Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Mesh jacket

Go down 
+5
Meldrew
Greysilver
GHM-PM
Modernman1953
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Because of the really hot weather in the southern US---I used new mesh jacket several times this week----this is my second Mesh, bought from Jafrum on some sort of sale for about $50---if fits/works/has zip in liner and works in 100 degree F weather. I feel if I "hit the deck" the Mesh will probably explode on rushing contact with the pavement. Jacket has built in back pad/elbow pads and shoulder pads and fits me well and is bright yellow,too! As you are riding it develops no hot spots.

My first Mesh Jacket, Olympia, cost a lot, worked up to 80 degres F, developed hot spots as you rode. Gave it to friend in MO.

Extra Note: this week I used my new car for some errands/shopping. In addition lots of rain storms---this is first time in more than 40 years I have used car for normal use----have to admit AC and windshield wipers nice----but all this not fun to me. This AM, same hot/horrible weather took bike for trip to Dr and Walmart shopping. So hot none of my boots are cool/comfortable enough had to try to keep feet in breeze. Bikes/scooters are just more fun.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 pm

I live in Yuma, AZ. I wouldn't ride much if I didn't have a nice mesh jacket. It is cooler than riding with a tee shirt on as it blocks out the sun but lets in the breeze created by the motorcycle.

I use a moisture wicking tee shirt under the mesh jacket. I have mesh pants too. I wear only underwear under the mesh pants. Comfortable to 100 degrees.

Any warmer than 100, I don't have a reason to be out in the weather.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Living most of the year in Arizona I too go with Modern's method. I have a Bilt mesh jacket, wicking T-shirts and a "cool" vest I also have matching mesh pants which are cooler than denim. I have ridden in over 100 temperatures many times but I restrict that to road trips so air can go over my gear. Fighting stop and go traffic in those temperatures is just folly!!!
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 pm

I live in Tucson which is MUCH cooler than Yuma and WAY cooler than Wickenburg. I use a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket in bright yellow. I rode such a jacket into the pavement a few years ago and It is a one crash jacket but it worked. I will get a t shirt wick next stop at K mart. I don't have mesh pants using blue jeans instead.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm

I usually dig out my old Hein Gericke Air jacket and pants that have served me well for years, but even those can a bit uncomfortable in hot weather if you're in slow moving town traffic. So last year I bought a light coloured Hein Gericke Tuareg mesh suit.

Again you can get hot in traffic congestion, I could lower the Airflow height to get more of a cooling blast onto my chest but I don't want an increase in wind noise. That bargain priced Manca Dry Cooling Vest I bought last year seems to work well the times I've used it, and there's none of this soaking and messing about you have to do with other cooling vests.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 am

Might add this tip on Mesh Jacket use---real hot, they seem to work best with only Tee shirt worn underneath.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am

Greysilver wrote:
I live in Tucson which is MUCH cooler than Yuma and WAY cooler than Wickenburg. I use a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket in bright yellow. I rode such a jacket into the pavement a few years ago and It is a one crash jacket but it worked. I will get a t shirt wick next stop at  K mart. I don't have mesh pants using blue jeans instead.

Have you looked into Dragging jeans? a lined product but IMHO probably pretty hot for most riding out there.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 am

I bought a pair of Bull-it riding jeans a few weeks ago, they're lined with Covec and when the knee and armour pads are fitted they're a pretty comfortable if heavy pair of jeans to wear. I like the fact that the style I bought have height adjustable pockets for the knee pads.

They do need a heavy duty belt or braces/suspenders to hike them up. In the current abnormally hot weather we're having in the UK they're OK, but they're not my first choice for the conditions.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 am

I have an Icon Mesh Jacket, its two layers of mesh, only a tshirt under. White. Took the back pad out, too hot otherwise. Its a great thing to have.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Greysilver wrote:
I live in Tucson which is MUCH cooler than Yuma and WAY cooler than Wickenburg. I use a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket in bright yellow. I rode such a jacket into the pavement a few years ago and It is a one crash jacket but it worked. I will get a t shirt wick next stop at  K mart. I don't have mesh pants using blue jeans instead.

Have you looked into Dragging jeans? a lined product but IMHO probably pretty hot for most riding out there.

Hi oldie, I did a while back, look at ICON (?) jeans well padded. I have also looked a mesh pants w armor. I may settle for simple knee pads.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I bought a pair of Bull-it riding jeans a few weeks ago, they're lined with Covec and when the knee and armour pads are fitted they're a pretty comfortable if heavy pair of jeans to wear. I like the fact that the style I bought have height adjustable pockets for the knee pads.

They do need a heavy duty belt or braces/suspenders to hike them up. In the current abnormally hot weather we're having in the UK they're OK, but they're not my first choice for the conditions.

Hi mel, due to expanding waistline suspenders are a necessity anyway. Shocked
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 12:23 pm

About 10 years ago I bought a pair of "tree climbing pants" from Aerostich. They had knee pads (removable). Wore the pants out. I see they are no longer listed.

They fit well and were comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Could be like these Arborwear climbing pants: https://www.arborwear.com/products/pants/ascender-pants

Seems to me that Arborwear used to be headquartereed in Duluth. IIRC They were the orginal manufacturers of gusseted-crotch climbing trousers.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 pm

I have had a cheapo Jafrum mesh for many years. It's hotter than a tee shirt, but offers protection with elbow, shoulder, back armor (padding). It helped protect my left elbow in one or two spills. I have almost no skin left on my left elbow from all of the left side spills. Some people keep banging their heads against a wall; I keep scraping my left elbow and knee on the ground. Lately thinking of wearing a helmet and mesh jacket to the mailbox.

The neat thing about a mesh jacket is that when the weather suddenly turns colder, I whip out my high viz windbreaker and put it over the mesh jacket. The mesh jacket creates an air pocket between the windbreaker and body, making a real comfortable ride in cold weather.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 am

Greysilver wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Hi mel,  due to expanding waistline suspenders are a necessity anyway. Shocked

I've put on a few pounds in the last week sampling various poutines while wandering aboot in Toronto eh?

Those Bull-it jeans are nearly twice the weight of a pair of my Levi jeans. The Covec lining makes them a lot thicker down to the knees, not ideal in hot weather, and of course the knee and hip pads add more weight.  They're also heavier than my Hein Gericke Tuareg mesh pants with the knee armour in.

I'm going to start wearing braces with them too as I do with my heavier Klim Overland pants, it's more comfortable than cinching everything in at the waist. Just calling  braces suspenders is weird too. In the proper English we use, suspenders are what you guys call a garter belt.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 am

Meldrew wrote:

Welcome to the braces club affraid if I don't wear them my bloomers become suspenders. Perhaps some beaver proof Duluth working pants are in order.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am

I remember those weirdo pants from the Aerostich catalogue/catalog of a few years ago. I hope you realise all this current talk of gusseted crotches, beavers, suspenders, and occasionally the word semi loses something in translation to we Brits.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mesh jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mesh jacket   Mesh jacket I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mesh jacket
Page 1 of 1