Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Photo for July & August

Go down 
+3
GHM-PM
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Photo for July & August Empty
PostSubject: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Here is a photo of FrankL and his Silver Wing at Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. One of the very few scooters to ride to the end of the road at the northern most point in North America. Given the scorching heat this time of year in the rest of northern hemisphere it might be a little refreshing to fantasize riding far above the Arctic Circle. Note the tastefully applied duct tape holding the Front Cover to the Inner Cover.

Hmm, even though there is no apparent snow, Frank does look a bit stiff & frozen though.

Now if only we could get a photo of one of our Eurofolk and their Silver Wing at Nordkapp...

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 01, 2017 1:32 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Now if only we could get a photo of one of our Eurofolk and their Silver Wing at Nordkapp...

All the direct ferry routes from the UK to both Norway and Sweden stopped operating many years ago. They usually took 24 hours or longer, and were expensive even before you'd factored in the extra cost of a berth in a cabin and meals. Some Norway ferries arrived in port late evening so you had the option of another night in your cabin before disembarking the next morning.

For all their scenic splendour Nordic countries aren't a budget option for UK visitors, so unless you were part of an organised bike tour or had a booked a selection of hotel rooms, you'd likely be in a your tent or a campsite hut or cabin. I've read touring articles saying the road surfaces in Norway are particularly abrasive to tyres, so plodding all the way up to the Nordkapp and back you'd be better off fitting fresh rubber.

So really whatever the advantages of mountains and fjords, it's still  a long and expensive way to travel to the far North just for the bragging rights and the two obligatory photos. One with your bike or scooter beside a road sign showing you've crossed into the Arctic Circle, and the other that monument at the Nordkapp, which may or may not be shrouded in mist when you get up there.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 am

Counter to Meldrew's morose enthusiasm is that nutter, JAF Fernandez, who rode his Vespa from Spain to Nordkapp last January.

https://vespaextreme.blog/tag/jaf-fernandez/

Effort = Results
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 01, 2017 9:06 am

I'm not morose about anything mate, when I lived in Cumbria it was only about a 150 mile ride over to the North Shields ferry terminal. I've used the DFDS ferries to to travel to Gothenburg, Hamburg, and IJmiuden. I never quite got round to going to Norway before they stopped the ferries. Anyway nowadays I can fly to any of the Scandinavian countries in 2 to 3 hours very cheaply so why take a bike or scooter there.

Why on earth would I or anyone want to be riding on two wheels in Norway in winter where studded tyres are compulsory and there's only a few hours daylight? For me a few days in freezing New York this January was bad enough.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 01, 2017 9:19 am

Having just been over the Arctic Circle recently in Alaska I can appreciate what a feat this really is.  We were in a Toyota FJ Cruiser and the roads were muddy and full of potholes. Loads of adventure bikes headed that way but fuel is the problem.  Lots of extra fuel must be carried so I am guessing this guy had a support vehicle, but perhaps not.

Photo for July & August Arctic

Picture of my son and his wife!  His FJ Cruiser.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 01, 2017 9:41 am

Total respect to FrankL and IMHO a photo worthy of being a forum header.

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 3:58 pm

I flew that route a couple times in our C180 back when the pipeline was under construction and can vouch even at this later date a ride up that road on a Silverwing or any two wheeler is an accomplishment for one's bucket list.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 8:01 am

I like the new picture!

I have no need to ever ride to Alaska. None. It is one of the states I won't be riding a motorcycle in.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 9:32 am

Modernman1953 wrote:

I have no need to ever ride to Alaska.  None.  It is one of the states I won't be riding a motorcycle in.  

Sheesh,..Where's your sense of adventure? Especially since the PNW is so close --well, close, relatively speaking.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 9:55 pm

I talked to a pastor at my son's church and he and two buddies rode the Al-Can on motorcycles. He has a Goldwing and they were on Harleys. If they can make it we can too LOL.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Having ridden a lot of miles on both the Goldwing and Silverwing scooter I'd agree totally. In fact I'd rather be on a Silverwing in loose gravel.
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 am

Looked for other submissions from FrankL and didn't find much and nothing recently so I hope he is still enjoying his scoot. I have nothing but admiration for those who two-wheel it to that extreme. I'm thinking FrankL could write a fantastic book about his adventures. Kudos, Mr. FrankL!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photo for July & August   Photo for July & August I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Photo for July & August
Page 1 of 1