Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 6:01 pm

» New to Me Swing
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshield removal

Go down 
+2
DodgetheRog
Greysilver
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 9:09 pm

I replaced my windshield, there was a buzz from under, something needed tightening. Actually it wasn't to bad. I would recommend to any one else removing their WS. buy 2 of the rubber grommets (these serve as anti rattle and to secure the WS). These 6 little mutts are fragile so don't use force to tighten them. Also you can push them right on through the frame and loose them. They came 2 to a sack for $2.50). Also the plastic push pins may need replacing, there are two of these. Another $2.00 for two.
Back to top Go down
DodgetheRog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DodgetheRog

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2017-05-30

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 9:05 am

Wise words. I'm missing one of those 'push' plugs. Can't say it's resulted in any vibration though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.krfitness.co.uk
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 1:59 pm

DodgetheRog wrote:
Wise words. I'm missing one of those 'push' plugs. Can't say it's resulted in any vibration though.

Several Silverwing owners over the years had lost some of their well nuts as they were changing windshields, Not replacing those missing well nuts resulted in some cracked and broken front fairings.

I would recommend that you replace any missing well nuts as soon as possible, Those Front Fairings are very expensive and a half day job to replace.

Happy motoring lloyd 193 swing
Back to top Go down
DodgetheRog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DodgetheRog

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2017-05-30

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Lloyd but I'm afraid my fairing is already rather 'cosmetically challenged' with more than a few cracks, missing lugs, scrapes and scratches. Silver duct tape is already in use!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.krfitness.co.uk
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for the tip   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
DodgetheRog wrote:

Several Silverwing owners over the years had lost some of their well nuts as they were changing windshields, Not replacing those missing well nuts resulted in some cracked and broken front fairings.

I would recommend that you replace any missing well nuts as soon as possible, Those Front Fairings are very expensive and a half day job to replace.

Happy motoring lloyd 193 swing

I was I was putting things back together the 6th "special bolt" with plastic washer spun free and would not snug. My read, the rubber crush grommet is twisted in two. Why did it have to be number 6? So, I'll EVENTUALLY take off the WS again and replace it. Pesky contraption anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 1:58 am

How many times does anyone remove the windshield anyway? Normally most owners do it once, to remove the useless OE shield/screen to fit a Givi Airflow or other aftermarket screen of their choice. Removing the Honda screen to install an Airflow is the most comprehensively covered topic on this forum.

From Jeff R's very useful pictorial, to members experiences removing the screen garnish and breaking the lugs, losing the rubbers, and drilling through the plastic to reveal the hidden nuts for the metal brackets, it's all there to research, read,  and refresh your memory before you go delving around in there.

As long as you're not too enthusiastic you shouldn't lose anything but it does happen. So why not fill the space under the screen and above the headlight reflector with scrunched up newspaper, rags etc, to prevent rubber grommets dropping into that black hole they inevitably disappear into.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Meldrew wrote:
How many times does anyone remove the windshield anyway? Normally most owners do it once, to remove the useless OE shield/screen to fit a Givi Airflow or other aftermarket screen of their choice. Removing the Honda screen to install an Airflow is the most comprehensively covered topic on this forum.

From Jeff R's very useful pictorial, to members experiences removing the screen garnish and breaking the lugs, losing the rubbers, and drilling through the plastic to reveal the hidden nuts for the metal brackets, it's all there to research, read,  and refresh your memory before you go delving around in there.

As long as you're not too enthusiastic you shouldn't lose anything but it does happen. So why not fill the space under the screen and above the headlight reflector with scrunched up newspaper, rags etc, to prevent rubber grommets dropping into that black hole they inevitably disappear into.

The correct way to do this job is to install all 6 well nuts as Honda the manufacturer did when they built this machine, Not to use rags or scrunched up paper used or unused as suggested by some Bloke who has stated that he has only changed a windshield a few times, Recommendations from the inexperienced a great recipe for trouble. I recommend that each time a windshield is changed on a silverwing that the well nuts be replaced with the threads lubricated so that the fasteners thread in without excess pressure, Just push those old tired well nuts thru and slip in the new well nuts. Be sure that the Nylon washers are under each of the screw heads. The fluttering sound at speed in many cases is caused by air escaping the joint at the service cover and the nose cover juncture, If that is your problem a single drop of super glue at this point will stop that noise. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Well mate, I ditched my OE screen for an Airflow over six and a half years ago. Used the same rubbers, drilled the holes, fitted the brackets and that's it. I've only had to do it once, and I didn't drop anything, lose anything, it was as we say up North, piss easy.

Loads of other 'blokes' on here have installed the Airflow, the non adjustable Givi, and changed and maintained all sorts of things. The incredible thing is we all managed to do it successfully before a self styled "expert" on all things Silver Wing like you decided to join the forum.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Well mate, I ditched my OE screen for an Airflow over six and a half years ago. Used the same rubbers, drilled the holes, fitted the brackets and that's it. I've only had to do it once, and I didn't drop anything, lose anything, it was as we say up North, piss easy.

Loads of other 'blokes' on here have installed the Airflow, and the most incredible thing is we all managed to do it successfully before a self styled "expert" on all things Silver Wing like you decide to join the forum.

I correctly stated your experience was very limited. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 pm

A lot like your attempts at quoting my previous post then.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Oh joy. War of the Pontificators. Moderator?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Please bear in mind that there are new members here who appreciate & benefit from our discussions and the informed knowledge of our experienced members.

While I agree with most of what Meldrew said, this is not the kind of topic to have a piss'n contest over. Misunderstandings, conflicts and specious facts muddy the conversation and discourage new folks with honest concerns from participating. Please chill out or risk the consequence of having posts edited.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 7:02 pm

In the interests of research I can't find any joining Introduction from Mr Lloyd, any information on whether he currently owns or rides a Silver Wing, his experiences of riding one, accessories he's added, places he's been, nothing. Only vague references to being a past owner and a lot of hype about his technical and mechanical knowledge. It may be that the only Silver Wing he has is that Emoticon he persists on sticking at the bottom of his posts.  Smile
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Meldrew wrote:
In the interests of research I can't find any joining Introduction from Mr Lloyd, any information on whether he currently owns or rides a Silver Wing, his experiences of riding one, accessories he's added, places he's been, nothing. Only vague references to being a past owner and a lot of hype about his technical and mechanical knowledge. It may be that the only Silver Wing he has is that Emoticon he persists on sticking at the bottom of his posts.  Smile

Thrilled that your Quest for Knowledge has gotten the better of you. Of the 16 motor scooters in my shop belonging to me at this time is only 1 2004 AB Silverwing that turns 15.6 second quarter mile times when I take it to the Drag strip, At the red line on the tach it runs 114 MPH Indicated. Makes Harley owners Cry. Having owned about 15 Silverwings since I bought my first in 2002. Currently I have 2 2009 650 Black Bergman Executives, I own 1 Aprilia Scarabu 500, At the present time I have 3 PS250 Big Ruckus Scooters 1 highly modified, Dual rear shocks and 90 MPH top end. I also own 9 NSS250 Scooters, Some with modified engines and some are at 250 cc. All my machines are low mileage because I have so many that I can choose from, Scooters come and go here regularly. As far as milage on Silverwings I have put more than a half million miles on them over a 15 year time span. All my Bikes have Hub Lights, Givi or custom built windscreens, Extra tail lighting, Some have Trunks, All have Drink holders, It is hot here in Florida. Some have custom seats, All have air hawk air cushions, Compasses are standard on all my machines, All my machines are firearm equipped, I Have traveled most of the US time and weather permitting some time on back roads and some time in unsafe areas if you are unarmed, My last trip was to Phenix Arizona, Slightly over 4,000 Miles. All my Machines roll on Bridgestone Tires, I have done considerable Dark side tire Experimentation. My 2,000 Square foot machine shop is fully equipped to perform high tech work and to be able to manufacture parts. I today own a corporation, I stopped active work there in 1995 and have played the last 25 years. I am an expert Machinist, A Tool and Die maker, I have 60 years specialized welding experience, Having done work for the U.S. Government and solved a number of their problems. Received my first secret clearance at the Louisiana Army Ammunition plant in 1961. I have taken the time to provide this information for the contributors of this sight so that they understand that I am not another legend in his own mind guy criticizing posters on this sight. I enjoy helping people do a better job and improving their equipment. I hope you people will allow me to continue contributing to your informative sight. Lloyd Lisco Orlando Florida, Feel free to Google me. I am listed in the Orlando telephone directory. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Well there you have it folks.

Enough already!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windshield removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield removal   Windshield removal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshield removal
Page 1 of 1