Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial

Go down 
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial Empty
PostSubject: Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial   Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks Jeff. I used your tutorial/pictorial to change my drive belt this morning. Also used the manual, of course. I ran into two bits of trouble.

First, one of the allen bolts holding on the rear cover portion was pretty well frozen, and got stripped, so I ended up having to drill out a hole in the head so I could stick something in there to turn the bolt. This worked out fine.

Second, when I put the outer variator plate back on, I didn't set it quite right over the spline. I found this out after I'd tightened the bolt and started the engine. NOT the sound I was looking for! OOPS!. Took it off again and made sure it was set over the spline correctly. Tightened it back up and got that beautiful purrr a nicely running Swing gives out. Haven't ridden the bike yet, but it all looks and sounds right now.

I was surprised, I guess, to see that the old belt looks pretty newish as far as I can see (14,500 miles - changed now before my upcoming tour). There was a bunch of black dust in the variator, around the rollers, either from normal use or from the time last winter when I got stuck in the mud and smoke was coming out of the rear end (?). I don't know if that was the belt burning, or the clutch, or what. Anyway, I'll keep it handy for a spare. It looks like it has many more miles left in it.

Thanks again. Great tutorial.
Back to top Go down

Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial   Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:09 pm

I had mine changed today at the shop. They charged me 75 dollars to put it on and for me it was worth it. I had them keep the old belt for me and it still looks pretty good. The outer part of the belt looks like it has more wear than the inside. I had 16100 miles on it. I guess the wear on the outside comes from some stretching and the belt slapping or rubbing on the case. Not sure. I do know that it was vibrating or shuddering when I would take off or really hit the throttle. Now is is smooth as can be and it is very responsive. Put a K&N air filter on it also.Smile
Back to top Go down

Thanks JeffR For The Belt Pictorial
Page 1 of 1