Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 23:39

» noise under load
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 23:04

» Hello from Illinois!
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed 15 May 2024, 19:13

» Silverwing Brakes
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed 15 May 2024, 04:57

» LF extended back rest
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Tue 14 May 2024, 00:57

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon 13 May 2024, 17:53

» checking the oil
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon 13 May 2024, 15:11

» Left brake micro-switch
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Sat 11 May 2024, 00:57

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri 10 May 2024, 22:36

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri 10 May 2024, 13:11

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Yet another accessory plug

Go down 
+4
GHM-PM
Mech 1 twa
carolina wing rider
willajabir
8 posters
AuthorMessage
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Yet another accessory plug Empty
PostSubject: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeSun 11 Mar 2018, 23:21

It's raining. What's Swinger to do. MODS!!!!!!!
So, I used the search function.....TADA!!!!!!
Decided to run one hot wire from battery to dash.
Made it a 12 gauge. Made a 8" pigtail for the ground to a local bolt on the frame.
So, what's different? Location, location, location.....
Out of the way for the compartment door, out of the way for the handlebars with the plug in, and convenient for charging and power. I have one of those cheap adapters to plug in for USB should I need it.
Thanks to all the pioneers who made it simple. Took off the W panel above the headlamp and the left panel below the floorboard. Snaked the wire from the battery to the dash and vwalla (<---red neck for voilà)
Should have been about 1.75 hours but I took 2.5 due to being old, slow, and not remembering where I placed a tool when I put it down.
And before you ask, the white streak is just the reflection of the flash.
Yet another accessory plug 20180310
Yet another accessory plug 20180311
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Yet   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeSun 11 Mar 2018, 23:27

Very nice clean installation. It looks like it could have been factory.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeSun 11 Mar 2018, 23:55

carolina wing rider wrote:
Very nice clean installation. It looks like it could have been factory.

Thanks!! Willy Wonka @ the Chocolate Factory? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2018, 00:01

Good idea. I was just about to ask what side is easier to snake a wire through. Right pocket is easy to remove so right side it is. I want at least 2 outlets 1 in left also shouldn't be that hard to extend wire to that side like Honda should have done on US models anyway.......

I'll use a heavy gauge wire fused from battery, ground is no problem. I have lots of wire and such from other projects now if it ever warms ups .

Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2018, 00:26

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Good idea. I was just about to ask what side is easier to snake a wire through. Right pocket is easy to remove so right side it is.  I want at least 2 outlets 1 in left also shouldn't be that hard to  extend wire to that side like Honda should have done on US models anyway.......

I'll use a heavy gauge wire fused  from battery, ground is no problem. I have lots of wire and such from other projects now if it ever warms ups .

I considered the left pocket, but I prefer to keep it closed. I know some cut a small notch for a wire to go through and it looks ok.

2 outlets!!!! May I suggest installing the left pocket, then just continuing the wire to the right side for your 2nd.
With heavy gauge wire, it can handle both. Hmmmm, now that I've said that, you probably already had that in mind eh?
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2018, 01:22

I have a GPS power wire that's taped to tunnel right now ULGY. Need something to charge a phone and Blue tooth adapter. Plug also needed for heated jacket liner it uses a heavy duty BMW type plug..

Gets cold up here. 2 is minimum for me. Left pocket standard Cig. Right panel BMW plug. I'll work it out just need time and temps. above 50ish to work.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2018, 12:25

When I got my 2005 Goldwing, it had a power cable stuck to the left side of the bike and ended in the left cubby. Looked like H*ll and no fuse! Did some research and found that Honda has the harness already in place under the left cubby DOH. Wish the SWing had that. I eliminated the eyesore that the PO had left and installed the proper unit (even fused LOL). Much better.

My Silver Wing has the factory plug in the left cubby (installed by my dealer at purchase time).
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2018, 21:56

Factory outlet no longer listed for SW. in US. I might install a Powerlet BMW type and use a 90 adapter to a dual cig. type plug. This plug is very different and can handle higher Amps than a cig. outlet.

2 in left cubby 1 near right cubby for heated gear. These plugs are nice for battery charging-maintaining also.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeWed 14 Mar 2018, 06:59

When I got my 2013 Swing, I installed a power outlet in the left storage. Later I installed a combo outlet under the seat for which I use to charge my SENA headset, or my FOB for my alarm. There is an indent under the seat (right side) where a wire can be run to your heated gear.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeWed 14 Mar 2018, 12:08

Easyrider wrote:
When I got my 2013 Swing, I installed a power outlet in the left storage. Later I installed a combo outlet under the seat for which I use to charge my SENA headset, or my FOB for my alarm. There is an indent under the seat (right side) where a wire can be run to your heated gear.

I also installed a power tap under the seat! Live at all times so I can charge my phone or camera with them locked under the seat... Works great for that. The outlet in left cubby is live only with the key on...
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeWed 14 Mar 2018, 14:52

Willajabir, thanks for idea, pics, and description. You said, "Snaked the wire from the battery to the dash." I thought I would have an issue with this, but if you were successful, I'll give it another try. I really like the clean, uninterrupted, direct plug-in spot.

Does anyone know what wire (color, place) where you can tap into a hot wire under the windshield? I am also thinking of putting an outlet in the factory hole in the left glove box.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeWed 14 Mar 2018, 16:05

I saw another post where it was stated to tap into the white wire going to the headlight. That's the only clarification I saw. After thinking about it, I decided that should I short out something, better to do it on a separate circuit. Others said you won't pull enough to blow a fuse. With an independent circuit, you could even run a portable compressor without worry. Most of them I've seen run over 10 amp.

Not meaning don't do it, just things to consider. Heated clothing, phone, & GPS should be fine according to other posts. No need for heated clothing here in 'Bama so I've no experience there.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar 2018, 05:14

My left side storage box has the hot wire routed through the round tubular frame back to my distribution fused box under my seat. I run all my ground cables back to a common point on the frame. I have run a small portable air compressor without any problems. Remember to have your Swing running to keep the battery charged when using electrical equipment. Walking sucks!
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar 2018, 09:08

Somebody posted that he had the accesory fitted at the Honda dealer prior to collecting the scooter, which gets me to wondering if the wires are in the loom already, it might be worth a look at the loom behind the headlamp for an unused connector ?  If it's there it will be a two pin mini socket (assuming wiring colours are the same in the US model as the European one) fed by a green wire (common ground) & a brown/green (live) which goes to the main fuse box under the saddle (10 amp)
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar 2018, 12:13

The Bern wrote:
Somebody posted that he had the accesory fitted at the Honda dealer prior to collecting the scooter, which gets me to wondering if the wires are in the loom already, it might be worth a look at the loom behind the headlamp for an unused connector ?  If it's there it will be a two pin mini socket (assuming wiring colours are the same in the US model as the European one) fed by a green wire (common ground) & a brown/green (live) which goes to the main fuse box under the saddle (10 amp)

Mine was installed by the dealer as part of negotiation. I wouldn't buy it unless they installed the 12 volt plug... At that time they whined saying they had to remove the plastic to run the wires. So if they were on the level I would assume that there is no unused connector... affraid
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar 2018, 12:49

GHM-PM wrote:

Mine was installed by the dealer as part of negotiation. I wouldn't buy it unless they installed the 12 volt plug... At that time they whined saying they had to remove the plastic to run the wires. So if they were on the level I would assume that there is no unused connector...  affraid

Cool Knew I read it somewhere, thanks for getting back & letting us know
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar 2018, 16:04

willajabir wrote:
I saw another post where it was stated to tap into the white wire going to the headlight. That's the only clarification I saw. After thinking about it, I decided that should I short out something, better to do it on a separate circuit. Others said you won't pull enough to blow a fuse. With an independent circuit, you could even run a portable compressor without worry. Most of them I've seen run over 10 amp.

Not meaning don't do it, just things to consider. Heated clothing, phone, & GPS should be fine according to other posts. No need for heated clothing here in 'Bama so I've no experience there.  

The above, regarding a dedicated line from the battery is worth repeating. If you do not plan to run compressor, a tap in from an existing line might be ok for GPS, phone, etc. But high drain wires and compressor should have a separate line from the battery. Also, what easyrider says is also very important: Whether running an air compressor from bike battery power or car battery power, it is important to keep the engine running while operating that compressor so as not to drain the battery.
Back to top Go down
dpl096
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dpl096

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeSat 16 Jun 2018, 02:08

Very clean install. Thank you for the pics too!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitimeSat 16 Jun 2018, 02:35

bikehiker wrote:
willajabir wrote:

The above, regarding a dedicated line from the battery is worth repeating.  If you do not plan to run compressor, a tap in from an existing line might be ok for GPS, phone, etc.  But high drain wires and compressor should have a separate line from the battery.  Also, what easyrider says is also very important:  Whether running an air compressor from bike battery power or car battery power, it is important to keep the engine running while operating that compressor so as not to drain the battery.  

CAUTION!! DO NOT RUN THE CAR ENGINE when jumping your bike. The car's charging system puts out too many amps and could damage your Swing. If using a car to jump start, leave the engine off.

RUN your bike slightly above idle before running any accessories from your bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another accessory plug   Yet another accessory plug I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yet another accessory plug
Page 1 of 1