Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding gloves

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
Cookie
Easyrider
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 5:22 am

How long should riding gloves last? I ride around a hundred miles a week and my Scorpion SGS gloves only lasts twelve months at best. I'm on my second pair and looking for another pair. Both pairs tore at the wrist. The first pair only lasted four months and was replaced under warranty. I am looking for a Spring, Summer, and Fall type glove. The search results are old and I'd like more current information. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 6:12 am

They should last for years. The trouble is that some gloves now are manufactured more with a nod towards looking the part rather than actually holding together.

I bought a pair in 1977 which I replaced in about 2004 with a pair from Lidl's that I am still using every day.
I still have the first pair which are still ok - just look really dated!

I probably ride about 12,000 miles per year.

Before anyone says it... I know I should get a new higher tech pair that are more protective etc but I like my old gloves.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 6:14 am

I've no idea but I still occasionally wear a pair of Reusch winter gloves I bought at a bike show back in the late Eighties. I like deerskin gloves when I can find them as the leather has a lot more tensile strength than cow hide.

Aerostich do some very good elkskin roping gloves in a couple of versions and have a visor wipe on the left index finger, and as a tough simple no frills glove should give you many years service. I bought a pair and they were quality items, unfortunately as I'd bought the unlined version one of the inside finger seams on one glove protruded a bit and made it uncomfortable. Instead of returning the gloves I tried stretching and trimming the seam of the glove and in the end knackered it. Sad
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 6:39 am

By chance I, too, have a pair of deerskin motorcycle gloves I bought on line from the States at least six years ago.
They have longish cuffs with zips - I've had to have them re-sewn once on each glove.

I don't do nearly as much riding as some Swingers, handlebar muffs aid longevity and I have a pair of waterproof, lobster-claw overmitts just in case.
In cold weather I wear 'silk' liners as they are not lined.

I treat them with leather balm/food a couple of times a year and they remain a pleasure to wear.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 pm

I have a pair of Polar flex buy Tourmaster bought about 12 years ago. They still work, still zip and no sean has come apart. Still below about 40F, forget it. Then I use the bags of hot gravel inserts used by other cold weather sports.

I would like to see what snow mobilers use for gloves. As we are coming into May cold weather gloves is kind of a back burner concern here in S Arizona. Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 12:30 am

What features do you all look for in a three season glove? I like short gloves with the added protection of hard knuckle and finger sliders. On the palms I like more sliders.I need to start looking for better gloves. Anyone try the Revit line?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 12:40 am

I have three pair of gloves I've ridden with for quite a few years now. One pair are short, perforated leather for hot days. I use deer skin gauntlets in cool weather and a pair of Gerbings G3s that I wear in cold or wet weather. The Gerbings are great in the winter when plugged into the bike's electric outlet when the temps get in the 20s. For the 50-30F range the Gerbings do just fine without being connected to power.

All three pairs are doing well, I've had them for around ten years so far. The perforated pair are fading a bit on the upper surfaces. But then I only wear them on hot, sunny days.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 8:56 am

I have two pair that I use currently. One is a summer, perforated leather set with armor purchased from Cycle Gear in 2012. This is my primary set and is a bit worn but still serviceable, cost about 40 bucks or so if memory serves. Very comfortable and I will replace with similar ones when they die! Set two is a pair of BMW Kevlar gloves with insulation (my winter set). Very warm but obviously not as tactile as the lighter pair and they list for MUCH more dosh! The velcro separated on one of the gloves from the leather; took it in to an alteration shop and they stitched it and put another stitch on good one for 4 bucks so am back in business...
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 11:26 pm

My summer weight gloves, and we have a lot of summer in Arizona are wrist length with a velcro security strap. The palms are deerskin with reinforced palms. Back side the knuckles are reinforced (not armored with a plastic cap). Mostly these are all vent mesh on the back, more is better at 105F. I think they were through Hondaline.

As for brands, I have had good service from Tourmaster and Joe Rocket.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 8:07 am

These are the ones I bought - the company were most helpful, especially in respect of the shipping costs:

http://www.bbarbwholesale.com/gloves-motorcycle-deerskin-patented-comfort-design-long-cuff-p-277.html?osCsid=2b1f9cd61892ef3751657fd1ad37a7c5
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 9:51 am

Interesting material deerskin, many years ago before Internet sales I remember sending for a brochure and some scraps of different coloured deerskin from a manufacturer in the US.

It was probably Langlitz Leathers who advertised in both Cycle and Cycle World. I was asked to try and push a pin through the scrap of thicker cowhide that also came with the brochure, and then try again with the deerskin. Not knowing much about deerskin then, I was impressed that it was a lot more difficult to push the pin through the thinner deerskin because of it's greater tensile strength.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riding gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding gloves   Riding gloves I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding gloves
Page 1 of 1