Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hyperpro Progressive Springs

Go down 
+7
bigbird
MikeO
MaxB
DaveR
forgitaboutut
JeffR
Bernardo
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Hyperpro Progressive Springs Empty
PostSubject: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 9:56 am

Not that the ride was ever that bad in the first place, but in simple terms, with the progressive springs the ride is now better, suited to a more sporty riding feeling, sharper with better damping, more like a sports tourer bike than before which is more akin to a heavier touring bike.

The progressive springs IMHO make a noticeable difference to handling in that the ride is now firmer and more precise, much less tendency to wallow if you are hustling through corners, or leaning into wide sweeping bends on a blustery day at a high speed.... (80mph+) Bumps are soaked up a little better, with less movement of the suspension, also diving under braking is much better. Similarly less front end lift under hard acceleration. From a safety aspect if you tend to push the envelope, then considering the added stability and better control, especially at high speed and under harsh braking then the springs are definitely worth it. If you ride more "cruiser laid back style", and are not fussed about the handling but are more concerned about soaking up the bumps then perhaps of less use.

I've also tweaked the pre-load on the rear shocks to 4 making the ride a bit stiffer which seems to suit the front better. :D
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 am

Like Bernardo I really think the Hyperpro's really improve the handling. If you like to go in the twisties and push the Swing a bit they give the SWing more of a m/c feeling. And they really don't cost that much and why Honda just doesn't put these in stock is beyond me. I'm sure the stock springs are somewhat expensive too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
forgitaboutut
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 pm

JeffR wrote:
Like Bernardo I really think the Hyperpro's really improve the handling. If you like to go in the twisties and push the Swing a bit they give the SWing more of a m/c feeling. And they really don't cost that much and why Honda just doesn't put these in stock is beyond me. I'm sure the stock springs are somewhat expensive too.

That's Honda for you!!
I just put Progressive Springs In my '07 Goldwing...Kinda sucks when you buy a $20,000 Bike, and have to replace a $100.00 part to make a big improvement...
oem's were ok... but would get ALOT of vibrating in the handlebars
Progressives made a major improvment!

BTW Jeff, Thanks for the Maint. pics & files you've provided! cheers
Already looking forward to some of these tasks after looking at your work!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:13 am

I'm surprised that the Goldwing wouldn't come with springs like progressives. The sure help the SWing in a big way and I'm glad I got them. I would say, at least for me, that the first mod to do is the taller windshield and the 2nd mod would be the springs. It really helped the SWing out big time.

If you ever have any questions please just ask away if you are going to take on a project. We have a lot of mods on this site and I plan on doing a "Pictorial" on how to put in a power outlet this spring/summer. That's another thing I'm surprised the SWing doesn't come with, but that's another post 🍺
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:02 am

JeffR wrote:
I'm surprised that the Goldwing wouldn't come with springs like progressives. The sure help the SWing in a big way and I'm glad I got them. I would say, at least for me, that the first mod to do is the taller windshield and the 2nd mod would be the springs. It really helped the SWing out big time.

If you ever have any questions please just ask away if you are going to take on a project. We have a lot of mods on this site and I plan on doing a "Pictorial" on how to put in a power outlet this spring/summer. That's another thing I'm surprised the SWing doesn't come with, but that's another post 🍺

The European ones have a power outlet as standard.... Smile
Back to top Go down
forgitaboutut
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:49 am

The SW came with a Givi windshield!

Even the Gwing Dindn't have any outlets! A nice plugNplay and mount for it in the trunk though Evil or Very Mad ...
So I add 3! 2 for me & 1 for her....
leads to next ?
Do you know off hand how many watts/ amps the SW can handle...
I have a LOUD stereo, heated seats,grips, clothing,xtra GPS mp3,aux LED brake/turn lights, and driving lights on the GW...

I know I will be limited to what I can do with the SW!
All I can find is o.441 kW/5,000 RPM which tells me nothing!

I'm planning on a 100W stereo for sure...
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Forgitaboutut,

Here is a good link to review:

http://www.silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=8590;hl=electrical%20output

I have read through this but you may want to read it too. It seems like we have about 13 amps available on a stock SWing. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
forgitaboutut
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks Jeff! :Not Worthy:
This is bad news for me! But I'm glad I found out before I hooked anything up!
I'm going to keep an eye on these guys that have amps hooked up...I think they will eventually fry thier Stator,If it's cranked up at low RPMS! And it is a PITA to replace! The engine will have to be removed!
I had a 1981 CX650 that I had hooked up a stereo,with 3 speakers...this was back in about '89.I'm not sure what the output was but after that,I NEVER want to have to deal with a Stator again!
it was loud, but it burned up the Stator,and the bike was NEVER the same after that
Thanks for the info Jeff!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Now have the HyperPros installed and all is well. I had to remove them a second time as one of the forks would not compress like it should. After opening it up and redoing it for whatever reason it works fine now. I do think I will like them. I rode it about 90 miles this afternoon and it worked like it should have in the first place...
Dave R
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 6:26 am

yes you will like them .Sorry to hear that you had trouble with one ,but it is a hobby so no biggie it could happen to any one . I know I like mine .
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I do have one question though...Did anyone experience getting rid of the wobble experienced at the low end speeds. I was hoping the HyperPro springs would help some. Once I get above about 45 - 50 mph I can take both hands off the handle bars and it is fine. But when you take your hands off the handle bars at slow speeds look out!
Has any one figured out how to fix that?
Old Dave Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 3:58 am

I have never tried it with no hands so I don't know . It did make a difference on low speed turns .
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:43 am

Low speed wobble is a result of lower gyroscopic effect. (remember playing with one as a kid)
the higher the speed (wheel revolution) the higher the gyroscopic effect.

gyprscopic effect is that it does not want to change direction of axis of spin.

At lower speeds ther is less effect, thus allowing minute changes (slight shift of weight etc.) to change axis of spin. then it tries to return to original axis. Thus the wobble.

The speed is of wobble onset is variable aon many factors. All two wheeled vehicles have it. (Nature of the beast)

Hope this helps.

MaxB (who is getting more wobbly as he gets older)
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Maybe I am thinking wrong but it seems to me like the smaller wheels should not have the wobble as much as the larger ones on the M/C. I do understand the gyros having been in aviation for numerous years. It just doesn't seem like you should get that wobble and there should be a way of correcting it.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 1:44 pm

True, but the 'gyroscopes' on a motorcycle are connected by springs to the thing on which they are acting.
This must have some bearing on the way they affect the stability of the bike.
I surmise that the fact also that the rider alters the orientation of the gyroscope rather than it moving the machine makes a difference, too.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 2:46 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 1:39 pm

You are blessed not to have wheel wobble....I think most of the people who ride the Silverwing experience it. I haven't been able to get rid of mine and I thought the springs would maybe help. I have a Perelli tire on the front and before that had the original. Was very careful about the balance of the wheel and I still seem to have it at the low speeds. At above about 45 it goes away...
Old Dave Embarassed
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Dave,

Have you ever considered the single disk brake as part of the problem? I had a Yamaha a long time ago that had only one disk brake and it also had a low speed tendency to shake it's head. The two newer road bikes, both BMWs had two disks at the front and showed no sign of wobble at any speed.

The trike conversion made the wobble less noticeable on my Swing, but it is still there.

:flower: :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 2:36 pm

I also have not experienced any sort of wobble in the Swing. 2009 bought new w/ a little less than 6k miles. Original tires.
Back to top Go down
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Does anyone have a picture tutorial on installing HyperPros? I got a set for Christmas, which finally arrived today. Another story. From the all-makes included directions I have no idea where to even start. Some riders in the forum have done this themselves, while others have used a dealer. I'm leaning to paying if I can't get more confidence in pulling this off myself.

Any suggestions? No riding for a few months in the Ohio winter, but I want to have these in and ready. Thanks!

Last edited by GWPSI on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi GWPSI,

I think bigbird did a write-up on changing out the front springs. He should be chiming in soon. What a Face
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 8:21 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 9:57 am

Big Bird,

Thanks. I am buying a full shop service manual. Using that and your post I'll see if this is something I can do without trashing the bike. Thanks again.

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 pm

Scooter Rider:
I have the Hyper Pro springs on my 2005 and have ridden it for about 1000 miles. I like them and think they are worth the money. I do think if you have any mechanical ability at all, that you shouldn't have any problems. With what was written above etc. it should go well. And "if" you have a service manual it shows the fork tubes and a clear detail of all parts. I did not remove the front tupper. I purchased a "14 mm gear wrench" extra long from our Minards store. It worked very well and before I tried to remove the fork tubes, I sprayed the bolts in advance a couple of days with some WD 40. Anyway my 2 Cents worth.....
Old Dave....yes I still have the low end wobble if I take my hands off. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro Progressive Springs   Hyperpro Progressive Springs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hyperpro Progressive Springs
Page 1 of 1