Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear shock settings

Go down 
+10
ericclapham
SlvrwngTraveler
Easyrider
terrier
john grinsel
exavid
Meldrew
GHM-PM
dekare
Bluerider3
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluerider3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2017-02-14

Rear shock settings Empty
PostSubject: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm

With all my gear on I weigh in around 165-170 pounds. What would you suggest as a starting point on the rear shock in getting a good set up for a comfortable ride that also gives you stability and good cornering?
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Jeez. What do you weigh wet? Wink Guess I could stand to lose a few pounds! As for the answer to your question. I guess I would start at 2 and adjust to your preference up or down from there. I think the shocks probably go to 5 or so.
Back to top Go down
Bluerider3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2017-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 pm

When I weighed in my sweats this morning my weight was 158.2. Varies a pound or two day to day so let's call it an even 160 for an average. I am 5'10 1/2 tall.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 am

Um I am in the vicinity of 230+ at 6'0". So I run my rear shocks at "4" and it seems fine...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 8:04 am

This is another topic that's been covered before, the recommended rear suspension settings for solo rider, and rider and pillion are there in the Owner's Handbook, along with how to adjust the rear shocks, and the recommended tyre pressures for rider, and rider and pillion.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Personally I liked them cranked up to max. That gives a bit more clearance when in the curves or on rough roads prevents any chance of bottoming out on a unavoidable chuck holes. It really doesn't feel all that much different than the softer settings. One other advantage is that it means if you have a pillion rider you don't have to dig out the shock tool.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 am

You need to dig out the tool kit? I adjust both my rear shocks by hand just by gripping the spring and twisting.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 am

I use position #2 for most of my riding, Heavy load, touring #3. Can adjusted with leather gloved hand.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 am

Meldrew wrote:
You need to dig out the tool kit? I adjust both my rear shocks by hand just by gripping the spring and twisting.

Not so easy with arthritic hands.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 pm

exavid wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Not so easy with arthritic hands.

I can second that one Paul No
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 am

Last week I weighed 148 lbs at my doctor's visit and I set my pre-load at the first position. At 160lbs I use to set it at the second position. I can actually feel the ride difference. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 1:59 pm

So exavid is the only member here who rides with pre-load setup #5?
I found #5 to be the best for no wiggle/wobble riding experience with my wing. If anything I would consider pre-loads greater that #5. I believe it would improve wing's handling even more. Is there anything out there in the aftermarket world that can improve current rear shocks setup to the next level?
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Type in 'shocks' in Search. Plenty of info there about aftermarket rear shocks e.g. YSS/ Fournales/ Hagon. The Hagons I fitted really improve handling on the twisties and sweepers. None are cheap though so shop around.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm

SlvrwngTraveler wrote:
So exavid is the only member here who rides with pre-load setup #5?  
I found #5 to be the best for no wiggle/wobble riding experience with my wing. If anything I would consider pre-loads greater that #5. I believe it would improve wing's handling even more. Is there anything out there in the aftermarket world that can improve current rear shocks setup to the next level?

I've just had a long chat with the technical chap at Hagon about this very thing. He explained that out of the factory the spring rates are really aimed at the typical Jap customer, who are generally a lot lighter than most Western customers. He recommened that a typical 200 rider would need to at least use the mid setting on the stock shocks, and would need to use the max as soon as they added luggage or a light pillion. Beyond that, you need a different spring rate. The Hagons for the Swing have to be custom made for this bike since they're about 2" longer than almost any other shock in use. The springs are also unique, and the clevis is only used for this and the SH 300 or 300 Forza or something. The springs are a more suitable weight on the Hagons, specced for a 200lb rider to need only the lowest preload. The next setting (about +10-15mm or so, I'll check later) is for a not too heavy pillion. The top setting (up at 20-30mm or so) is for pillion and luggage. If the rider is pushing 250lbs on their own, then at that stage Hagon would fit the next stiffness spring such that the loan rider would start with the lowest preload etc.

I'm also tinkering with a way to lengthen the shocks a further 20mm. The best way to do this would be to make a 20mm longer clevis, but since this is billet alloy on the Hagon nd also pretty much unique to this model, it can't be done as a one off (or two off!) So the technical chap explained how to pull the clevis off, and I promised I'd keep him updated.

I've got my previous 2 sets of rear suspension from this same chap, both sets were also custom made. One set -10mm for a Continental GT, and another with a one off remote preload adjuster for an 80s GPX250 baby sportsbike. Both were perfect. This latest set for the Swing arrived 22 hours after my phone call, can't really beat that.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 9:23 am

Bluerider3 wrote:
With all my gear on I weigh in around 165-170 pounds. What would you suggest as a starting point  on the rear shock in getting a good set up for a comfortable ride that also gives you stability and good cornering?

The higher the number setting used, The stiffer the spring and the lesser the suspension travel. Notice the extreme suspension travel on off road vehicles, This is desired so that the tires remain in contact with the road surface.

Use #1 for the best operation overall. The guys advocating the high number settings have already ruined their bikes handling with their installation of a top box containing the kitchen sink complete with the plunger and other assorted junk.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 am

The guys advocating the high settings have already sussed out that the Silver Wing is a maxi scooter not a 'bike', they actually set their sights on going places, so carry all the the gear necessary and a lot of the time a passenger.  Once at their destination, they unpack, and go out blasting through those mythical twisties or whatever, and may even take off that top box. But they'd be wise to leave it on, who wants to carry an expensive helmet around, or try and shove it in that not well thought out storage space under the seat. That's one of the many advantages of a top box.

If you actually did a bit of riding/touring instead of sitting in your rocking chair, on your high horse waiting to get your tyre fitting count past this mythical 1000, you'd know that 'top boxes ruin handling' is another one of your old wives tales, like 'loud pipes save lives', and 'wanking makes you go blind'

It obviously doesn't because you're reading posts on here, and you're still signing off with this 'happy motoring' nonsense on a maxi scooter forum ... why?
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 11:52 am

Meldrew wrote:
The guys advocating the high settings have already sussed out that the Silver Wing is a maxi scooter not a 'bike', they actually set their sights on going places, so carry all the the gear necessary and a lot of the time a passenger.  Once at their destination, they unpack, and go out blasting through those mythical twisties or whatever, and may even take off that top box. But they'd be wise to leave it on, who wants to carry an expensive helmet around, or try and shove it in that not well thought out storage space under the seat. That's one of the many advantages of a top box.

If you actually did a bit of riding/touring instead of sitting in your rocking chair, on your high horse waiting to get your tyre fitting count past this mythical 1000, you'd know that 'top boxes ruin handling' is another one of your old wives tales, like 'loud pipes save lives', and 'wanking makes you go blind'

It obviously doesn't because you're reading posts on here, and you're still signing off with this 'happy motoring' nonsense on a maxi scooter forum ... why?

More Mildew humor, Some guys are inexperienced at humor, Mildew is a baiter, a real Master.

Happy motoring, Enjoy your bike, Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm

lloyd193 wrote:

The higher the number setting used, The stiffer the spring and the lesser the suspension travel. Notice the extreme suspension travel on off road vehicles, This is desired so that the tires remain in contact with the road surface.

Please find me ANY picture of a scooter that has the same suspension travel as an off road vehicle.
That ^^ or keep posts in context
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 3:17 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
< >If you actually did a bit of riding/touring instead of sitting in your rocking chair, on your high horse waiting to get your tyre fitting count past this mythical 1000, you'd know that 'top boxes ruin handling' is another one of your old wives tales, like 'loud pipes save lives', and 'wanking makes you go blind'

More Mildew humor, Some guys are inexperienced at humor, Mildew is a baiter, a real Master.

Happy motoring, Enjoy your bike, Lloyd 193.

Tsk, tsk. Can't you boys behave?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm

lloyd193 wrote:

Use #1 for the best operation overall.

Gotta wonder why Honda wasted time & money engineering the other four settings scratch
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 12:38 pm

The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

Use #1 for the best operation overall.  

Gotta wonder why Honda wasted time & money engineering the other four settings scratch

To further confuse you inexperienced plagiarist.

Lloyd 193
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 12:48 pm

The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

Please find me ANY picture of a scooter that has the same suspension travel as an off road vehicle.

More Juvenile Drivel.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

More Juvenile Drivel

Stop beating yourself into a corner, the travel on off road vehicles has little if anything to do with shock preload settings also the springs are not necessary stiffer, the travel is there to overcome theeffects of axle articulation.

Like I said earlier please keep your posts in context.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 3:11 pm

The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

More Juvenile Drivel

Stop beating yourself into a corner, the travel on off road vehicles has little if anything to do with shock preload settings also the springs are not necessary stiffer, the travel is there to overcome theeffects of axle articulation.

More Childish drivel.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 3:53 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

More Juvenile Drivel

More Childish drivel.

No demonstable technical retort, so resorts to insulting invective, speaks volumes about his ego to ability ratio Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 4:02 pm

The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

More Juvenile Drivel

More Childish drivel.

No demonstable technical retort, so resorts to insulting invective, speaks volumes about his ego to ability ratio Laughing Laughing

This agitator provides no useful information to you members.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 4:07 pm

Bluerider3 wrote:
With all my gear on I weigh in around 165-170 pounds. What would you suggest as a starting point  on the rear shock in getting a good set up for a comfortable ride that also gives you stability and good cornering?

The #1 setting will give you the smoothest ride, Best weight transfer, Highest road feel, Best tire wear and best rear wheel breaking. If you add weight you can increase to a higher pre load # on your Coil over shocks.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings   Rear shock settings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear shock settings
Page 1 of 1