Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:44 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Next bike/scooter part II

Go down 
+2
bikehiker
cotetoi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Next bike/scooter part  II Empty
PostSubject: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 6:25 pm

As end of Oct approaches, my 2017 Honda CB300F will have been on road a year, North America 1 year warranty will be over----adding Honda extended warranty very expensive in my book, around $400 depending on dealer---in bike that is used a lot, Honda will probably say items broken/worn out are "wear items". My current mileage around 18,000---may do more if I ride to Hyder Alaska in early Oct.

Bikes/scooter available to me: Can buy third new SilverWing(second leftover), or two there are still left over sales flop Forzas available, Cheaper Kymco might work, Burgman 400 and 650 are priced too high....and heavy

New Honda 2019 CB300F, same motor as mine, looks like "no meat/frame on rear for hard mount saddle bags and of course NO CENTERSTAND! other motorcycles that might work, SR400 Yamaha, Royal Enfield 400? another TU250...but no centerstand!

May keep on riding my current CB300F until something expensive breaks---cheapest to keep riding it, but for the long trips I take find big scooter more "handy". I need Freeway legal, too.

Just some thoughts---I do not buy used unless giveaway price---there is used Yellow, 2,000 mile Helix available in Chattanooga....might get it for $1500 or so. I like them.

For older riders. I will be 80 next birthday---ride/weight ability to handle it and not tip over in parking lots, etc, MyCB300F works fine/ fuel injection on/off a little sharp at real low speeds/ precise clutch-rear brake control helps.

One thing I know---no centerstand=no sale in my book. Very handy item....and no trikes! And although I like Vespas, they are just too expensive for what you get....plus no dealers.

Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 6:45 am

I am looking at the Vulcan 650, new model from 2014 on. I can get a 2016 with no miles for $4500.00. I am hesitating because the second gear problem is still a mystery. Not sure if it has been fixed on this bike. Going to see it in the coming days. I don't think it has a centerstand either, but I can manage with my lift for minor service, chain maintenance, etc.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am

John, have you considered the Yamaha XMAX? I saw one in a dealership and it seems to be put together well. The only caveat is the seat height but most of the scooters have raised the heights...

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/xmax

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 9:05 am

For price, Swing similarities, MPG, reliability, dealership availability, maintenance, etc., the XMax is a high contender to replace the extinct Swing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am

On XMax=yes. But is it really a Kymco?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 9:39 am

Unlike the original 2016/17 XMax 300 on that US Yamaha link. the 2018/19 models have a small butt stop on the seat which I didn't like when I had a ride on a demonstrator here in York a couple of weeks ago.

If you're used to flat footing a Silver Wing with it's 27" seat height, the XMax is getting on for 31" and that is noticeable when stopping a lot in city traffic. The screen height was at the lower setting on the one I rode and fine for the speeds I was doing.

I liked the smooth responsive engine, keyless ignition, large under seat storage, that it weighed a lot less than the Silver Wing and was easy to pull onto it's main stand. It's Traction Control would be useful on wet and greasy roads, and I like it's all round LED lights.

The half asleep look of it's twin LED headlights I wasn't so keen on, or that central main headlight that looks hidden below them. I'd have really liked to have checked out the efficiency of those LED headlights myself as they've had mixed views from Brit owners.

All together a nice well equipped fuel efficient maxi scooter if it fits you, there's also a similar looking new 400 XMax too.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Yes the Xmax shortcoming is the seat height which I mentioned. I have a 32 inch inseam so not a problem for me but for those 30 and lower it might be a serious concern. A friend of mine has a 28 inch inseam so the SWing is great but no longer available. He liked the XMAX but too high for comfort, he tried a 2018 Burgman 400 same problem. Instead he stole (got cheap) a NEW 2015 Burgman 400 before they raised the seat height. Now he is happy.

Not sure why the drive to raise seats as lots of us mature individuals and women need a lower seat height... Oh well nobody asked me.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 12:08 am

I ride a Burgman 200. A bit under powered on the freeway, and it has a cute transmission issue if you do run it on the freeway often. I no longer take it on the freeway for any extended use. Other than that, I love it. Fits 2 average sized adults easy, wife can get on and off it with no issues, under seat storage is huge, 74 mpg no matter how you ride it. Just a great, if not underrated, scooter. Would I buy another one? Not sure. I have become obsessed with the BMW C Evolution electric scooter lately. Waiting to see who else offers electric scooters and see what the ranges are and if the wife likes the passenger seating. But for now we are going to ride the wheels off our Baby Burgman. Wife's still waiting for her trike conversion on her Swing.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next bike/scooter part II   Next bike/scooter part  II I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next bike/scooter part II
Page 1 of 1