Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cut Down Silverwing

Go down 
+8
Leena H
Meldrew
MikeO
Modernman1953
Davefirestorm
dspevack
Easyrider
andyjanet
12 posters
AuthorMessage
andyjanet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-09-20

Cut Down Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi All, I have a motorhome and a silverwing,
i am looking to change the motorhome to one with a larger garage (higher Door)
has anybody converted their wings so they are not as tall.
i have given it a good dose of looking at and reckon i can use an old screen cut down and rounded off into a sort of sportster screen,
the wingmirrors will then be a problem i dont want to unscrew them everytime i put it in the garage the threads will soon give problems, i am thinking of buying the mirror extension arms and doing some jiggery pokery with a lathe and a welder making a male and female part that will hold together with an r clip,
my top box is honda quick release so thats already sorted,
any more ideas from peeps out there.
Thanks Andy
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Andy,
If you install the GIVI Adjustable screen, the top adjustable part of the screen can be slid off easily reducing the total height. As for the mirrors, just loosen the lock nut and turn the mirrors in. I don't think that that will cause much wear on the threads. Why not instead install a bike carrier on the back of your motorhome? Good luck.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 2:42 pm

There was a company that made sportbike type windscreens for the Silverwing, but a cursory search on the internet yielded nothing.
The problem with that short a screen however, is that it provides no protection.
I think easyrider's suggestion of the GIVI adjustable is the way to go.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 3:08 pm

There are sportsbike style screens on eBay for the SW.Regards the mirrors maybe studs screwed into threaded bit on h/bars and wing nuts used to secure mirror on extenders
Back to top Go down
andyjanet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 6:09 pm

The silverwing came with a large givi screen that had been cut down by previous owner just so the cut part was in my eyeline, i now have this spare in the garage so cutting that down is no problem, i quite like the idea of a sporty looking low profile wing. i replaced the cut down givi with the large givi, so its an easy swap
i have had motorbikes and vespas on the back of the moho we have at the moment and the amount of crap that gets into every groove and seem is unbelievable,
would much rather put it inside, and not have to worry about the security if they cant see it they dont know its there.
East rider its the mirror height i am trying to reduce,
davefirestorm where are you in northants i lived in islip nr kettering for 38 years and worked as an AA man for twenty years in northants
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Sunny Daventry lol.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 1:00 am

One can put a hitch on the front of the motorhome and haul it on the front.

Back to top Go down
andyjanet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Modernman1953 wrote:
One can put a hitch on the front of the motorhome and haul it on the front.  

never seen this in uk or europe not sure its legal over here but thanks anyway.

hmmm sunny daventry eh put on many a pound in the greasy spoons that used to be on the A5 near there, i worked out of brackmills industrial estate for a number of years
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 3:08 pm

How about one of these:

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/biketrailers.htm
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 4:10 pm

The OP didn't like the idea of his bike getting road dirt when bike behind moho. He needs to modify his moho to convert his back wall to drop down as a loading ramp to store bike in rear of his moho.. After moving bike out, the storage area can be reconfigured for living space.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 4:43 pm

There's a lot of high spec European motorhomes that now have a ’garage' area at the rear. I attended a very large show in Düsseldorf about ten year ago and one motorhome had space inside to carry a Smart Fortwo car.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 2:32 pm

I got the Airflow, but as Davefirestorm mentioned sporty windshield I remembered seen one when looking for my windshield. sporty windshield . As a matter of fact there´re several heights of this brand.
Back to top Go down
andyjanet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Leena Hallasmaa wrote:
I got the Airflow, but as Davefirestorm mentioned sporty windshield I remembered seen one when looking for my windshield. sporty windshield . As a matter of fact there´re several heights of this brand.
thanks just what i need .Andy
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 1:06 pm

What I can't figure out is how you are going to get your Silverwing up a ramp and thru a door that is so low you need to cut the windscreen down. I know if I tried this maneuver I'd be laying my bike down and not on purpose. I like Meldrew's solution, RV with proper garage door.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 3:10 am

ScottO wrote:
What I can't figure out is how you are going to get your Silverwing up a ramp and thru a door that is so low you need to cut the windscreen down. I know if I tried this maneuver I'd be laying my bike down and not on purpose. I like Meldrew's solution, RV with proper garage door.

I agree. There are a lot of YouTube videos of guys trying to load their bike up a ramp and failing, having their bike fall off to the ground.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 4:29 am

Having seen many British and European motorhomes/RV's with cycles or small capacity scooters carried on the back. If I was a motorhome owner, my choice would be a couple of electic cycles/pedelecs to nip around the local area when the tin tent was parked up on a campsite.
Back to top Go down
andyjanet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 5:02 am

The Motorhome i am looking at has a full size garage door, where you can get a naked bike into the garage, the bike is loaded onto a dolly thats fitted to a ramp and will be pulled in with a winch so no problems withdropping the bike.
my problem is the screen on the silverwing is too high and would need cutting down so have now i have hatched a plan to cut down my spare screen andfit this whilst i use the silverwing with the motorhome.
we have electric bikes and will use these for local journeys, i do have an itch to disappear on the bike to ride some of the alps in france whilst full timing in the moho
Back to top Go down
hondos
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 12:42 pm

What about using a Madstad windshield, The Madstad shield can be removed from the bike very fast 4 bolts that are Very accessible without removing any plastic parts, also they are adjustable for Height, (so you May Not have to remove it, just lower it all the way) and Angle/Tilt adjustable too, and they are a Positive pressure shield system, the stock Windshield is a Negative pressure shield. The Mirrors, What about Bar End Mirrors, I have a Nice set (I'm NOT selling them, or anything) of Bar End Mirrors in my shop and was thinking of installing them on my 2005' Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 2:45 pm

I tried riding without the screen last when it was hot (a Monday if I remember correctly).
So much air pressure on my chest I thought I was having a heart attack!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Cut Down Silverwing Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:25 pm    Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Not sure the height of your garage door opening and if it has a opener or not,but you can disconnect the device and temporally raise the door to maximize the opening.Just a thought. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cut Down Silverwing   Cut Down Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cut Down Silverwing
Page 1 of 1