Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
front mud flap I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

front mud flap

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
ericclapham
Siataukreg
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 am

Hi guys
This is just an observation having recently broken up two silverwings for spares both scoots have the same problem in that dirt and muck flips up behind the front mudguard runs up the panel in front of the radiator then through into the bottom of the rad and over time blocks up the bottom left side of the rad, the last one i stripped the build up of crap has spread the core of the rad causing a leak,so on my scoot i have now fitted a small mud flap made from some rubber sheet i found and glued with super glue it just deflects the muck under the belly plate its a small mod that could save you a packet and i would strongly suggest you do it before its to late rads are expensive. Oh have a look at the rad whilst your down in that area too
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 am

There have been previous posts on this subject . ( use Search.) The one to buy is for a '97 CB500. I have fitted about eight home brewed ones to various machines and have only ever used industrial quality double-sided tape along with some sealant round the edges to prevent ingress of foreign matter between the mating surfaces - these being thoroughly degreased first. Water based is preferable as it makes a neater job with a wipe from a damp cloth.  The benefits of this method are that no drilling is reqd and will detach easily if somehow given a good knock. My preferred donor material is from 1-2mm plastic plant pots from my local hardware store. These can even be colour matched if you shop around.    But "Do they last?" I hear you ask. Well, two have been fitted for over 10000Ks now.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 7:55 am

Wow! Great tip and great how-to.

Thanks guys.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 am

It's not so easy to buy good quality black plastic plant pots as it used to be, so a tip from the push bike community was using sheets cut from a roll of black plastic damp proof course. Very cheap to buy, and very easy to cut and attach.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

I've also successfully used the 1-1.5mm plastic supplied as a shape keeper with saddle bags or, in my case, ( punny !) a Px seat pack.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 1:20 pm

I just installed one on mine, I saw the inner tube post and remembered I had a partial roll of rubber roofing material, that and some Gorilla Glue tape and viola a new to me guard.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 5:57 pm

siataukreg wrote:
... i have now fitted a small mud flap made from some rubber sheet i found and glued with super glue it just deflects the muck under the belly plate its a small mod that could save you a packet and i would strongly suggest you do it before its to late rads are expensive. Oh have a look at the rad whilst your down in that area too

Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is not suitable for use when exposed to water. It will eventually become loose (unless you can coat/paint over it).

On my DIY mud flap, I used some builder's grey plastic damp proof course and used Evo-stick "Serious Glue". It really is seriously good glue.

front mud flap Dsc01113

It dries flexible and holds well to materials that other glues quickly fail on. I've repaired two cameras with it and often use it for gluing ordinary Velcro to various things as it holds better than the self-adhesive backed Velcro, e.g., I have used it to add extra Velcro holding patches on my bike jacket and the sole of a shoe.

It's a bit pricey, but here's a tip... keep it in a refrigerator. Quite a few modern glues (inc. superglue) keep better in a fridge.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:33 am

So, I found the plastic pot, cut it to shape and doubled a backing piece because of the small lip at the edge of the fender. The two pieces seem to have bonded well, but I'm having trouble gluing them to the fender. LePage all-purpose is not working on the fender, although it did on the two pieces.
Instead of more trial and error I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this and used products readily available in US or Canada.
Thanks,
Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 am

Clean clean surfaces, I used the double back clear Gorilla Glue tape. Before removing the backing tape I tried a couple positioning trials, removed the backing tape and put it place.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks, oldwingguy. Off to Wally world I go !
Jay.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Gorilla double-sided tape works like magic ! I saw the thickness would compensate for the thin lip on the front fender. So, I stuck it on without the filler piece and it is on there like a true gorilla ! Looks sharp too. Went on a 200 mile ride today, no problems.
Thanks again, oldwingguy ! I took your advice to clean and clean, getting that spray adhesive was a bugger but I did get it all off the fender and the flap. Mineral spirits works and brake cleaner in small doses.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Three thumbs up Smile
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 4:55 am

Gorilla glue products are becoming easier to obtain on this side of the pond. I found the duct tape is very good and the ordinary glue too. Looking forward to trying their other products as they become available.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 pm

While working on the fender mudguard I noticed that my lower body panels were not lined up properly. A great opportunity to pop the plastic radiator grille off and re-align. Gave everything a good scrub, and removed assorted crud from that area. Before putting everything back, I attached a piece of window screen material that should keep the worst of the crud off the radiator. Used zip ties to keep the screen firmly in place on the inside of the grille. Should keep bugs off too.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 1:02 am

cotetoi wrote:
...I attached a piece of window screen material that should keep the worst of the crud off the radiator. Used zip ties to keep the screen firmly in place on the inside of the grille. Should keep bugs off too.
Jay.

I may have misunderstood this! But if you have covered up part of the radiator you will restrict the air flow and the engine could overheat. Covering part or all of the radiator was often used in the UK in Winter to allow the engine to reach working temperature quicker. I know it gets cold in Canada but keep an eye on your temperature gauge.

JB
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 2:56 am

Window screen material is just small mesh to prevent bugs, and insects entering. It's usually made from fibreglass or aluminium (aloo-min-um! Smile). I have a piece of wider plastic coated mesh I've often thought of fixing behind the the radiator cover in a similar way as extra protection from loose road chippings. I've never got round to doing it because I can't be bothered, and if I thought it really was necessary I'd have done it by now.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 6:55 am

Fiberglass screening is in front of every radiator I have, even the tractor, being fiberglass it's easy to install AND remove for CLEANING, don't forget the cleaning part. Never had a problem with over heating on anything with e screens.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 am

Doh!!! for some reason I didn't picture mesh was thinking perspex or some such thing. I aas half asleep at the time.

JB
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:17 am

The mesh is useful around our neck of the woods. Keeps bugs and road grime away from the radiator. I went on a 200 mile ride on secondary roads and road works are everywhere; and only major highways are getting the real fix. Every other road is getting a patch with the very loose stuff that flings everywhere. Not to mention the bugs: we make them here for export and this year we seem to have a surplus!
Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 am

My first screen came at the suggestion of my son in Florida, it was Love Bug season and the damned things when squished emit a toxic fluid that etches everything, not removed promptly they can ruin paint ect. That and and a spray can of Pam will do wonders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

front mud flap Empty
PostSubject: Re: front mud flap   front mud flap I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

front mud flap
Page 1 of 1