Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS

Go down 
+8
hotwings
"Hi Yo"
JeffR
Greysilver
john grinsel
model28a
phils a winger
SteveSilverWing
12 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS Empty
PostSubject: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm Steve and I am new to riding such a large scooter. I am excited as all hell (however hell works) and can't wait to starting riding it home.  It will be a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS that has 3 miles on it, so it is really new.  I'll be buying it from a dealership in the Los Angeles area.

The dealership is asking $6,500 for this new scooter and I'm wonder what you all might think of that price.  Any recommendations or a good price to start at when negotiating?

I've read several great posts from many of you and really appreciate learning all I can about the Silver Wing.  I've been riding a 150cc scooter locally where I live in North Hollywood for the past two years.  Need I say much more.

I know that riding up to a 582 cc Silver Wing will be quite a step upward and can hardly wait.  Any comments or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for anything you might have to contribute.

Steve
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:50 pm

the 600 can be a pussycat or a tiger, small amount of throttle wont get you into trouble, grab a handfull and hang on ! It's really a matter of getting used to it, it's heavier than your 150 but once rolling you'll not notice. Comfort wise, very, mine has a standard screen and an extender which does the same job as the large givi's or so i think. Learn to love it and treat it with respect, you'll be fine
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:15 pm

welcome Welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the web Steve. You're going to really enjoy the upgrade to the Silverwing. If you're getting the full warranty with your new scooter I think you stole it. A brand new one(if they still had new ones) would list for almost ten grand.
I moved your post to the Introductions section, I hope you don't mind I just figured it is an introduction. Wink  

If you are looking forward to learning and plan on doing your own maintenance you'll find you can do anything you need or want with the service manual and help from this forum.
I add the paragraph below for most new members because there's a lot of information in the links and may save you some work.
Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:34 pm

No problem at all, Roger, for moving my post to the introduction. I'm still learning how to use the forum -- it's my first ever, so any guidance is welcome with a smile.

I know that when I first joined the forum, I had posted an introduction, but that was over one week ago. Does one have to introduce each time you login?

Steve
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:58 pm

No one introduction is plenty. Smile  We've had a lot of new members join lately and my memory's not as good as it once was. Embarassed Your post above was more informative than a lot of peoples introductions. Wink I'll move this topic back out of introductions for you I guess Silverwing topics will be fine since you are asking for recommendations.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 5:41 pm

$6500 good price------Stock windshield sucks, purchase maint./shop manual/ ride it rather than talk about it===they ride well, do not seem to break often, I am my second new SilverWing and plan to ride my 2013 leftover out to 50,000 miles. (has approx. 25,000 now) Expenses for me, Honda OEM drive belts (Honda says 16,000 miles----I stretch it to 20,000 miles----tires, 10,000 rear, front up to 25,000 miles.WalMart 10-40 oil------As Maxi scooter market dead in US, it seems to be as up to date as anything available. Remember it is heavy//big, linked brakes/throttle tip in can get you in trouble.

Mine only go to dealer for warranty work....if needed, rest including tires I do myself

Givi rack and box work fine (MonoKey in my case)....but heavy rear box does have affect on low speed handling.

For 50,000 mile service life with me, I will not adjust valves, not worry about air cleaner, hope OEM plugs make it, Brake pads??----mpg = 55 on long trips, reg. Bike has been as far as Alaska. Since bike is in daily use, original battery should make the time with me.

Your lucky starting with fresh machine----screw ups with it will be yours...not correctin mistakes of others.

Have fun
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 10:58 pm

deal if you can but 65 is a goodstart. I sure like mine, WS does need changeing out. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Good news for the purchase.  I bought it, but the price was more than was stated though still a good deal for a brand new 2013 Silver Wing ABS with only 3 miles on it.  ($8,150 out the door registration and all including the 1-year warranty.)  

Would you say that I should have purchased the extended warranty...I'm strapped for cash and had to scrape up what I did to make it all happen.  I'm expecting to maintain it regularly, and hope things won't wear out or break down very quickly.

The bike runs great and I am so happy to be riding it.  Went out today for my first ride on a Los Angeles freeway, a place I am very familiar with and comfortable driving in a car.  What a trip!!

After buying the bike yesterday (Saturday), I rode home on surface streets in the rain.  The ride took me a good 3 hours starting at the dealership in Costa Mesa and ending in North Hollywood in the San Fernando Valley.  The thing rode great and I really enjoyed it, even if it was raining a good part of the time.  Considering my last scooter was a problematic 150cc (won't say where it was made), the step up was intimidating but got used to it in no time and love it.

So happy to be a member of this forum.  I look forward to learning more about my black Swing from all of you.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Steve,

Congrats on your new SWing and I wouldn't worry about the extended warranty. These things are bullet proof. You should have no problems at all with it. I bet is was much nicer than the 150cc scooter you had. The SWing does great on the interstate and you won't have to follow anyone if you don't want. Congrats.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 12:28 am

applause Congratulations Steve I'm glad you got your new Silverwing home. I wouldn't lose any sleep over warranties. I don't remember hearing people brag about problems solved by a warranty. What you'll be losing sleep over is thinking about tomorrows ride on your Silverwing. I hope you don't still work because that'll mean you'll be losing sleep all week waiting for the weekend to get here so you can go for a long ride out away from the city. You can complete the 600 mile breakin in two or three days without a problem. I did just that two months ago in two and a half weekends.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 am

cheers Congratulations! cheers Riding the L.A. freeways; you are the man! :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 6:39 am

Congrats on the new swing. Nice that its the black one- everyone knows its the fastest colour. As stated above don't worry about extended warranties. The bike is bulletproof so you can beat on it like its a red headed step son. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were at the Honda dealer in Watertown NY looking and dreaming about all the different models of shiny new bikes. There was a 2013 silver wing there, unused, i think the pricetag was around $9500! So i guess your price is still ok.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 am

Congrats Steve on your new SW. I used to work in Costa Mesa and lived in Newport Beach close to Balboa Island. Visited that area several years ago after being away for 40 years and I hardly recognized it. I've got fond memories riding the Coast Highway on my Honda 305 Scrambler back in the late 60's. As for riding the freeways there, Deb and I rode 2up from San Diego to Huntington Beach on our Burgman 400 and had no problems. Forgot about the fog rolling in at late afternoon and didn't have extra layers and froze our fannies off. Don't know if you've been up to Julian from San Diego up in the mountains. They've got the best apple pie and really cool twisties up the mountain. You ought to do a day ride down there.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:28 am

chickendance do the happy dance and congrats on the new scoot. The biggest getting used to for me on mine are the brakes, rode a Wing before and with the same braking set up from the hydraulics to the pads the scoot REALLY stops quickly.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:47 am

Same here, moved from a GL 1500. Don't miss all the weight of the Goldwing and the carbs. Spent too much money on carb work. Funny, my first GW was an 85 LTD with fuel injection, the only year it was offered until the GL 1800 in 2001.I will never go back to a carb bike.
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Congrats - Purchased a new 2012 last year. $7,000 OTD in Dallas. Love the thing. Sold my 650 VStrom and kept the SWing. Also have a little Honda CB500x but ride the SWing mostly. Smooth on the highway and a nice commuter. Doesn't seem heavy at all.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Congratulations Steve on the purchase! You will have much enjoyment. AS to the extended warranty, I bought the additional 5 years, ONLY because my sales manager gave it to me for 400 bucks. Couldn't resist. That said, in almost three years and 16K I have used it 0 times!!!
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your support and all the congratulations! Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS   Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Purchasing a new 2013 Silver Wing ABS
Page 1 of 1