

Interesting “coolant level check mod”, Sepp. But does the mod actually indicate the coolant level in the tank or just that coolant is still present in the tank?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 12:04 pm

rtrottie wrote:
Hello, I have found some green spots which looks like coolant below my scooter, close to where my oil housing is. Why would it fall there?

It could well be falling from the oil filter housing bud, the housing is also a heat exchanger, taking excess heat from the oil & transfering it into the cooling system. There are two hose connections on the housing itself, one (or both) might just need 'nipping-up'
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Picture .........

coolant leak Oil_co10

.......... You will see from the picture not only the hose connections but also there is an O ring on the rear of the body, it's EXTEMELY rare for that to leak.
An old motor mechanics 'dodge' may help locate the leak, would be to puff talcum powder in the suspected area, as the water leaks it will wash of the talcum & leave a clean streak.
Same 'dodge' can be used for minor oil leaks, but in that case the talcum absorbs the oil & shows as a dark streak.

HTH
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 8:43 pm

OIL cooler is is connected to hoses only. Large O-ring on back of cooler is engine oil seal.

THE BERN  powder coating will help to locate a leak for sure. Most likely a loose clamp or the water pump. Water pump is difficult to see you need to crawl under there from the right side and take a good look coolant leave traces of leak.     My pump was leaking oil not coolant had to replace it no leaks since then.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 1:15 pm

@cosmicjumper
the hose length is measured that it touches the coolant in the reservoir exactly between min and max level.
As long I hit the ball pump and green fluid rises up the level is between full and half full.

I had it installed after I was checking on how much coolant I was loosing through the weep hole when I was below half.
Luckily this never occurred.

It was fixed with a little liquid radiator leak sealant (just for fun too see if this works on a o-ring and it did)

As usual fixing things temporarily lasts longer then fixing it for good.
At least that is how Murphy's law works with me and my mechanics and electronics.
Also from the other side, in the moment I do something really nice and doll something up to perfection an incident what renders the item disabled occurs within a short time.

As a livelong lesson (this started when I was 15), there is always a little blemish or imperfection left to keep my things in good order.
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Ok, got it now. Thank you Sepp.
Back to top Go down
rtrottie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-02-24

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am

thanks for all the answers, how can I access the coolant container to see how much coolant that I have remaining?
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 3:35 pm

Right storage pocket needs to be removed. Radiator cap and bottle under there. Remove 1 screw in pocket and gently pry sides around it and pull it out. OR just look up under right side from the front and you can see the level. Flash light required. I'd check level in rad. if something is leaking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: coolant leak   coolant leak I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

coolant leak
Page 1 of 1