Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Roadside assistance in US

Go down 
+7
dspevack
Deno070
Cosmic_Jumper
Pastor Ron
oldgwingguy
CathyN
masontx
11 posters
AuthorMessage
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

Roadside assistance in US Empty
PostSubject: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 4:29 am

Didn't find it in a search for roadside assistance, so thought I would ask. My wife is concerned about me going off on trips on my Silver wing, and wants me to get a roadside assistance policy like AAA. What is the recommended company for motorcycle/scooter roadside assistance/towing? Thanks for your recommendations.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 7:10 am

We have AAA plus. Which covers motorcycles and RV's what is nice is it covers you. Not the vehicle you are in. So if you are renting or riding with someone else you are covered.

I find AAA has a large network of choices. Bob's bike broke down a few years ago on the top of Smokey Mt NP on a Friday evening. The closest BMW dealer was a 100 miles away in Chatanooga. We needed to be back to work that following Monday. We rented a truck from Penske the next day put the bikes in it and driove home to Chicago. AAA picked up the rental tab. We had to pay for the gas.

The AAA plus tows up to 200 miles. We have used it a number of times with all our vehicles. Our daughter is also an associate member.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:19 am

Join GWRRA, no kidding, you get localized towing free with the membership and the long distance towing with a few bucks extra, I kept my membership just for this as it's about half what AAA cost and they use the same towing companies.
Let me correct some of the AAA, seems that in some big metro areas they may have some of their own vehicles.
The vast majority of AAA clubs have "AAA" as part of their name, although the two largest AAA clubs by membership do not: the Automobile Club of Southern California and Auto Club South.
From the standpoint of the consumer, AAA clubs primarily provide emergency road services to members. These services, which include towing, lockouts, winching, tire changes, automotive first aid, battery replacement, and others, are handled by private local towing companies contracted by a state AAA club. AAA sells roadside assistance for a variety of motor vehicles, including motorcycles. In some areas, AAA also offers bicycle roadside assistance. Many AAA clubs have an automotive fleet division serving large metro areas, while private towing companies cover the surplus call volume by area.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 9:12 am

I went on the site and it stated " this membership is for the person who owns a Gold Wing or Valkyrie motorcycle and pays the annual membership fee of $45 for one year."
Did I miss something to allow Silver Wings?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 9:25 am

Inquiring minds want to know: Cost v. Benefit

So the GWRRA has free "localized" towing (to a Honda shop?), while AAA-Plus has 200 mile towing. In Cathy's experience --I'm assuming this part-- their AAA-Plus service towed the bike off the mountain, possibly 100 miles away to the closest BMW dealer, but maybe just back to the motel (at Bob's option), then picked up the tab (less fuel cost) for a rental truck to cart their bikes ~400 back home where the bike could be serviced in more familiar environs.

So which is the better bargain? AAA-Plus is pricey, but what does a GWRRA membership cost?

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 10:05 am

GWRRA Membership Programs: Individual Membership: For individual Members only, this membership is for the person who owns a Gold Wing or Valkyrie motorcycle and pays the annual membership fee of $45 for one year, $85 for two years and $120 for three years. Family Membership available. NOTE TWO THINGS, one no longer needs to own a Wing nor Valk to be a member, the other it's 35 bucks more for the increased towing package towing doesn't have to be to a Honda shop. One handy thing one gets is the Gold Book a book listing all members who will offer varying degrees of help from a phone call to lodging / mechanical help and in some cases hauling a bike. Choices is what I was offering, in my 25 years with them I used it once, a member provided a battery charger other than that the wings never let me down. Members have camped at our place and I've lead a good deal of tours in our area.
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 1:22 pm

I have Progressive Insurance they cover motorcycle towing.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Hondacare also has a roadside assistance program.
Could not talk about value difference but obviously they are motorcycle focused.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 4:54 pm

I have Foremost Motorcycle Insurance and it covers towing and related expenses. Sold thru AARP
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 6:16 pm

We were towed 40 miles to the house we were renting. In Knoxville. I have Foremost also, Bob has BMW roadside. What I like about AAA is that it covers the person and whatever vehicle they are in. We have used this several times over the years. Not ito mention the other benefits you receive. It all depends on what your individual needs are and what works best for you.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 7:24 pm

I have AAA for my cars, but didn't think I needed the motorcycle coverage as well since I had it with Foremost.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 8:41 am

I have roadside assistance for another year on my Silver Wing through Honda.  But in addition I have AAA+ for all other bikes and vehicles.  Great program but pricey.  I am looking at Good Sam RV coverage too.  Much cheaper and supposedly covers all vehicles too.

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/

Last edited by GHM-PM on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 am

Pricey is right! Just called to sign up and found out I would have to pay $47.50 for basic coverage plus $48 for the scooter to be added. $97.50 is too much. It would maybe be ok if I wasn't covered in my car already by my insurance company, but unfortunately they don't cover scooters/mc. Guess I'll look into GWAA when I get back from my trip.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Join The American Motorcycle Association with automatic renews and you get Towing service. Service is good for every vehicle in your household. Membership is $49 a year. Comes with American Motorcyclist Magazine and a lot of Motorcycle related discounts.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 6:52 pm

Good/Best carry tools that may help you out of situation

Tire repair kit/pump of some sort Spare Belt by all means.....then I would use the tow service on my insurance.

In Helix days Honda Riders Club used to provide towing and delay assistance, which was great...in US.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roadside assistance in US   Roadside assistance in US I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roadside assistance in US
Page 1 of 1