Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing

Go down 
+6
crahar
honda_silver
MikeO
Jim Cater
JeffR
DennisB
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 11:29 am

Hi All,
Just finished installing a small storage bag on the Swing. I'm sure this bag will come in handy for sunglasses, light summer gloves, or what ever. I don't know if anyone has installed one like this, in this location. It seems like the perfect bag and place for mounting one. Used 2 corse threaded screws with 2 large fender washers.
I purchased this bag off of Ebay for the amount of $16.00 USD and it can be found online. It's manufactured by company called River Road # 10-7729 (with braid) # 10-8933 (no braid). The dimensions are 8"W x 4"H x 2.5"D The bag is made to be mounted on the handel bars and comes with 2 small straps, I did not use, but will use for other things.
I drilled 2 small holes 1/8" dia, 4.0" apart, centered on the removable plug (or 2" each side from plug center), and determined the location of the 2 holes in the bag by stering clearence requirments and used a small leather hole punch for the 2 holes in the back of the bag, this worked well.

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag110

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag410

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag310

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag610

Ride Safe......Dennis

Last edited by DennisB on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 11:35 am

Dennis,

I like that. I keep putting my glasses in the small glove box and they always end up scratched fairly quick. Look good too where it is mounted. You seem to have your SWing set up nice. Have a Happy New Year.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 2:00 pm

Thank's Jeff,
The SilverWing is a great scooter right off the showroon floor. Adding some small things here and there make it better. I try to keep the price down on the things I add to the Swing and try to keep my eye's open when I'm out and about for things that I can add to it with out breaking the bank. Thank you, your complimant means alot to me.

DennisB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm planning on getting a GPS and see you have that mounted also. Did yours come with a mounting plate? I can't remember since my bike is still at the dealers if it already has a plug to plug that in or do I need to have them add that. I'm still looking for a GPS with a screen large enough that I won't have to fish out my reading glasses to see anything! What a Face
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi Coralee,
Your asking all the big questions. affraid I'll start with your new scooter. In the left glove box Honda has already made a hole for a powerlet (cigarette lighter) installation but it does not come with the hardware, just a rubber plug where it gets installed. Your Honda dealership can install a powerlet for you. They need to use the one that is made for the GoldWing. This will work in this location with minor wiring changes. What I recommend to people after they get their new GPS's is to install a connection off the head lights large white power wire so their new GPS will turn off and on with the key. This type of hardwire installation cable can be bought off ebay for a reasonable price. The new GPS's draw very little power off this connection and it works great.

There are alot of great GPS's on the market at this time and chosing one is not easy. When I looked for a GPS for my new scooter I had a list of things that it needed to have. Good price, water proof, easy to use and see, and be loud enough so I could hear it while on the road. In my experence, all the GPS's have a problem being seen in the day light and that's just the way they all are. Check around on ebay for the best deals and free shipping.

I manufacture a custom GPS SilverWing mount that works pretty well. It uses a 1" diameter RAM mounting ball and will work mounting most type's of GPS's with RAM hardware.

I hope his helps. :D

DennisB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks :D Great info. I'm already starting my list of extras I would like on this new bike. We are off to Florida on Friday and I won't pick the bike up until March. I am counting down the days until the riding season begins. This has been my outlet in life. I missed it so much this fall that I signed up for water color classes to keep me busy!!! :flower:
Back to top Go down
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 pm

The bag is interesting...BUT...I'm more interested in the power outlet below it!! Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Icon_smile
I read the thread about the left glove box but that just doesn't work for me. Are you supposed to ride with GPS capability & have the lid flapping in the wind? Did anyone do this? Did you notch & grommet the lid?

I like the Master's idea about it below the handlebars MUCH better...
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwrra.org
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 am

My solution:

These days I'm reluctant to cut holes in new things and, having given much thought to the problem/solution, came up with this:

I bought one of these to mount on the lid of the LH cubby:

[url=http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_surface_mounted_din_socket_cap/]http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_surface_mounted_din_socket_cap/[/url]

I drilled three holes; two tiny ones for the self-tappers to fix the socket and a larger one through which to feed the wires.

On the end of the wires I fixed a chocolate-block connector and into that more wire attached to a plug which goes into the standard socket inside the cubby.

I made a gasket from gaffer tape and sealed the big hole with silicone sealant. The wires are clipped with self-adhesive cable clips to the underside of the lid.

It looks and works fine and should something unforeseen happen, I have only to replace the lid to bring the bike back to 'normal'.

I'll take some pictures in due course and put them in my album.

Incidentally, I also bought one of these in case I want to charge my phone or ipod in the cubby or plug in a GPS:

[url=http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_twin_lighter_type_socket_adaptor/]http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_twin_lighter_type_socket_adaptor/[/url]

There are pictures in my album.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:53 am

MikeO wrote:
[url=http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_surface_mounted_din_socket_cap/]http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_surface_mounted_din_socket_cap/[/url]

It looks like two things might be missing

1) right before the second "http:" and after the "]" it looks like "[img]" is missing

2) right before "[/url]" it looks like "[/img]" is missing
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am

Strange; both links work for me. Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Icon_eek

This is the one for the socket again -

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_surface_mounted_din_socket_cap/
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:44 am

MikeO wrote:
Strange; both links work for me. Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Icon_eek

This is the one for the socket again -

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_surface_mounted_din_socket_cap/

From the double "http://" which is not normally displayed this way ... I incorrectly thought it was a picture ... it is a link.

I am curious why it was appearing duplicately ... your last post only showed one.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:57 am

I was doing a bit of copying-and-pasting so I probably got confused; I managed to post the message in the wrong thread to start off with. Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Icon_redface

Last edited by MikeO on Mon May 17, 2010 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm

For my 2 meter radio I ran the wires from the battery using a relay (everthing is fused) and ran them up through the handle bars along side the existing harness.Also installed the socket in the left pocket while I had it apart. I've left my options open for adding additional circuits, ran four extra wires which will be terminated later. All extra circuits are controlled by the switch, the only change might be the radio which I might go live all the time, just can't make up my mind.
Craig
Back to top Go down
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 3:49 pm

i bought my Swing 1st of March '10, they now come fitted with this 12 volt socket in left cubby.

just like our revered God of Swing Mods DennisB, i don't like modding the plastics, and i also hate any trailing wires. on recent ride out i went on i was surprised how many had various kit connected in this way with an untidy mess of umbilical wires, some held in place by tacky gaffer tape (i wondered wheres the pride gone?) looked same as WW2 fighter pilots Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Icon_lol . took them several minutes to hook and unhook at each stop, no way to behave for me.

so to feed my phone (which is also my Sat/Nav), i drilled a small hole in the cubby pocket to allow the mini usb car adapter wire to pass into the cavity, i bunged it with clear bathroom sealant to stop any water ingress.

threaded cable up with the loom and to behind the bars cover to my case, which is located like DenisB's centrally on the bars yoke.

i use a BT helmet headset i bought of Ebay for £43 inc postage, similar looking to the Scala Solo but this one works with TT6 on my MDA smart phone, where the Scala versions simply won't, also has a jack for MP3 players not equipped with BT, even has a built in FM radio.

the end result is a very neat near 'wireless' look, with minimal modification to the machines tupperwear or fuss, onlt one plug and i'm done. if i ever wanted to return the scoot to the original condition all i need do is replace the pocket inner, but i doubt if i or anyone would bother.

just an idea (perhaps for another DB of the shelf mod Wink ) there is a small square plate below the ignition switch, i think originally for hazard light switch (why is not one fitted?), i'm thinking might fit a usb jack socket so as to have a plug in charger lead for other kit.

regs
Alan

Last edited by creamcrackered on Sun May 16, 2010 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo's)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 4:14 pm

creamcrackered wrote:
i bought my Swing 1st of March '10, they now come fitted with this 12 volt socket in left cubby.

Not in N. America Sad
Back to top Go down
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 4:46 pm

bigbird wrote:
creamcrackered wrote:

Not in N. America Sad

simple enough to fit one BB.

incidentally the socket is always 'live'

regs
Alan
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:01 am

I wired a socket into the left cubby on my Goldwing always 'hot'. That way if you want to charge your cell phone or some such you can leave it connected in the cubby with he key out. Very handy. I've done the same on my SW which was easier because it had a dedicated place for the socket.
Back to top Go down
creamcrackered
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 3:57 am

exavid wrote:
I wired a socket into the left cubby on my Goldwing always 'hot'. That way if you want to charge your cell phone or some such you can leave it connected in the cubby with he key out. Very handy. I've done the same on my SW which was easier because it had a dedicated place for the socket.

just a quick note,

if you leave you GPS or phone in the locked cubby to charge while going shopping, make sure to switch of the bluetooth.

thieves commonly use their phones to track BT signals from secreted kit before breaking in to cars etc.

be safe

regs
Alan
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:08 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hi All,
Just finished installing a small storage bag on the Swing. I'm sure this bag will come in handy for sunglasses, light summer gloves, or what ever. I don't know if anyone has installed one like this, in this location. It seems like the perfect bag and place for mounting one. Used 2 corse threaded screws with 2 large fender washers.
I purchased this bag off of Ebay for the amount of $16.00 USD and it can be found online. It's manufactured by company called River Road # 10-7729 (with braid) # 10-8933 (no braid). The dimensions are 8"W x 4"H x 2.5"D The bag is made to be mounted on the handel bars and comes with 2 small straps, I did not use, but will use for other things.
I drilled 2 small holes 1/8" dia, 4.0" apart, centered on the removable plug (or 2" each side from plug center), and determined the location of the 2 holes in the bag by stering clearence requirments and used a small leather hole punch for the 2 holes in the back of the bag, this worked well.

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag110

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag410

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag310

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing Bag610

Ride Safe......Dennis
Chase Harper makes a minature (9"?) barrel bag (about 4 - 5" in diameter) available thru Aerostitch rider for about 20 bucks. It would hang quite nicely just below your GPS. If the included straps aren't long enough, simply us a couple Arno straps instead. My bag travels from bike to bike (I own 5).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handy Storage spot for SilverWing   Handy Storage spot for SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handy Storage spot for SilverWing
Page 1 of 1