Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 3:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 1:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 12:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 4:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 1:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tires II IRC front again

Go down 
+5
terrier
Old Limey
MikeO
Thebreen
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Tires II  IRC front again Empty
PostSubject: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 7:57 am

Changed front tire on my SilverWing, back to IRC recommend by Honda. So--

Bought matched pair from local Honda dealer---about $150 with tax, nicely wrapped, made 46th week 2015---so fresh.

Decided to take wheel off, etc, using tools I carry with me, on floor, exception used floor jack and large piece of wood and longer shop tire irons rather than short MZ irons I carry with. All tools worked,I take front fender off so I do not have to jack front so high. To get wheel out on field repair, I guess bike needs to laid on side.

Wheel off, checked wheel bearings=ok, Front Brake pads should last to 50,000 miles,fender crack at bottom near mud flap bolt, repaired with larger fender washer.

Again used shop air compressor rather than struggle with hand pump and small electric pump.

RESULTS: with IRC on front handling to back to normal!! Take off Michelin Power Pure SC just not right for proper feel/slow speed handling on SilverWing. I struggled with it for 8,000 miles. Rear remains as HOOP with still about 2-3000 of life left.
Road tested this AM---both on the bad streets of Chattanooga and freeway---both fine.

Bare Wheel--tested for out of balance on stand---way heavy towards valve. Mounted tire, by moving on rim obtained pretty good static balance----then "Ride On", test ride to warm tire and stuff up----it works well and bike and tire roll smoothly down road----tested to 85mph.

Next time will use my lift...as less work

Where as older rider, the Michelin bothered me most was slow speed, moving around, and even lean---AND feeling of loss of balance near stopped. IRC ok for me.
Back to top Go down
Thebreen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 8:24 am

John, thank you for the post. how many miles have you gone on this Silverwing (or do you attribute the crack in front fender to something else)?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 9:06 am

My first Silverwing had IRCs on and the bike always felt right.
I can't remember how long they lasted but it was quite a while!

My second also had them but I had to replace the back one last year.
My 'man' put on a Bridgestone Hoop. This has proved as good as the IRC, as Hoops did on my X9 500.
I can't say whether a Hoop on the front would affect the handling but it would be my choice if a IRC wasn't available.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 9:30 am

I didn't know you could get IRC tyres in England ( what does IRC stand for?). The tyres on my Silverwing's were always fitted with Bridestone Hoops. I tried Metzellers, and Diablo's no different to the hoops, either in performance or longevity. My rear tyre is due for renewal now after 8000mls which is normal wear for me. I normally get about 11000 out of the front.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 10:17 am

I bought my first Silverwing new in Belgium.
The second I bought second-hand in England so I don't know where the tyres that were on it came from.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 10:21 am

Googling 'IRC tyres uk' will show they are available in the UK.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 10:47 am

Irc tyre

IRC is a leading Japanese tyre manufacturing firm from Nagoya with experience of more than 80 years. Aiming at quality and superior products, the company started its journey in the year 1926 and is still running a majestic race. Establishing itself in tyre manufacturing before eighty years with bicycle tyres, Inoue Rubber Company started its exporting division from 1933. Investing lot of manpower who toil hard in R&D Centre to bring in new innovations, the year 1952 saw the successful launch of Motorcycle tyre production unit. The broad vision of IRC helped them to set up new manufacturing firms in Korea and Indonesia in the years 1973 and 1988. The team with full vigour has also achieved a milestone of largest growth company in history in the year 2004. With continued excellence, the company has contributed a lot to the motorcycle tyre manufacturing

Den Smile
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 10:53 am

I bought my Silverwing new in 2011 and it came fitted with IRC tyres as standard. The tyre pressure label on the bodywork stated IRC or Bridgestone Hoops.

I replaced the rear at 14,000 miles with a Michelin Citygrip that works well and seems to be lasting ok.

I've now done 24,000 miles and the original front IRC is close to the wear bars. I bought a pair of Bridgestone Hoops from my bike shop (£85 the pair which I thought was good) so I'll put the front one on soon and see how it goes with the Michelin on the back. If the handling goes to pot I'll put the new Hoop on the back too.
Hopefully it'll be ok as there looks to be a few thousand miles life in the Michelin yet.

So, to sum up... pretty pleased with the IRC tyres - rear lasted 14,000 front lasted 24,000. Michelin Citygrip rear is good and looks to last about the same (shame they don't do one in the front size).
I don't know how well the Hoops will perform but, since the Silverwing had them as standard in many markets, they should be ok and were a good price.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Michelin Power Pure SC rear works fine with IRC front. I have used up 4 Power Pure rears, 2 with SilverWing, 2 with Burgman 400---all lasted at least 10,000 miles. But Power Pure on front of SilverWing=horrible, rear just fine.

I tried matched set of Pirelli Diablos on Burgman 400 result=horrible in wet and groved pavement, scary----so off they came. Never tried on SilverWing.

Crack in front fender bottom edge probably from hitting something.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Great reporting. I have stock tires and have 8700 miles on the 2011. I think I should make 11000 on the set. So ill probably replace with IRC. Unless guys give Dunlop's a good write up. I would get 20,000 plus on Dunlop Elites on my gold wing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 8:05 pm

I got 14 K on IRC OEM front tire and about 10K on the rear. Not bad.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 7:48 am

my Swing had a new City Grip on the rear when I bought it, at 6k or so miles, obviously the PO didn't get much mileage from the stock rear, which, since it's a 2012, I assume was an IRC
Maybe he rode it hard and put it away wet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tires II IRC front again   Tires II  IRC front again I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tires II IRC front again
Page 1 of 1