Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing for beginning rider?

Go down 
+6
honda_silver
masscoot
tankyuong
matthew
dspevack
rkrispie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
rkrispie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Silverwing for beginning rider? Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Have taken MSF course. Dream ride is Silverwing. Hubby (who doesn't ride) bought me 2004 SW with 5K miles on it for $3700. Had it checked out and it is perfect. I am about 5'3, 140 pounds. Is this ok for me to start out on riding on? Am I better off hanging onto it since I do want it and getting a smaller scooter until I have had more experience? THANKS!
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 pm

I think your main problem is going to be height.
Most 5'3 people cannot flatfoot the Silverwing.
You take a close look here and on silverwing.org at what people have done to their seats to lower their riding height, and also look for some thick soled boots to add to your height.
See if your dealer has a way to lower the suspension too.

Once you can flatfoot the bike, there is no reason it can't be your first bike.
If you want to practice on something else, I simply recommend that you rent a smaller scooter and just get take it out for the day. No need to spend money buying a smaller scooter as you will feel comfortable enough to ride your wing quickly.

A dream ride in theory, is a nightmare in reality if you are simply too small to maintain control of the bike. I'm not saying that you are. That's for you to decide. That said....Better to be realistic, than dead.
Back to top Go down
rkrispie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:50 pm

THANKS dspevack! I sat on one at a dealer with my boots on and could actually flat foot so thought it would be ok. Also they talked to me about how to have the seat adjusted lower. I really appreciate your thoughts and confidence and idea about the one-day rental. I had thought of that too! Your picture is great. Again, appreciate your reply very much.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 pm

I guess I'll take a little bit different point of view, just based on my own experience. I bought my first scoot - and first motorbike of any kind - over two years ago now, at the ripe age of 60. I started out with a 150, even though the dealer thought a 250 would serve my needs better, because I sat on and felt the heft of the 250 and it just felt too heavy - "too much machine" - for me. You may be a lot younger, and maybe stronger, who knows, though I'm not a weakling by any means.

I knew within a month or so that I wanted a bigger bike, so I moved up to the 250 shortly after that. I actually took the MSF course on my 150, and that was great. Within a few more months I knew I wanted an even bigger bike, one that would be truly worthy of touring, and after I blew the engine on my 250 trying to use it like a highway bike, I went to the swing.

My point is that it took me a while to grow into the swing, even with the MSF course, and lots of longer distance riding on the two previous bikes (longer as in a couple hundred miles at a time, rather than 5 or 10 or even 50). This is only my experience mind you, but I suspect I'm not alone in it. The Silver Wing is a big bike, don't kid yourself, and I think it takes a while to build up to feeling really comfortable and skilled at handling this size bike.

It'll only take one spill for you to understand what I mean. And I don't in any way agree that a one day rental of a smaller scoot is gonna give you either the skill or the comfort level that this bike requires (in my humble opinion).

By all means keep the Swing, since this is your dream ride. You might also want to consider though getting some real experience on smaller bikes as well. For what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 pm

When you flat footed the bike, were you sitting comfortably or did you have to scooch forward or even off the seat to do so.
I am 5'6 and I am on my tip toes unless I have a thick soled boot on, so somthing doesn't sound right.

I honestly mean no offense when I say this:
When I think of 5'3 and 140lbs, I think of a fairly heavyset, short woman with short legs and thick thighs. I say this because thick thighs tend to spread your legs farther apart and put more meat between you and having legs go straight down when they are on either side of the seat.

Maybe that isn't you. Maybe you are built with long thin legs and a short muscular torso. I dunno.

But if you are built as I think you are, you probably have at least 3 inch thick boot soles to even come close, and I hope they are solid rather than high heeled boots because heels won't give you the ankle support necessary to heft the weight of the scooter.

I really am not trying to be mean, but if you aren't flatfooting in a comfortably seated position, you aren't flatfooting, and something doesn't sound right.

In any case, good luck. Also, what size and type bike did you take your MSF course on?

Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:10 pm

dspevack wrote:
When you flat footed the bike, were you sitting comfortably or did you have to scooch forward or even off the seat to do so.
I am 5'6 and I am on my tip toes unless I have a thick soled boot on, so somthing doesn't sound right.

I honestly mean no offense when I say this:
When I think of 5'3 and 140lbs, I think of a fairly heavyset, short woman with short legs and thick thighs. I say this because thick thighs tend to spread your legs farther apart and put more meat between you and having legs go straight down when they are on either side of the seat.

Maybe that isn't you. Maybe you are built with long thin legs and a short muscular torso. I dunno.

But if you are built as I think you are, you must have at least 3 inch thick boot soles to even come close, and I hope they are solid rather than high heeled boots because heels won't give you the ankle support necessary to heft the weight of the scooter.

I really am not trying to be mean, but if you aren't flatfooting in a comfortably seated position, you aren't flatfooting, and something doesn't sound right.

In any case, good luck. Also, what size and type bike did you take your MSF course on?

Dan
Embarassed Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm

I am 5'3' and weigh more than you, so I don't believe you will have any problem with it. Just remember that this is an automatic scooter and that the left lever is not a Clutch Lever, but a brake lever. Take your time getting use to it on back roads where there is less traffic to deal with or in an empty parking lot.
Depending on where I sit at on the seat dictates whether or not I'm flat footed . I'm comfortable with it one way or the other, but my primary ride is an 06 ST1300 and I've been riding for 11 years, so that does make a difference.
Stay safe and enjoy your new ride!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 am

The Swing was my first bike as well. I got it last year, right after I took the MSF course. I've now put over 10,000 miles on it. It was alot of bike to start with, but I drove it around the neighborhood for a while, at least two weeks, until I felt comfortable enough to go more than 30 miles per hour. I am two inches taller than you and weigh a bit more, but I can flatfoot the scoot barefoot (not that I ride that way!), so I think you'll be fine. Just take your time getting used to it.

Beware though...I dropped it standing still once or twice, and there is no way I could lift it myself. You need to get used to the balance of the scoot when you get on it.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 am

I agree with Dan on this, and Debbie is correct also. I'm 5'4" and cannot completly flat-foot the SW, but even as Deb admits I also must scootch forward to do so. Finding the correct boots is going to help you the most, the only way I know how to lower the SW is to reduce the pre-load on the rear shocks to #2 or #3 (to me that causes too squishy of a ride. I ride at #4). It is your dream ride so your determination will help you through getting used to the bike. Matt says it well, "The Silver Wing is a big bike, don't kid yourself, and I think it takes a while to build up to feeling really comfortable and skilled at handling this size bike. It'll only take one spill for you to understand what I mean."

Many of us have laid down the SW and in my case it was in the very early days of ownership when I simply misjudged the weight and the angle I was at (both times a 0 mph)Embarassed

Good luck with your new scoot, you will be pleased that you chose the SW.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 am

rkrispie wrote:
I sat on one at a dealer with my boots on and could actually flat foot so thought it would be ok.

It does help that you can flat foot.

Dan asked a great question .... did you have to shift on the seat to be able to flat foot??

Another important step though it may require more time and practice with the SWing ... were you able to flat foot and push the SWing backwards and still have good foot contact.

Once in awhile I put my foot down and there could be a loose pebble or slick tar snake/surface that causes me to reposition my footing after my foot contacts the ground. I have even run into some surfaces that my vibram soles just kept sliding even though there was nothing visible ... so the best foot position was were I could flat foot best and put the MOST weight on to prevent the slipping.

I am not saying this to scare you ... the lessons to learn are

- very important to check where you are stopping and putting your foot down and still prepare for some foot adjustments (practice helps)
- maneuvering backwards with full control with small steps to remain with as much control as possible (again practice helps)
- be able to "feel" unexpected surface slickness and adjust without losing control.

rkrispie wrote:
Also they talked to me
about how to have the seat adjusted lower.

This modification is very popular for a lot of people to help or need to achieve better foot control.
Back to top Go down
rkrispie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:51 am

I really appreciate all the comments and I am glad people are giving their honest opinions. I was sitting comfortably when flat footing and did this on a 2009 at the dealership where they thought it would work and felt comfortable with me on it (but then they probably wanted me to buy one). Also I think the 2004 is slightly lower (maybe 1/2 inch) than the 2009. My legs and thighs are thin so I wouldn't say I have short legs and thick thighs and maybe that helps. In the MSF class the instructors and other students said to make sure whatever bike you got was at least 500 cc or you'd be wasting your time/money. I guess that's where I got the idea this would be ok and translate to a scooter. I know this is a big one and will take some getting used to. I live in Madison WI just west of the UW campus and hate what I call the "gnats" the students drive that can't even begin to keep up with traffic let alone have enough power to get out of a dangerous situation, and that is why I knew I wanted a bigger one. I have also spent time touring with a friend on a goldwing and love the touring aspect. We have many, many beautiful back roads and rides very very close to here. My hope is that once I get it I can just play for as long as I want on the quiet residential streets that I can ride for about 7 miles along the lakeshore and its neighborhoods and never even cross a really busy street until I am comfortable. Down at UW (also accessible to me by quiet residential roads) are some very large parking lots that are empty on weekends and would be good for just riding around in.

Please continue to comment. I appreciate all the opinions. I know you are just trying to remind me to be safe. The MSF class also stresses that and I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't taken it. THANKS ALL.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 am

Bill was mentioning foot placement as you stop. Please be aware of "Road Crown" That is the curve that makes the center of a road high and the shoulders low. It is done to move the water off the road, and is especially common in downtown areas where there is a lot of gutters on the sides of the road.
Putting your foot down on the side toward the center of the road (usually the left foot, in the USA, but on a one-way street it could be the opposite) could be alot closer to the ground than the right foot, so its easy to misjudge and could cause you to topple if you put your foot down on the low side.
The lighter side is if you are putting your foot down, you are at a standstill anyway.
If you make a point of putting your foot down on the high side of the road every time, you will be more stable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 am

Hey, there, I am in Milwaukee. I was just in Madison on Sunday when I rode with my local scooter group to the House on the Rock.

In my opinion, SW is not a perfect first bike. While it is much much better to start riding on than say Gold Wing or ST1300, it is still heavy and difficult to ride at low speed without experience.

Here is how it happened with me. I got 50cc Yamaha scooter as a birthday gift last year. Nice, light scooter that pretty much got me into riding. I have never rode anything on 2 wheel other than a bicycle before. So, a few months later, I took a MSF course (because I was ready for something bigger), got my license and I bought Reflex (250cc) the same day. I rode Reflex for a few months last year and a few months this year before I traded it in for a SW this June. The transition from Reflex was not easy because SW is much heavier and got a lot more power.

I am 5'6" and I could only flat-foot SW if I scoot forward a little bit. I have no idea how you could do that with your height. Obviously, your legs are much longer (gotta be a good thing, I think Smile ). If you can afford to do so I'd buy an older 250cc scooter (stick with Honda or Yamaha, Reflex, Helix, etc) to start riding on. The good news is that you could get them pretty cheap and you should have no problem selling it once you're ready for SW without losing too much money.

Just my opinion. Miro.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 pm

Miro wrote:
In my opinion, SW is not a perfect first bike. While it is much much better to start riding on than say Gold Wing or ST1300, it is still heavy and difficult to ride at low speed without experience.

Other than a moped over 30 years ago a lot of bicycling ... SWing was my first motorcycle. I did not want to waste money with upgrading scooters.

If the driver is able to handle the

1) height ( ability to flat foot)
2) weight ( not bench press - but ability to drive/maneuvre)
3) slow speed ( slowly acclimating roads driven, techniques and skills) which is done by practicing, practicing and practicing

If the driver is able to handle the first two ... the last one can be done if they take enough time/caution and do not exceed your skills/ability.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1017

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:09 pm

I personally have to agree with honda-silver in that flat footing is really one of the prime requirements for this bike. At 5'-3" I'm astonished (but happy for you) that you can do that. I'm 5'-8" and it helps me if I slide forward just a bit at the stops.

All that aside though; I just want to mention that, same as Bill, the SWing was my first 'motorized two wheel vehicle' (ever in my case) and at the age of 63 and even with the MSF course, thought I was taking quite a chance. However, after taking my time (about a year) on the country back byways and practicing in a school parking lot a few times, I was well on my way to tackling the general public (which in itself has been even more of an education).

There was a guy on one of these forums (a Mr. Joe Black, I think it was) who called me a "moron" for advising a person to take the SWing as their first bike but as you've read so far, it can certainly and safely be done. Just take your time, use common sense, and has been iterated previously: practice, practice, practice. Good Luck and Have Fun!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:34 pm

From all the good advice you are getting I think you will do fine.
I would like to add something that I should of before. I did not start out on a Silverwing. After I took the MSF course I rode my husband's 250 Helix for a few weeks. His idea, which I was grateful for, because I was a little intimidated by this new experience. My commute was mainly country roads with very little traffic. After that I bought a 250 Honda Rebel that I rode for 6 months then decided that I wanted and needed something bigger. So, I traded the Rebel in for a Honda PC800. I loved that bike and rode it for 10 years, purchased the SW as a second bike. Well...................as some here might admit also, I got the itch for something different, hence the ST1300. I miss my PC but am having a new love affair with my ST. My SW still gets ridden by my husband mostly, but I did take it to the mountains about a month ago and had a blast on it. Did take me a few miles to get back in the swing (pun intended) of things with it but it was worth every mile of it.

You sound like you have your head in the right place and will take it easy.

Just be safe and have fun.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 am

I think you could start with the SWing if you are careful and wear thick soled boots, fo you can get a good footing. Like others said, be careful of the crown in the pavement, and also when you stop at intersections to be careful of the larger arrows or the crosswalks that they stick on the pavement. They can be very slick. They are usually those large white mats they melt into the pavement. I almost lost footing a few times in the rain.

But the SWing is only as powerful as the amount of throttle you give it. I would just take it easy on slower roads and maybe even go to a nice large parking lot, like a mall, and practice turning and things. But I would think if you are careful you will have little problems. Good luck and keep us informed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:07 am

I don't think the SW would be difficult to start on, it's not much heavier than the smaller motorcycles a lot of folks learn to ride on and it's easier in that there's no clutch and shifting. The center of gravity on the scooter is a lot lower than on most motorcycles which makes it feel even lighter and easier to handle at low speed.
Back to top Go down
AlanRogers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AlanRogers

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 4:54 am

exavid wrote:
The center of gravity on the scooter is a lot lower than on most motorcycles which makes it feel even lighter and easier to handle at low speed.
In the UK, you can't ride anything bigger than a 125cc until you have a full motorcycle licence, which you must pass on at least 500cc. Even then, you could be restricted to 33bhp until you've got 2 years experience, depending on your age.

The Silverwing is my 4th bike, after a Honda C90, Honda CG125 and Yamaha XJ600S. Of them all, the Silverwing is the easiest to maneuver at low speeds, because of the CoG. Also, linked brakes with ABS is massive bonus in traffic!

Whether the Silverwing is a good first bike or not is down to personal preference. If you love it, you'll put up with all sorts of quirks. However, there's absolutely no substitute to getting familiar with it and learning how it'll behave in situations.

Practice low speed control and tight turns in an empty car park. Practice stopping and getting it on and off the stand. The comment about road crowns, or camber, above is also very useful advice.

I've not dropped mine yet but I've come close a couple of times, once with a pillion. It's all about practice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dreamgenius.net

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:05 am

JeffR wrote:
I think you could start with the SWing if you are careful and wear thick soled boots, so you can get a good footing.

I started with these boots: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/12/103/175/ITEM/River-Road-Womens-Double-Zipper-Field-Boots.aspx. Because the sole is quite thick and heavy, it made me feel alot more secure at stops. Also, they have zippers on both sides, so you don't have to tie and untie them all the time.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing for beginning rider?   Silverwing for beginning rider? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing for beginning rider?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: