Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hyperpro spring install step by step

Go down 
+4
Siataukreg
Mech 1 twa
cello33
Ejscoot
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ejscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2017-05-08

Hyperpro spring install step by step Empty
PostSubject: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 am

Bought the Hyperpro front fork spring kit and am getting ready to install. Searched site for a how to video and it seems the Leroy Beal link is long gone. I know this topic has been beaten to death but if someone could point me to either a detailed how to write up or video with tools needed would much appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Dont have a link but having stripped the forks out and replaced the oil its easy , just use common sense and the correct torque settings when reassembling.

Love to know how you rate the new springs as this has to be the worse part of the swing - those soggy saggy springs - mines done 12 years and 35K miles and thats the only real gripe I have - it handles ok but a manhole cover will bottom out the springs.

good luck
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 7:13 pm

sorry 18 years its a 2002 but love it having done 20K miles in 18 months Smile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 9:07 pm

Search this site Springs Second post down. The Bern has a nice write up .
3/8 torque wrench and short 14mm socket are needed to retorque fork pinch bolts. No need to remove any plastic parts just the front wheel.

Read the whole thread and many more on springs. Springs are great. Many fork oil choices. I didn't use 20w in kit. Tried Bel-Ray 15W a little stiff. Changed it to Torco 15W a lot better.

Flush that old nasty oil out.

Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 29, 2020 5:37 am

I fitted them on my scoot it was easy enough to do pinch bolts are very tight though on the forks rest is easy, difference is well worth it transforms handling makes it more like a bike than a scoot you will not regret doing it
Back to top Go down
Ejscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 5:30 pm

OK so only a year later and I just installed the hyperpros today. Also took one members advice and got some some Torco 15W fork oil. Definitely improves the ride over bumps, it was worth the time and effort. Should have done it last year. I read all the install methods I could find but in the end I had to replace the front brake cable as well so I took off the headlight assembly. Everything was pretty straight forward from there. Except I had to repair rust on my fork tubes ended up repainting lower forks and my 1 1/2" pvc pipe did not fit over my fork tube for some reason. So it got modified and made to fit. Made a Memorial weekend out of it. Saturday Sunday Monday. Was going to replace coolant but after getting her back together it was time for a ride. Weather here was too good to pass up. Hyperpro springs are a nice upgrade, if you are considering it I would go for it.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Hyperpro springs do improve fork stiffness much longer than stock no spacer full spring can compress.

PCV tube for what? Press in new seals?

Even with a good oil SW fork still doesn't like sharp road edges. Stiff. Fork and shocks could be better but then other problems will soon show up when ridden hard. It's a scooter.

Great to be riding. Enjoy.

Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm

The Swing fork uses damping rods, and very unsophisticated ones at that. The damping force is generated by the oil passing through holes drilled in the damper rod, and the damping force generated here increases with the square of the velocity of the oil. That means on gentle undulations, you get not much damping force (floating or looseness) but on a hard fast hit like an expansion joint you get too much damping force and more of the hit is transferred to the chassis/rider (jolting).

You get a basic choice with oil viscosity, either enough low speed damping/too much high speed damping, or the right high speed damping but not enough low speed damping. From my own very limited experience 10W oil is OK for ride comfort but not for control and I will be upping that to 15W on my next oil change.

Cartridge dampers overcome this by using bending shims which are pushed away from their sealing faces with oil velocity, so allow the big hits to pass through more easily while still retaining firm control at lower damper speeds.

It would be possible to adapt a cartridge damper from another bike to the Swing but you'd need to overcome some length issues (the Swing fork is much shorter than a conventional bike).

Racetech have an interim solution called a cartridge emulator which allows the damper rod to be used for rebound only, and transfers the compression damping task to the emulator which sits on top of the damper rod held in place by the spring. I've used these on bikes in the past with good results, but I'm not sure I'll go to this extent on my Swing.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 5:08 am

Ejscoot wrote:
Bought the Hyperpro front fork spring kit and am getting ready to install. Searched site for a how to video and it seems the Leroy Beal link is long gone. I know this topic has been beaten to death but if someone could point me to either a detailed how to write up or video with tools needed  would much appreciate it.

All the maintenance PDF's by the late Leroy Beal were thoughtfully put on here (or at least a link was) by a forum member who'd downloaded them before Leroy Beal's website was taken down. I came across them bookmarked on my old iPad a few weeks ago.

It was all stuff like oil and filter changes, rear wheel removal, and belt changing with a homemade tool. There's nothing about installing HyperPro fork springs, because they're more of an upgrade or personal preference than basic maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Ejscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Good info on the shocks. I am thinking I might be over upgrades for awhile. Do need to replace some valve stems but it's riding time for me.
Back to top Go down
shawnsumner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am

I hadn't seen this thread....very, VERY helpful and informative, as I am having the same issues...might I ask the cost of the Hyperpro kit and where you located it?
Back to top Go down
Ejscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 1:00 pm

https://www.ebay.com/p/28003537145

Found this on eBay. Seem to remember they were $169 or so a year ago. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 2:58 pm

That eBay link appears to be a UK eBay site.

Why not give a call to Klaus at EPM Performance Imports in Manalapan, NJ. They are the east coast distributors for Hyperpro. (732)786-9777

This is info from my Hyperpro box label:

Honda
Type/Year  Silverwing/FJBS 600/01
SP-HO06-SSA 016
Oil/Level  SAE20/100MM
NR 0384”

Hey, for the price of a phone call, whaddya got to lose?
Back to top Go down
shawnsumner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks, fellas. Going to try just routine maint. first, then the Hyperpros. Appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro spring install step by step   Hyperpro spring install step by step I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hyperpro spring install step by step
Page 1 of 1