Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake fluid

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Brake fluid Empty
PostSubject: Brake fluid   Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Regarding Howard's recent suggestion to Hankster to change brake fluid --for any number of reasons, including that brake fluid is ascorbic and will draw in moisture from the atmosphere and thus contaminate the fluid, brought to mind that

Several years ago I changed my brake fluid from DOT4 to DOT5 because DOT5 is synthetic. And because DOT5 is synthetic it is non-ascorbic. I experienced no ill effects using the DOT5 fluid and probably put on 20+ thousand miles with that fluid before the scoot became Humpty Dumpty in a non brake-related accident.

I also intend to switch to DOT5 on my "new" '09 SW when the spirit moves me. 

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Brake fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid   Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 6:10 pm

DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids and are used widely in the automotive and cycle industry. They are controlled by standards set out by the Department of Transportation (DOT) - hence the name.

The main difference between these two brake fluids is in their boiling points. Part of the standards that need to be met by the manufacturers of DOT fluids are the minimum dry and wet boiling points. These are the minimum temperatures that the brake fluid must perform at before the brake fluid starts to boil, which can lead to complete brake failure.

Let's take a look at the minimum boiling temperatures of DOT brake fluid as specified by the Department of Transportation.

Various boiling temperatures for DOT brake fluid
Remember, these are only the minimum standards. Brake fluid manufacturers can and often do improve on these figures and it is possible to find DOT 4 brake fluid with a higher boiling point than some DOT 5.1 fluids on the market.

Since DOT 4 and 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids they are compatible with each other, which means they can be readily mixed without harming your brake system. It is important never to mistake DOT 5.1 (glycol-based) with DOT 5 which is silicone-based and should never be mixed with any other DOT fluid.

So just which brake fluids can you mix without causing harm to your brake system? Let's take a look at the chart below ????? the chart didn't come along with the C&P
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Brake fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid   Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks OWG. I'm looking forward to a broader discussion. However, I did use DOT5, (not 5.1) after bleeding the entire brake system.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Brake fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid   Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 6:44 am

It's almost getting to be like anti freeze types bounce 3-4-5, 5.1 brake fluids, anti freeze IAT- OAT- HOAT, find the best for ones use and stick with it is the EZ way.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Brake fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid   Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 7:52 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Regarding Howard's recent suggestion to Hankster to change brake fluid --for any number of reasons, including that brake fluid is ascorbic and will draw in moisture from the atmosphere and thus contaminate the fluid, brought to mind that

Several years ago I changed my brake fluid from DOT4 to DOT5 because DOT5 is synthetic. And because DOT5 is synthetic it is non-ascorbic. I experienced no ill effects using the DOT5 fluid and probably put on 20+ thousand miles with that fluid before the scoot became Humpty Dumpty in a non brake-related accident.

I also intend to switch to DOT5 on my "new" '09 SW when the spirit moves me. 

Tim

Can I chip in here,  the recommended brake fluid for a Silver Wing is Honda DOT 4 Brake Fluid or any brake fluid of equal quality or performance. Since DOT 4 brake fluid is widely available why would you want to use anything else?

I changed my DOT 4 brake fluid earlier this year, it was a straightforward job and the 'old' brake fluid that had been in the system for over 4 years looked no different from the fresh DOT brake fluid I added. So what exactly is wrong with putting the recommended grade back in?

You're also sagely telling the forum that DOT 4 brake fluid is ascorbic which is incorrect, DOT 4 brake fluid is hygroscopic.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Brake fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid   Brake fluid I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 11:07 am

Thank you for that correction, Meldrew. Who knew?...Sage advise from the brain-impaired. 

There is nothing wrong with using DOT4 brake fluid. I chose to switch from DOT4 to DOT5 because it is synthetic and is non hygroscopic. It is also readily available. Similiarily, I also chose to use full synthetic oil rather than petroleum oil in the scoot. Personal decisions which have served me well. YMMV

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brake fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid   Brake fluid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake fluid
Page 1 of 1