Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Smoke'in S'Wing

Go down 
+3
exavid
DennisB
wingnprayer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 5:05 am

I've purchased my 01 SW back in May of this year. It came with 2500 miles on the clock and I've added another 1500. Although I love it I don't have the opportunity to ride it that much, particularly now that the weather is cold and wet here in the UK. During the summer months the bike ran fine and there were no signs of underlying problems, e.g. she started on the button and there were zero noticeable emissions from the exhaust.

A couple of months ago I noticed that the bike would take a little longer to start up in the garage when it hadn’t been used for a while. Since the starter motor sounded a little weak (ie not enough juice) I assumed it was the (original) battery and thus put it on charge overnight. Sure enough the next day the bike seemed to start as normal after a quick push of the button.

For the last month I've been away on business and yesterday I got back and started the bike up but noticed quite a bit of grey/black smoke coming out of the exhaust and the garage stank for an hour or so.

As far as I know the bike has original mileage on it, it certainly looks like a bike that hasn't done more than 4000 miles. I am not mechanically minded but over the years I have picked up that gray/black smoke at start up can be a sign of bad things!

Since I won't be riding the bike for several months until spring I thought I would ask on here if this is quite normal or whether there could be any underlying causes that need investigation?

Incidentally the chap I purchased it from told me that he had not had the bike serviced since Feb 08 since he had only covered a few miles this year.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by wingnprayer on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:51 am

Hi wingnprayer,

All most sounds like you have some very old gas or some other bad subtance in your tank. This can happen very easly at the pumps these days.

I would try to get as much of the what ever is in your tank out and add some fresh gas from a trusted source with a little Seafoam addaitive. While your at it....change to a fresh set of spark plugs and take her for a ride if you can.

There you have it. That's what I think. Others might have different thoughts.
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks Dennis. I don't know if we can get Seafoam here in the UK. I've searched on all the normal UK automotive websites and can't find it. We have something similar (I imagine) called Redex. Maybe I should give that a try.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:48 pm

I agree it could have been cruddy petrol or possibly just a bit of condensation in the cylinders being cleared out. I wouldn't be concerned unless it becomes a lot worse. My Goldwing will puff out a bit of smoke on starting on the odd occasion. I haven't been able to pin down what causes it, it only occurs once every other month or so and only for one start up. It doesn't use any oil between changes either. So basically I ignore it.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 1:47 am

I believe what you are seeing is water vapor from the catalytic converter.

When the engine is shut off some water condenses and collects in the muffler. Then wwhen you start up it gets vaporized by the heat.

A catalytic converter converts carbon monoxide + heat to carbon dioxide + water. Do a search on "catalytic converter water"

this is normal, I believe, especially when its colder outside. Mine does it.

Hope this helps.
MaxB
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 5:36 am

A few toughts......White means water...Black-blue-isch means oil...Black means maybe to rich gas...Oil ...check sparkplugs, decreasing oil-level..To rich gas...check sparkplugs and decreasing MPG.
When the white smoke don't go away when de motor is warm...a bad cilinderhaed-joint.Water comes in the explosionchamber.
Decreasing coolant level.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 6:24 am

Sounds to me like a bike that doesn't get much use. (As stated). Quite symptomatic of carbon build up and when the engine is running it is clearing out a carbon condensation mix.

A good run a highish revs will clear any carbon and any moisture that has built up in the engine and exhaust system will be removed too.

Bike were made to be used, when not, like all things mechanical they don't like sitting idle.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks Waspie, you are probably right. Sadly I've just spent a month out in Thailand and now the UK Winter is in full swing, so the poor old SWing isn't likely to get much use for a while. However if there is a sunny day sometime soon (BIG IF) then I'll take her out on the Motorway.

I also think she needs a new battery since as stated I'm still using the 01 original and it sounds like the starter motor is having to strain when turning over. Perhaps this also means a weaker spark??? but then I'm only guessing, being I complete mechnical Philistine.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 pm

How about, rip out the stock exhaust can and get yourself a free flowing exhaust.... That'll take care of the catalytic converter, (and the white smoke with it....!) Plus it will sound much better....

As to starting and the battery... mine (03) is a bit like that, but fine if I leave it on charge overnight... I shall need to get a new battery soon I think...

And what's with the winter riding....? That's one of the times when scoots really excell over bikes..... I use my scoot more now in all but snow and or ice ( I draw the limit there!) and the bike tends to come out only if the weather is OK.... I could maybe forgive someone for not riding their bike as much in the winter, but not riding one of the best maxi-scoots on the planet..... Well that's not good.... you must be spending way too much time in Thailand!! Smoke'in S'Wing Lol
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 2:56 am

Thanks for the advice Bernado. Sadly I am 100% wuss these days and prefer the comforts of a car for the Winter months.

Re Thailand, I was out there shooting a number of videos for the charity I work for. It's a shame this great country is mainly known for it's sex trade. Thai people are some of the most friendly on the planet and have a patriotism towards their country that (IMHO) is unequalled... even in the USA. It's just a shame that half of the Westerners visiting Thailand do so for this sex industry.... but who does that reflect most badly on?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 5:41 am

Bernardo wrote:
And what's with the winter riding....? That's one of the times when scoots really excell over bikes..... I use my scoot more now in all but snow and or ice ( I draw the limit there!)

Here - Here!!!! Smile Smile

Add to that slightly less traffic due to the weather and certainly less 'real bikes' and you have almost ideal riding conditions.

(Just make sure you wear warm clothing.) Laughing Laughing Laughing or What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

Smoke'in S'Wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoke'in S'Wing   Smoke'in S'Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smoke'in S'Wing
Page 1 of 1