Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Downsizing I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Downsizing

Go down 
+2
Crustycrutch
Meldrew
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 10:02 am

I've been seriously thinking for some time now about downsizing from my Silver Wing back to a smaller single cylinder maxi. This is where I started 20 years ago with a Helix and I toured on single cylinder 2-stroke MZ's for about 10 years before that so it's not a big deal for me to go back to a smaller capacity scooter.

I've lost interest in the Honda after almost five and a half years, I don't 'love it' as some owners claim to as it's just another scooter. It's a very good tourer, solo and with a passenger and I've enjoyed riding it in stock trim without all the unnecessary farkling that goes own here. But I'm ready for a change and the average salesman/dealer doesn't give a toss at trade in time that you've fitted a load of HyperPro and Joe Pulley stuff. I'll take off the Airflow and put the pristine but rubbish OE screen back on. Smile

Since the 250cc class is long dead in the UK, a 300 maxi knocking out 22-25 BHP and weighing around 200kg will suit me fine. I noticed the 30kg weight loss immediately going from a 650 Burgman to the Silver Wing, so I'll be pleased to drop another 45kg getting a 300. Nothing currently from the Japanes Big Four really interests me so I'll be looking at SYM and Kymco.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 10:35 am

Hi Meldrew, I had a whizz out on a Kawasaki J300 which is virtually rebadged Sym I believe. Very nippy, light and comfy too. Will be interested to hear your views on the smaller scoots!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 10:40 am

Crustycrutch wrote:
Hi Meldrew, I had a whizz out on a Kawasaki J300 which is virtually rebadged Sym I believe. Very nippy, light and comfy too. Will be interested to hear your views on the smaller scoots!

The Kawasaki J300 is basically the Kymco Downtown 300i ABS rebadged, I looked at one yesterday.
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi meldrew
Have you looked at the piaggio x10 350cc scooter google shows a dealership in york the specification do tick some of your requirements in your post
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 12:52 pm

jodders1 wrote:
Hi meldrew
Have you looked at the piaggio x10 350cc scooter google shows a dealership in york

Hello mate, yes there is a Piaggio dealership in York they've MOT'd my Silver Wing for the last three years, there's also Piaggio dealers not too far away in Leeds, and Hull. The Piaggio range has never really appealed to me, and to me the X10 is just plain butt ugly. 

I'm not looking for suggestions, I've more or less decided on what I want already, but there's a couple of alternatives I'd like to look at before I make a decision.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 1:30 pm

I sincerely hope that you'll continue to haunt this site once you leave the SW behind. This place would be greatly diminished without you.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Mel be sure to post an update on what ever you decide. Stick around w or w/o the wing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 8:34 pm

I, too look at down sizing.....less dead weight. Helix I liked....and they worked, bought 4 new ones ended up with 175,000 total Helix miles......only walked once/broken drive belt.

Current US market......probably only Honda Forza would work for me--think dealers if you ride a lot.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Downsizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsizing   Downsizing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Downsizing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Other Scooters and Motorcycles :: Other Scooter Topics-
Jump to: