Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 9:35 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Problem - with KEEPING the clock set

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bunken
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Bunken

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-08-21

Problem - with KEEPING the clock set Empty
PostSubject: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 1:30 pm

We just did some work on my 2007 SW600. We added a new CB but used existing wire connections. We added an auxiliary (more visible) LED tail light that ties into the existing tail light wiring. Tried to install some heated grips but gave up as the SW cable was to thick to fit into the cable-slots in the new grips. We did nothing that should have affected the operation of the clock and trip/mileage cluster.

However, since doing this - the clock resets itself to 1AM every time I turn off the bike. The trip odometer changes back to the total milage display, but does not reset my A or B trip reading.  I can just change the mode and go back to the Trip reading.
Any ideas/ comments?
thanks, Bunken48
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 2:17 pm

This would happen (the clock business) if you disconnected the battery for some reason. Is there a relay for your CB radio you inserted in the main power buss? Just guessing...
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 2:56 pm

I had the same problem when I bought my SW and it was due to a missing fuse! It was the one, which also secures the under seat light.  I suspect the previous owner removed it to prevent the light draining the battery if the compartment was not closed properly. Check the fuse for the clock under the seat.

Problem - with KEEPING the clock set <a href=Problem - with KEEPING the clock set Fuses10" />
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 5:42 pm

So nice of you to start at the Introductions section to, um, introduce yourself first.

Hmm, let's see; it was working fine until you fixed it. That's gotta tell you something.

As Gremlin suggests, check all the fuses. Then disconnect each accessory you added, at the location you connected to the OEM wiring, one by one and see if the problem still presents after disconnecting each accessory. When you get back to stock and the problem has been resolved then start over and retest the system after each accessory is added. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Hint - Hint - Hint... Give us a little history on yourself, Bunken. Will give us a better idea of who we're chatting with. Satisfies our curiosity about you plus lets us know how far into a problem explanation we need to go to provide an adequate answer... anyway, welcome to the best SWing site there is.
Back to top Go down
Bunken
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Bunken

PostSubject: Gremlin hit it on the Head!! It was the dang fuze.    Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Bunken wrote:
We just did some work on my 2007 SW600. We added a new CB but used existing wire connections. We added an auxiliary (more visible) LED tail light that ties into the existing tail light wiring. Tried to install some heated grips but gave up as the SW cable was to thick to fit into the cable-slots in the new grips. We did nothing that should have affected the operation of the clock and trip/mileage cluster.

However, since doing this - the clock resets itself to 1AM every time I turn off the bike.  The trip odometer changes back to the total milage display, but does not reset my A or B trip reading.  I can just change the mode and go back to the Trip reading.
Any ideas/ comments?
thanks, Bunken48
cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Bunken
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Bunken

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 7:16 pm

THE FUSE STORY:
On our ride the day before we did all the work on my SW, I had a fuse go out and my buddy DB said he would show me how to fix it. He opened up fuze box and said "you just take out a spare fuse the right size which is a 30 - and replace the bad fuze. And SHAZAM!! All was well with the world again. However I apparently didn't notice that now my Clock/Odometer cluster was not working properly like I described.... it RESET the clock and trip A & B every time I turned off the bike.
Only after we had installed my new CB and Tail light - and took a ride a few days later, that I noticed the problem. DB , Whom I just renamed DA (dumb a**) had not bothered to put on his bifocals and pulled out my CLOCK FUSE instead of the SPARE FUSE. So after reading all the suggestions from you fellow SWingers - the Gremlin's seemed the easiest and quickest to check out, and sure enough that was it. I took the spare and put in the vacant Clock socket and my cluster is operating just like new.
I can't be too hard on DA (aka: the old DB) because he and another of our riding buddies, DM, donated a whole day to me working on my Silverwing, and all it cost me was buying their lunch. So THANK YOU GREMLIN, Kenjj50, Cosmic_Jumper, and DickO for your timely and willing advice. I'd be proud to call you all friends. How do we do that? Bunken.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi, Bunken; glad that you have got your problem sorted.  There is just one more hint:  make sure you put the correct size fuse back to where it goes. Since they are all the same size it is easy to put in a fuse which is too big for a circuit. Check they fuses in your two boxes and make sure they are all the correct size. They are color coded.  Inserting a 30A fuse in a 10A circuit could lead to serious damage on a circuit with thin wiring.

[img]Problem - with KEEPING the clock set Cartru10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Bunken
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Bunken

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Good hint Gremlin. It wouldn't have occurred to me that so much damage could be caused. But I have noticed the extremely thin wires the few times I've been into the innards of my SW. thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem - with KEEPING the clock set   Problem - with KEEPING the clock set I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problem - with KEEPING the clock set
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: