Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

new to silverwing

Go down 
+4
model28a
"Hi Yo"
JeffR
sandancroy5
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sandancroy5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sandancroy5

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2014-09-27

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 2:14 pm

returned to riding after many years away. 400 burgman for about 3 years and bought the silverwing late last year.loved  the burgman not sure about the silverwing yet.bring on the summer ( in scotland about 1 week) Question
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Welcome to the site and congrats on your SWing. I'm sure you will like it just as much as the Burgman.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
new to silverwing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:11 pm

welcome welcome
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 pm

welcome
sandancroy5 welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the web. I had a used 2005 Burgman 400 type S that I got rid of in 2010 when I bought my first Silverwing. For the last five years I've been more than happy with the change.
Back to top Go down
glencoeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-08-07

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 4:24 am

I also had a Burgman 400 (2005) for a few years. Although a good bike, it did have its failings when it came to maintenance. The Silverwing is easier to maintain and the build quality seems much better. Although cleaned regularly, the Burgman had serious rust on the frame behind the plastics even though the bike was a newish low mileage model. It really was a long job on the Burgman to check valve clearances which are supposed to be done on a regular basis whereas the Silverwing's clearances are only checked every 16,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 am

For all the work involved in checking the valve clearance,most swingers don,t bother until there is a sign of a problem. You can get over 50 k miles or more .The work involved is labour intensive just to get pass the Tupperware.IMO you will no if the problem occurs .Most swing will out last there owners before the valves need's replacing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 7:51 am

Welcome to the forum. The Burgman 400 is very similar to the Silver Wing so you should have no problems!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:40 am

glencoeman wrote:
I also had a Burgman 400 (2005) for a few years. Although a good bike, it did have its failings when it came to maintenance. The Silverwing is easier to maintain and the build quality seems much better. Although cleaned regularly, the Burgman had serious rust on the frame behind the plastics even though the bike was a newish low mileage model. It really was a long  job on the Burgman to check valve clearances which are supposed to be done on a regular basis whereas the Silverwing's clearances are only checked every 16,000 miles.

I had a new 2005 Burgman 400 which I kept until I bought a 650 three years later. It made a fine solo tourer and the only things I'd fault it on were the boring first 500 miles running in period, it's weedy twin 35w headlights and heavy oil consumption on long motorway/autobahn rides. I thought it was just my scoot until I started going on maxi forums and learned "they all do that".

I had no rust or corrosion problems riding it through three winters because I made the effort to hose it down after riding on salted roads, I'd say any problems were down to lazy ownership. The same goes for flaking alloy wheels which I remember some irate owners were expecting Suzuki to replace under Warranty. Again I'd say it was down to the owners doing nothing or just spraying a bit of something on the wheels.

The same winter cleaning regime was used on my 650 Burgman to great effect too although the great lardass lump to a lot more effort to clean, no rust, alloy, or wheel corrosion. I'm going through my fifth winter on the Silver Wing and it's unscathed by rust and corrosion too.

Valve clearances on the 400 were no problem, the local dealer asked me to leave the Burgman with them overnight during Servicing so they could work on a cold engine, and they gave me a bike to ride home on. Since it was usually something like a V-Strom 1000 I didn't mind at all, as I was riding home on good scenic biking roads through Cumbria's Duddon and Whitcham Valleys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new to silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to silverwing   new to silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new to silverwing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: