Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Back after several months riding

Go down 
+3
CathyN
Kenjj50
SteveSilverWing
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Back after several months riding Empty
PostSubject: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 8:17 pm

My name is Steve and I live in Southern California, and specifically, Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley.  It gets cold here but rarely, if ever, freezes over and certainly never snows.  Except for a rainy season, which we desperately need, it is riding weather all-year round.

Earlier this year in May, I had purchased a new Honda 2013 Silver Wing 600 ABS (3 miles on odometer).  I've taken it out on several outings since that day, both solo rides and with a passenger, and love the feeling of riding it tremendously.

For most of the week, I use my SW for commuting to and from work on LA freeways.  But weekends are a different matter.  Some of the rides I've undertaken were at first difficult in that I was not used to riding such a large-sized bike and for such far destinations.  (I come from a Vespa-type background, only mine was made in China and extremely cheap, but that's a whole other story.)

Rides I've taken in Southern California...

1. Santa Barbara (with passenger)
2. Angeles National Forest Hwy. 2 (solo and with passenger)
3. Point Mugu near Oxnard (with passenger)
4. Oak Glen (with passenger)
5. Rancho Cucamonga (solo)

Rides I look forward to taking in Southern California in the 2016 year...

1. San Diego
2. Lake Tahoe
3. San Francisco (up the 1 hwy.)
4. Route 66 to Flagstaff, Arizona

There are plenty more options available but I'm wondering how long I can ride in one day, and when is it time to check in to a room for the night?  Any thoughts on that you might have to offer would be appreciated.

Any extended trips I will take will often be with a passenger.

Thanks in advance for any tip of extended mileage trips.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 8:32 pm

I ride with a friend who owns a 1200 BMW touring bike. He has ridden lot of bikes and lots of miles since he started riding in his teens. We have ridden 4 hours at a stretch broken by a 30 minute lunch stop. We are both seniors and based on that experience, I think I could make 500 miles in a day by myself with a few stops, but it would take about 12 hours by my estimate. My friend says it's hard to do more than 250 or 300 miles in a day if you're riding two up and making stops every hour or two to stretch. He has a lot more practical experience at long trips than I do, so I believe he's correct. Under usual circumstances this distance would take 6 or 8 hours and that's a long way on a bike. Some of the other riders in this forum may have better information based on much greater experience.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 12:02 am

Steve,

I ride with my husband, he rides a BMW R1200GS. I have been riding 5 years. The Swing has been my 1st and only bike. I have ridden over 55,000 miles over that time. I ride solo, I don't really know how it is with a passenger.

The most miles in one day I have ridden is 650. All interstate not very exciting. I have had plenty of 12 to 13 1/2 hour days on the bike. It all depends on the weather, road construction, where your trying to get to in a certain amount of time, etc. I prefer 250-300 mile days on US, state, and county roads. With leisurely stops to enjoy the scenery and other interesting places to explore.

My suggestion is do what is comfortable for you and your passenger. Not a good idea to ride when your tired and hungry. Also always be aware of how far your next gas, food and lodging is down the road and if you are up to getting there with no issues.

But most importantly enjoy the ride and be safe. motorcycle

Cathy
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 am

While you're in Flagstaff take some time to ride up the hill to the Lowell Observatory, it's more interesting than you might at first think
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 11:14 am

How far? just don't override that tired feeling, that's when errors occur more often than not. I've been tired on a 200 mile day and felt good after a 400+ mile day it just depends. Two up? the voice behind thee more often than not will be a deciding factor Wink
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Im just extremely jealous of you Wink Having lived in Los Angeles in the past and have a love for Santa Barbara, thats a trip I could see myself making quite frequently. So gorgeous, glad to see youre getting out and about!
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Thanks Old Wing Guy!   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 10:54 am

That's very interesting in that a rider might feel differently depending on the day and the ride. 200 versus 400+ is quite a variance.

I like what you said about the "voice behind" because you are entirely right. Laughing We have voice communication with a Blutooth device, and that's where the 'I need a break' comes from.

Take care and thanks for the feedback and advice.

Steve

oldgwingguy wrote:
How far? just don't override that tired feeling, that's when errors occur more often than not. I've been tired on a 200 mile day and felt good after a 400+ mile day it just depends. Two up? the voice behind thee more often than not will be a deciding factor Wink
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 7:55 am

I have done several 400+ days on the Silver Wing. But in my experience, 300-325 is a good distance per day. I also am a senior and I ride to SEE stuff not eat up the miles. Been there and done that, now I just want a nice day with lots of time for exploring and pictures! I have broken 500+ several times on the Goldwing but they are designed for different purposes, the electronic cruise control really helps too, wish I could find one for the SWing Smile Look in our "Rides" section on here and get some idea of what I and other do on a trip, good info there. If you do the I-40 trip, PM me and perhaps I can meet you some place?

Another trip you might want to consider is the Sequoia/ Yosemite area. I did that a few years ago on the SWing and it was incredible! Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back after several months riding   Back after several months riding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back after several months riding
Page 1 of 1