Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Which wires are for the brake light?

Go down 
+6
DickO
Bash On!
Old Limey
Cosmic_Jumper
bandito2
dalehazelton
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Which wires are for the brake light? Empty
PostSubject: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 9:47 am

Hello,

I'm trying to add a red LED light as a second brake light. Before I start cutting into wires I want to be sure I cut the correct ones.

On this forum I've read DennisB's post about his harness that states the blue wire is for the brake and the white wire is a ground.

On another Silverwing forum I've read that the green/yellow wire is the brake light and the green wire is a ground.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 am

green/yellow wire is the brake light and the green wire is a ground.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks - I thought green was always ground so DennisB's instruction made no sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 1:39 pm

IIRC DennisB's "Perfect Connector" did not follow the Honda OEM wire color code. He made up that Connector for wiring a trailer.

I have a 5-wire plug & play "Perfect Connector"-type tail light wire harness adapter available. Honda factory color code wiring and Hitachi connectors. PM me if interested

Tim
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm

When I fitted an extra brake light I did NOT cut any wires, I used a connector that is used for trailer wires it is usually blue and has  a centre piece that has one  v shaped cutter that is for the original wire and continues through and joined to it is another v shaped piece that takes the extra wire. when it is closed both wires are pushed into the v's and connection is made. When I sold my first Silverwing I just opened up the connector and pulled the wires out, used the connector again on my new silverwing. Sorry cannot remember the wire colours.  Smile I think on my FJS they were not the same as Dennis mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm

You mean a suitcase connector--like this?

http://www.micromark.com/suitcase-connectors-idc-905-red-pkg-of-25,8939.html
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 5:58 pm

I always wondered what those rascals were called... cute name... I've use several of them.  Also, while the Green/Yellow is the brake circuit, that must make the BLack/BRown the tail light circuit.  (CMIIW)...  Correct Me If I'm Wrong...  Always wanted to "coin" a new acronym and since I've got more time than sense, thought I'd give it a shot...
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 6:57 pm

I'm done, thanks all. I thought those were called Scotchlock connectors, which everyone frowns upon. I used something from Radio Shack, one half crimps on to the wire you are tapping and the second half is a spade connector that slides into the first part. Should make me a bit more noticeable.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 11:30 pm

When I hooked up my lights on top case I used posi-taps.

Last edited by ScottO on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 7:04 am

The connectors you described are called Scotchlok connectors.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 8:53 am

To each his own on the Scotchlok connectors, admitting ease of use but what I saw in the long run is the galvanized part and the copper wire don't get along well and eventually they corrode and cause problems. Most all I used were replaced by solder and shrink tube or the bullet connectors. The use of dielectric grease MAY prolong the life span if they are used.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 9:29 am

Scotchlok is the 3M brand of a suitcase connector.  It's becoming the standard term for the connectors, I guess, like kleenex for facial tissue.

I heard the same thing about problems with the connectors.  Also, it's not too hard (at least for me) to get a bad connection when doing the crimping (wire not the right size for the particular connector, wire moves as the crimp is made, off-brand connector, not using a proper tool, etc.).

But, then again, I'm a ham-fisted mechanic.  One day I'll share the story how when installing a radio on a bike I managed to get a chopstick in the gas tank--that's the kind of handyman I am.  Sad
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 9:35 am

I've tried all sorts of crimps and spade connectors and and disliked almost all off them. By far the easiest solution is to use Posi-Lock and Posi-Tap connectors.

Unscrew the two parts of the Posi-Lock and separate, strip the insulation of the end of a wire and thread it through one end of a Posi-Lock, do the same with the other wire and thread it through the other end of the Posi-Lock and screw the connector together. That's it done, ideal for fitting 12v plugs to sat nav leads and whatever electrical junk you think you need to draw attention to yourself with.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 9:41 am

Meldrew wrote:
I've tried all sorts of crimps and spade connectors and and disliked almost all off them. By far the easiest solution is to use Posi-Lock and Posi-Tap connectors.

Unscrew the two parts of the Posi-Lock and separate, strip the insulation of the end of a wire and thread it through one end of a Posi-Lock, do the same with the other wire and thread it through the other end of the Posi-Lock and screw the connector together. That's it done, ideal for fitting 12v plugs to sat nav leads and whatever electrical junk you think you need to draw attention to yourself with.

Posi-Lock then shrink tube it and you should be good to go even in wet locations. On trailer connections I've even added a smear of silicone rubber over it for abrasion protection.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 3:30 pm

The light I picked up had two setting, modulated (rapid flashing) and always on. Well, there were NO instructions as how to select a setting so my brake light is modulated. I prefer that but it may not be legal in (YOUR STATE HERE) so a connection I could take apart was preferred. I only had one small posilock connector so I went with the Radio Shack ones I had. They are significantly cheaper than the posilocks as well. Heat shrink isn't necessary in that area as it is dry as a bone in there.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-quick-splice-con-18-22awg?variant=7188842757
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which wires are for the brake light?   Which wires are for the brake light? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which wires are for the brake light?
Page 1 of 1