Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Strut too strong?

Go down 
+6
Meldrew
hotwings
MikeO
exavid
Cosmic_Jumper
new7man
10 posters
AuthorMessage
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-08-05

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm making a change to my S'wing. But I need to know if a 60 lb strut is too strong? I was looking at 40 lb'ers but hard to find in the size needed. Saw a mod on youtube that I want to try making the seat automatic with remote but not sure how much pressure I need and the guy on youtube just showed the finished mod with no explanation or steps in between. Tried contacting him on FB but no reply.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 6:09 pm

I have an aftermarket strut support on my seat. It's rated at 20kg. It's more powerful than the OEM strut.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 12:48 am

Seems to me that a 40 or 60 pound strut would be asking for damage to the seat pan and lower attachment.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 2:56 am

Might be useful for someone with the Utopia Backrest fitted on a Silverwing.
I say 'might be'. Wink
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 5:04 am

I used an aftermarket strut rated at a claimed 28lbs from eBay. It opens the seat perfectly, turn the key, open slightly and the strut opens the rest of the way. I would think a 60lb strut would be extreme and have the potential to damage the mounts. I also saw the YouTube video of the remote seat, looks cool, was gonna try to make my own but like a lot of things never got around to it yet. For the release you could use a car power lock actuator with remote. I saw one at our local auto surplus store for cheap.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 5:30 am

I find it really weird the OP buys a 2012 Silver Wing with 400 miles on the clock and a priority mod is to change the seat strut. Changing the useless OE windscreen for an Airflow, fitting a bit of Givi kit, mirror extenders, all stuff to make riding more pleasurable I can understand.

I doubt a remote opening seat is going to wow the other riders in the doughnut shop car park.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 7:12 am

As I enjoy my SilverWing with the seat closed, which means being ridden, I could care less about opening it with a remote.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 8:17 am

Meldrew wrote:

I doubt a remote opening seat is going to wow the other riders in the doughnut shop car park.

It would wow me Shocked but im the kind of guy who can stare with amazement for hours at an LED light. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 1:35 pm

I could see the idea of a remote seat release being fun but one would have to have a shut off switch when not using it because the receiver that operates the release would be on all the time and could drain the small battery if the bike sat a couple days or so. Not a problem with autos so much since they have much larger batteries though modern cars batteries will fail after a period of time due to the drain of remote receivers, radio setting and keep alive circuits for the clock etc.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Strut too strong?    Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 1:38 am

As the saying goes. what ever floats your boat.I have several friends with Suzuki Burgman 650 with remote seat activation and they do not seam to have a problem with parasitic draw.
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 2:10 am

If seat struts and remote seat opening are so fascinating why buy a Silver Wing? Hardcore seat strut fetishists love the French made Peugeot Satelis 500 scooter which has remote seat opening as standard and the latest Kymco Xciting 400i ABS has not one but two seat struts.
Back to top Go down
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-08-05

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: "Wow-ing" is what you must be about   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 9:50 am

Meldrew wrote:
I find it really weird the OP buys a 2012 Silver Wing with 400 miles on the clock and a priority mod is to change the seat strut. Changing the useless OE windscreen for an Airflow, fitting a bit of Givi kit, mirror extenders, all stuff to make riding more pleasurable I can understand.

Well, this response almost made me quit this forum soon after I started because I hate rude idiotic uninformed superfluous comments. But anyway, I reported it and I'm happy to report that I finished the mod to my seat and it works like a charm. I'm not into doing things to impress anyone so I just post this in case anyone in the future wants to know the steps that I used as I found it necessary to consult a few places online but nothing was specific to Silverwing installation. I had some trial and error but in the end it all worked out. Inspite of ...well y'know...THIS guy.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Well y'know 'THIS guy' is still wondering what exactly was rude, idiotic, uninformed, and superfluous about my comments. So you've now got a remote opening seat, and it's taken you over 7 months to reply rather sulkily to my comments.

Have you also fitted anything at all 'remotely' Rolling Eyes useful in that time, like an Airflow, wind deflectors, Givi kit, sat nav/GPS etc, you know useful stuff that actually adds something to the riding experience.

If you've spent months reinventing the wheel, working on something that a simple turn of the key does on countless maxi scooters worldwide then I'm...   scratch

Good forum etiquette is having a go at the post not the poster, and the use of upper case letters is also bad form, it's online shouting.

I will bid you goodnight sir.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Hey! Everyone has a different tack on their ride. I like mods and accessories. That doesn't mean I don't like riding, but in Illinois I can't ride year round. So, in the winter, I add things to my Swing that I think improves safety or comfort. When I was flying, a lot of the guys I flew with liked building as much as flying. Not really my preference, but hey!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Come guys !! Let's get along. It is a cool mod you did and thanks for posting it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Sponsored content

Strut too strong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strut too strong?   Strut too strong? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strut too strong?
Page 1 of 1