Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.

Go down 
+6
MSG_MotoVlogs
oldwingguy
Flyingpanman
"Hi Yo"
Mike from NS
Mr Blobby
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. Empty
PostSubject: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 am

This is my first attempt to put some video on line for others to watch. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFtdJ-LwG4&t=129s

Mr Blobby (More to follow)
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 9:25 am

Alan, your video brought back memories from a trip to your home land in 1997. I hadn't noticed your listed location but thought as I watched that this looks like some of the roads we traveled from Bangor to the Giant's Causeway and onto Bush mills. Then I saw the church at 5:39 and it looked familiar. So next step was finding a map and see what I could recall.

A group of 8 of us were traveling with our ballroom dance instructors (now Canadians whose home was in Newtonards who were back for a visit home.) They invited this group to come with them for a tour with them of their part of the world and to meet their family. They rented a van with a driver and we toured for a week; based out of Sheleven House in Bangor. One day we went south and rounded Strangford Lough. Portaferry was interedting as there had been a travel program on television here a few months before our trip which amoung many other things visited the pubs of Portaferry. It was neat seeing these places in person. The cemetery of Grey Abby was an interesting stop that day. But on another day the visit to the Ulster folk museum and the Museum of transportation will never be forgotten. Just as will a stop at Daft Eddy's, Carrickfergus Castle (and many other castles) and the day in Belfast, (complete with an unexpected Orangeman's parade) never be forgotten. Is that tree still in the center of the pub? Yes, many memories from 20 years ago brought back through your videos ...on a Silverwing, no less.

Keep the videos coming !!!
Mike
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 am

Hiya

Glad the video brought back some memories of your time in NI. The footage shows the road from Cairndhu to Glenarm. I have a number of videos still to be edited and lots more still to be taken. Here is another to have a look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNy0Mq9yDpE&t=20s

Glenarm to Carnlough

Mr Blobby
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm

thumbs up Thanks for the ride, but being on the "wrong " side. affraid
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi and thanks for the video. Ireland is a place I'd like to tour someday.

Some suggestions you might try. Firstly, the camera is focusing on the speedo and not the road ahead. Try to move the camera view off the clocks and more on the road with one third sky and two thirds road. That should give a better exposure and focussing... also keeps the speed police off your back.

Secondly, don't take up the option to smooth out the video with YouTube. That's what makes it look like a wobbly jelly. If your camera has built in video stabilisation, use that instead.

Personally, I'm not a fan of a 100% music soundtrack. I like to hear the engine and the wind now and again.

However, it looks like a nice route so keep it up.

PS. My own YouTube videos are under my forum username.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 8:25 am

Then I saw the church at 5:39 and it looked familiar.  So next step was finding a map and see what I could recall.

Mike from NS, I've done that many times, but I found to me at least an even better way, google earth, revisiting places sometimes even from the street view.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Then I saw the church at 5:39 and it looked familiar.  So next step was finding a map and see what I could recall.

Mike from NS, I've done that many times, but I found to me at least an even better way, google earth, revisiting places sometimes even from the street view.

Hi there "Oldwingguy" !

I agree with you about the google street views. I use them often. A most valuable tool prior to a trip.

One day a couple of years ago, when out on my Silverwing I turned down Hatchery Lane, from the Bedford Hwy, to travel along Shore Drive to the local outdoor pool. I followed the Google Camera / Mapping car along shore drive. If you "play" with this you will see some of Bedford, Nova Scotia and with a Silverwing in the picture. Most valuable and riveting --- not to be missed ... LOL !!!! Let's see if this works.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.7289688,-63.6625925,3a,75y,284.97h,85.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO3bckSk1M6m9OazqXhSAIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Mike
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Worked like a charm, thanks. We have been to Bangor but never to Nova Scotia, looks like we missed some nice riding.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Glad it worked.  Sheleven House in Bangor looks over a really nice marina. Some nice roads here in NS along the water's edge, like in Mr Blobby's vids;  but some that need repair.  At Peggy's Cove Lighthouse, a tourist trap not unlike Giant's Causeway, I asked a group of motorcyclists from the US how they liked our roads.  The comment was that "they keep you awake" !  This is the road that leads into the light house from the secondary road. https://www.google.ca/maps/search/peggy's+cove+lighthouse/@44.4977503,-63.9152344,3a,60y,147.57h,85.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saM5euSGU8fQ8uVGst40RcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656   Peggy's is a great destination for a short ride ... maybe 45 minutes one way from home.  I often use the Google street scapes to check out a ride destination, lessening any surprises.

And this is a link to the lighthouse web cam. http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/peggys-cove-lighthouse/.
Back to top Go down
MSG_MotoVlogs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MSG_MotoVlogs

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2017-01-21

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Mr Blobby wrote:
This is my first attempt to put some video on line for others to watch. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFtdJ-LwG4&t=129s

Mr Blobby (More to follow)

I record and post videos on youtube as well. I just posted a riding video I did Saturday from Canada to the USA.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/c/msg_motovlogs
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Well, I've just bought a Drift Ghost X camera but I can't decide where to fix it. I've read that helmet sticky mounts can degrade the integrity of the helmet so I want to fix it to the bike. Trouble is, I can't decide where to fix it. Any place I try it seems to be 'in the way' of something.

Is there an ideal place on the SW for a camera?
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2018-06-23

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 3:29 am

I have a RAM mount fitted to the left side fixing bolts of the brake lever, which will take a camera mount. I can move the camera between bikes that way, as I have RAM mounts on all of them. Only downside is that the camera is pointing through the screen, so does get a slight distortion from the screen, but hardly noticeable.

New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. Img_2310
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 4:08 am

A friend here who has a Forza 300 has a mount for his camera stuck on the fairing just below the screen.
It hasn't fallen off yet!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 1:13 pm

The handlebar mount looks secure alright. I did wonder about water on the screen spoiling the view!

Today I had a look at the fairing just below the windscreen and it looked ideal. So, if MikeO's friend's camera hasn't fallen off yet, I think that's where I'm going to put mine. The curved sticky pad contours very well to that area.
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
The handlebar mount looks secure alright. I did wonder about water on the screen spoiling the view!

Today I had a look at the fairing just below the windscreen and it looked ideal. So, if MikeO's friend's camera hasn't fallen off yet, I think that's where I'm going to put mine. The curved sticky pad contours very well to that area.

I use a lanyard from the mount to somewhere on the bike, just in case of worst scenario and the whole mount or camera falls off, it doesn't go bouncing down the road....
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Yeah, a lanyard is a must for all cameras. Everybody's says that the sticky pads are pretty much immoveable but I'm not convinced, especially during heat waves like we've had here recently, heat like that must make the glue a bit soggy !!

I am going to drill a small hole through the camera base and the fairing and secure the whole thing with a small nut and bolt....a nice chrome one I think, then attach a lanyard just be sure. I suppose an additional piece of anchor chain would be a bit excessive Idea
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Don't fix it to the fairing... too much vibration.

I use a side mounted helmet camera. No vibration problems, plus you can turn your head to include things that will be missed by a fixed point camera... and use a microphone!

I used a cheap glue called "Fantastic Elastic" from the local Pound shops. It holds well and doesn't attack the helmet. It can be peeled off if with the fingernails if need be.

A stronger alternative is EvoStik "Serious Glue" or Unibond Repair Extreme. These are all versions of the latest types of MS Polymer clear glues that grip well and yet remain flexible. They are solvent free.

I remove the double sided foam tape from the camera base plate and use the glue. It takes a while to set, but never lost a camera yet after six years.

Of course, there is a slight increase in possible injury with helmet mount, but I consider it to be minimal and the advantages outweigh the risk.

To see examples of my videos, just put my username into YouTube to get my channel.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 7:56 am

[quote="Flyingpanman"]Don't fix it to the fairing... too much vibration.

Nonsense!

Link here to video shot by the owner of the Forza (some members know Mozza very well), camera attached to the front of the fairing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXwPJCO709Y&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 9:31 am

MikeO wrote:
Flyingpanman wrote:
Don't fix it to the fairing... too much vibration.

Nonsense!

Not completely.

I've experimented on a Pan European (smooth V4 engine) and my KLV1000. Some areas are better than others. Things like engine vibes, sturdiness/security of the fairing plastics, type of camera and method of mounting all make a difference. Also, I didn't want to drill holes or glue mounts on my bike plastics.

Generally speaking, the metal frame of the bike gives a better chance of smooth video. Plastics can resonate and vibrate too easily. Certainly my old Silverwing used to until I sorted it out!

A helmet mounted camera will give a better chance of a smooth video.

It can show what the rider sees.  Important details are more likely to be captured, e.g. the view in the mirrors.  I also use a microphone to the camera and read out any distant signs, number plates, and information that may not be clear in the video.

A lot depends on why you want to video your rides. My main reason is 'insurance'. Therefore, I want to be able to video any vehicle alongside of me.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 3:57 am

It was the dismissive statement that prompted my response; one has only to watch the video to see that vibration is not necessarily a problem.
Back to top Go down
sandancroy5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sandancroy5

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 11:36 am

tried a camera stuck on the bike ,too much vibration and too much hassle. i bought a harness for your body and camera securely clicks on. best couple of pounds ( £) i have spent on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 pm

I made a mount for the Pan European, which uses the existing screen bolts on the side and with a good quality camera there is no visible vibration, unless the bike gets in a good old British pothole of course!!

I used a half decent Canon digital camera to film a funeral on Friday, using the RAM mount on the handlebars of the Goldwing. No obvious vibration, but of course the camera turned with the handlebars when riding slowly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.   New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New HD camera fitted to handlebar mount.
Page 1 of 1