Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» noise under load
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:38 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Owner Intro

Go down 
+5
Cosmic_Jumper
oldgwingguy
Dale N.
Tommo
hankster
9 posters
AuthorMessage
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 12:43 am

Hey all. Just purchased a '03 SWing with 21K miles. Will pick it up in a week or so. It's a bit cosmetically rough but seems to be mechanically fine. The previous owner rattle can painted the tupperware so I may at some point sand and repaint it. It is claimed to have been completely serviced and new tires 3K miles ago but there is no history on the belt. The V-Belt light doesn't come on but I'll prolly change that soon just to make sure it doesn't become a problem.

I started out on an old 50cc Yamaha "moped". Moved to a Zuma 125 and currently have a Piaggio MP3 250 (looking to sell it). I really like the MP3 but the complexity of it, the frequent maintenance schedule, scarcity of parts in my area and it is a 400lb scoot with 22hp makes the acceleration leisurely at best.

Already learned a lot reading here and I'll be checking in often, posting updates and I'm sure asking some questions.
Back to top Go down
Tommo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tommo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-01

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 6:14 am

Hi Hankster, you are riding a good machine, I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about them.
If I could I would have mine in the house, so it didn't feel lonely.
This is a good site, a plethora of info.
Welcome. cheers
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 7:49 am

Good morning hankster! I have an 08 SWing that I bought April 2014 from my sister in Milton, FL. It had been sitting under a tarp for two years so I trailered it home. The belt had been put on about 3,000 miles before I bought it but seeing as it had been sitting that long I changed it. Better safe than sorry I thought. The belt looked great but I figured as long as the tires were weather cracked I didn't really trust the belt. I kept the belt as a spare tho.

I love my SWing and ride it as often as weather permits.

This is a great site with lots of information and friendly people ready and willing to help.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 9:16 am

Welcome aboard like Dale said cheers Lovin to S'Wing.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 11:02 am

Hello Hankster. Welcome to the asylum.

You mentioned that the (V) "belt light" doesn't come ON. It should light up briefly when you first start the scoot then go OFF in a second or two. Actually all the lights should display when you first key ON --it's a system check.

With 21,000 miles your scoot should have had the belt replaced awhile back at 16K when then"V" light came ON. Given the low mileage for the scoot's age it might suggest thatbthe PO wasn't too enthusiastic about the scoot and may have disregarded the belt maintenance (V) light and continued using the scoot. For that reason you just might want to replace the belt and keep the present belt as a spare. Partzilla is your friend.

Oh, and when you do replace the belt be sure to do the 'belt light reset' procedure. That way your new belt will be synched to the 16K mile warning light interval.

Tim
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 11:14 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hello Hankster. Welcome to the asylum.

You mentioned that the (V) "belt light" doesn't come ON. It should light up briefly when you first start the scoot then go OFF in a second or two. Actually all the lights should display when you first key ON --it's a system check.

Yes, the light goes come on briefly when first started, so the light is OK. Since I have no idea on the condition of the belt I'd rather replace than risk it breaking going down the highway Smile

The history I got on the scoot was it was purchased in an estate auction. That owner bought it for resale , did some repairs, service (fluid changes, plug, tires and the crappy rattle can paint) and resold it to the guy I bought it from. The last owner only rode it a few times each winter (he's a snowbird), only 3K miles 2 years. He decided to sell it because he just didn't use it as much as he figured he would.

Thanks for the advice, can use all I can get as I gather more on the ins and outs of the SWing.
Back to top Go down
bikerbill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-08-28

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 2:27 pm

Hello hankster,

Welcome to this site! I've been a member for a very short time and have found valuable
information here. About to go to my brothers house to install some 12v sockets per info gleaned from this site.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Welcome to the site and congrats on your SWing. I agree with you on changing the belt. I always changed my belt a bit early just because I didn't want a belt failure. I would also change the fluid as well just for peace of mind. If you have any questions than please just ask away....someone will be able to give you the answer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 8:03 pm

The oil/gear oil has supposed to have been changed recently. The engine oil looked clean, I'll check the gear oil when I change the belt. Most likely wouldn't hurt to change the coolant, I'll have to investigate on how to do that.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 10:18 pm

Welcome Hankster! Think you will like your '03 Silverwing and you are lucky enough to live in Florida so you should be able to ride it all year round. Just purchased an '03 this year but pretty much winter storage time around here.

Coolant change is pretty easy, just did it a couple weeks ago and requires minimal dis assembly and doesn't take very long. A search on this forum for "coolant change" will provide a number of step by step instructions and suggestions.

I would recommend a Service Manual that can be purchased from various sources. Will provide information to do just about any work for yourself.  Most maintenance and many repairs are not too difficult. Would also recommend a torque wrench to tighten fasteners to recommended values.

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 10:31 pm

LOL, winter is the time to ride in SW Florida. In the summer it is almost too hot and it rains most every day so I actually ride less in the summer.

There is a Honda service manual that is included so that will save me a few bucks. Also a set of rear shocks is included. Not sure why he got them as the current shocks look OK (no leakage) and the test ride I did they felt fine. Guess it never hurts to have them. I'll have to search for the info on the coolant change, thanks for the tip. I know it's a real pain to do on the MP3.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 10:11 am

Welcome aboard hankster, to the best site on either side of the pond. First it is great that you have the Honda S/W service manual.
A another item you might check is the brake fluid. Weather it is ABS or not it is not that bad of a job to flush the system out with new fluid. Just like any other disk brake system you want to close the bleeder valve before leaving up on the lever. Always use new fluid.Brake fluid is very dry and can draw moister if the can has been open for any period of time. Also I would recommend to use Honda antifreeze.Aluminum engines use a specific antifreeze and it is not that expensive for the amount that is required. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Sponsored content

New Owner Intro Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Owner Intro   New Owner Intro I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Owner Intro
Page 1 of 1