Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Turn signal / Running lights

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Turn signal / Running lights Empty
PostSubject: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2015 10:00 am

Howard, your sig line mentions that you've converted your rear turn signal lights to dual-filament bulbs so that they now function as running lights as well. Can you please explain how you accomplished this; how you replaced the bulb socket, and with what, what size (#) bulb, etc.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Turn signal -running light   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Be glad to Tim.You can buy a generic dual filament socket complete with a short length of wiring at most autoparts stores. I prefer the bayonet type socket. Some sockets are just round and do not have a index to match the opening.This type is easier to work with. If not you may have to rework(dremel tool) the opening in the taillight housing (necessary to remove the housing). It was not as big a deal as it may sound. I used the older bayonet(1157) type bulb. You want to use the brighter filament in the bulb for the turn signal. Just attach it temporary to find it.
Two years ago the 1157 bulb was slightly amber but this year they made a Red diode bulb and I can tell it really gets there attention by the way they back off.
I also like the idea of a extra light in the back.It makes the S/W outstanding from the rear. Please do not hesitate to ask questions. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Ok, so I checked my turn signal socket and it looks pretty specific to the tail light body --given the O-ring and locater tabs.,Are you saying that you found a 'generic' 1157-type,tail light socket that will replace the entire OEM socket and fit the turn signal body with a little dremel work, or did you find a 'generic' dual-contact metal-sleeve replacement socket that will fit into the existing Silverwing turn signal socket with a little dremel work? If the latter, did you also drill out the existing (contact) base of the OEM socket?

Is there any way you are able to find out the manufacturer & part # for the socket(s) you used?

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Turn signal / Running lights    Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Your first scenario describes my application.If I were to do it again I probably would modify the new socket and leave the S/W tail light housing as is.The replacement sockets where of a plastic material.It has been about three years but I will see if I can find some paper work.A added benefit of changing to LED bulbs that use less amperage is a much brighter and faster flashing turn signal. Howard
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 8:16 pm

I haunted several auto parts places today looking for a suitable 3-wire socket to convert to rear turn signal / running lights. I didn't have much luck. Later I did an on-line search for conversions. While most posts cautioned that it is illegal to use amber lights as rear running lights I did come across several circuits which use diodes and resistors to allow OEM 2-wire sockets to be wired as 3-wire turn/running lights. Here is a link to a circuit: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=turn+signals+running+lights+jpg&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#hl=en-us&q=turn+signals+running+lights+&imgrc=RTZ5ptZ1W-CwBM%3A

The diodes control the direction of voltage while the resistors (in the running light branch) reduce the current to the bulbs to limit the running light brightness. Full bright when turning; less bright when running.

Nevertheless, I'd still like to find a 3-wire socket to replace the rear turn signal.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 11:07 pm

The amber lights are not correct for rear lights but searching for too years I was on able to find a red double filament bulb. In too years I had never been stooped but was glad when I found they came out with a bright red diode bulb.Today I found a socket at Oreilly Auto Parts. If you go to there site and look at there search box, type in #85860 and you will a suitable socket with no other modifications. It has fingers that can be adjusted to the opening. It also has a terminal for a ground wire if necessary.No other wiring is necessary. The diode bulbs are a little pricey but worth it. Howard
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks for that socket info Howard. I see that the socket, and part #, is a Dorman product, so I ahould be able to find it locally..

I take it that you now have red running lights and bright red turn signals. Or did you somehow manage to find an 1157 LED which emits both red and amber light? I did locate amber 1157 LED bulbs at Pep Boys @ $20/pair. Plus another $10 for load resistors to 'modulate' the flash frequency. I'll have to go back to see if they have red 1157 LEDs.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Both turn signal and brake lights are the same red dual filament LED bulb.No load resistor is required. The LED use less amps and blink faster and receive more attention. Oreillys also have the LED bulbs.  See what they would charge to ship both or find the nearest location.  Howard

p.s. Pep Boys might have both items.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Howard, Thanks for your input on the running light conversion.

I located a suitable dual pin socket on eBay here: http://stores.ebay.com/CamZoom-Mall?_trksid=p2047675.l2563. As you can see it is almost the same configuration as the OEM single pin socket but it does require a bit of trimming of the locater nubs to fit the turn signal housing. I used a pair of red 1157 bulbs which seem alright but I'm probably going to go with those Pilot brand 1157 LEDs because they'll be much brighter as running lights during daylight hours and significantly brighter as turn signals.

That the sockets were ~$7/pair with free shipping was a real bargain. The red 1157 bulbs were $6/pair vs $20/pair for the LEDs. I suspect that I'll also add load resistors to the circuit too so that the turn signal flash rate returns to 'normal' when I change to LEDs.

Great idea. Thanks again.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: Turn signal / Running lights    Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 8:08 pm

No problem Tim. I actually like that the lights blink faster with out the resistor,it seams to really to get there attention.I think you will be amazed on how bright the LED's are. Howard
Back to top Go down
kupid
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2020-01-01

PostSubject: E-bay   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Howard, Thanks for your input on the running light conversion.

I located a suitable dual pin socket on eBay here: http://stores.ebay.com/CamZoom-Mall?_trksid=p2047675.l2563. As you can see it is almost the same configuration as the OEM single pin socket but it does require a bit of trimming of the locater nubs to fit the turn signal housing. I used a pair of red 1157 bulbs which seem alright but I'm probably going to go with those Pilot brand 1157 LEDs because they'll be much brighter as running lights during daylight hours and significantly brighter as turn signals.

That the sockets were ~$7/pair with free shipping was a real bargain. The red 1157 bulbs were $6/pair vs $20/pair for the LEDs. I suspect that I'll also add load resistors to the circuit too so that the turn signal flash rate returns to 'normal' when I change to LEDs.

Thanks Tim for the info for ebay sockets, I ordered a pair an have one installed. Seems to blink a little fast but I think it will be ok. kupid
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Hyper flashing turn signals? Have you converted to LED bulbs? If so then you’ll need to add load resistors to the turn signal wiring to slow that hyper flashing down to a normal rate.
Back to top Go down
kupid
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Hyper flashing turn signal   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hyper flashing turn signals? Have you converted to LED bulbs? If so then you’ll need to add load resistors to the turn signal wiring to slow that hyper flashing down to a normal rate.

Yes I have converted to Leds so what sort of load resistor do I need to get and is there a certain number I should order?
Thanks Tim for all your help
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 2:44 pm

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-6-Ohm-Resistors-Signal-Problem/dp/B008BLXQRY

You can probably find these at your local Auto Supply retailer too.

One side connects to the turn signal wire, the other side to the ground wire.
Back to top Go down
kupid
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: 6 ohm resister   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Thanks Cosmic-Jumper for the update and your time
Back to top Go down
kupid
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: 6 ohm Resister's   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Cosmic_Jumper
short note to let you know I have installed the 6-ohm Resistors  for my turn signals and what a big difference they made. Went form blinky blinky to regular flash. Thanks again kupid
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

PostSubject: LED BRAKE/RUNNING LIGHTS   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 11:57 am

The first thing I did with my Swing, was to replace the brake/running lights with stronger LED lights. It was a simple operation - the new globes fit into the standard sockets. It is a cost-effective way to improve visibility. Turn signal / Running lights Rear_b10

I have a small video showing the difference it makes, but I do not know how to post it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turn signal / Running lights   Turn signal / Running lights I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turn signal / Running lights
Page 1 of 1