Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The oxygen sensor

Go down 
+3
steve_h80
Cosmic_Jumper
docjones
7 posters
AuthorMessage
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-12

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Has anyone had to remove theirs and if so was the connector hard to get to? I know the wires are extremely delicate so twisting them is a known no-no. I know from experience the one on the 08 Suzuki Burgman 400 is a pain in the a** to work with.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2016 11:34 pm

It's a simple enough task but a PITA the first time until you understand what you are (blindly) trying to accomplish. Remove the right passenger foot rest and follow the O2 sensor wire up to where it disappears behind the body panel. If you can figure out how the plug detaches from the little clip on the air filter then detach it and pull the wire down to expose the plug. It might help if you remove that right side body panel the first time so that you have an unimpeded view of how the plug is secured to that clip though. Anyway free up the plug and then disconnect it. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 1:21 am

Daft question, but why remove it?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 6:45 am

steve_h80 wrote:

Well, suppose you needed to remove the muffler...
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:23 pm

IIRC the connector for the sensor has three barbs holding the two parts together and can be quite a struggle to split.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:52 pm

bikerboy wrote:
IIRC the connector for the sensor has three barbs holding the two parts together and can be quite a struggle to split.
 It is a PITA to disconnect that plug. But if you free the plug from the clip on the air filter housing it allows you to pull out that harness & plug and seperate the plug more easily.

As I said, it is much easier the first time if you initially remove the side panel. 

Tim
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
steve_h80 wrote:

Well, suppose you needed to remove the muffler...

Sensible answer :-)
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Daft question #2... Once the clip is removed from the air filter do you leave it unattached?

Next time the O2 sensor needs removed you only need to remove the foot rest and pull down the wire to expose the plug?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2018 9:09 am

Remove, just screw out---replace wind the cable/wires up a little, put sensor back in, makes easier on next time removal. my comment, it is poor design for something that needs to come out for muffler removal.

My question: is sensor only on later models? my 09 and 13 had it as I recall.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2018 12:15 pm

joebillybobinark wrote:
Daft question #2... Once the clip is removed from the air filter do you leave it unattached?  

Next time the O2 sensor needs removed you only need to remove the foot rest and pull down the wire to expose the plug?

I suppose you could leave it unattached or figure out a more user-friendly way to secure the cable. That connector plug is a genuine PITA to detach from the air filter housing tab.

To clear up any confusion; the O2 sensor wire unplugs to allow the muffler to be removed when necessary. No need to unscrew the sensor itself from the muffler --unless you intend to replace either the O2 sensor or muffler.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2018 2:29 pm

But getting at the plug=pain.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

I removed the sensor from the pipe on mine, took the opportunity to give the thread a coat of high-temp anti-seize. I rotated the pipe itself to avoid kinking the wires! Bit of a faff, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
joebillybobinark wrote:

I suppose you could leave it unattached or figure out a more user-friendly way to secure the cable. That connector plug is a genuine PITA to detach from the air filter housing tab.

To clear up any confusion; the O2 sensor wire unplugs to allow the muffler to be removed when necessary. No need to unscrew the sensor itself from the muffler --unless you intend to replace either the O2 sensor or muffler.

PITA for sure.  Hardest part was figuring out how to separate the plug.  A small flat blade screwdriver worked best but not before uttering a few words that cannot be posted here.  Would have made a sailor blush..

Side note my air cleaner was filthy... Only 4K miles on the clock. Will order a replacement now that I know how to access it.

While body cover was off was able to posi-tap the rear blinker lead. 4 way blinker is next on my to-do list
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm

I've used a product called Posi-Lock for connecting wire ends. why couldn't something like that be used on the O2 sensor wires? perhaps behind the foot rest? save me from having to take the body panel off....
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2018 9:20 pm

After at least 10 times removing SilverWing rear wheel and muffler---I see no need to unhook anything/remove panels-----just twist the wires, wind up and remove sensor. returning it, just put a little extra twists in the wires. My case always worked.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 pm

john grinsel wrote:
After at least 10 times removing SilverWing rear wheel and muffler---I see no need to unhook anything/remove panels-----just twist the wires, wind up and remove sensor.   returning it, just put a little  extra twists in the wires.   My case always worked.

I always did that with my k7 b400... until the wire broke. had to replace entire lead. no fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The oxygen sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: The oxygen sensor   The oxygen sensor I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The oxygen sensor
Page 1 of 1