Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 9:35 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing

Go down 
+6
"Hi Yo"
GHM-PM
JeffR
exavid
hotwings
model28a
10 posters
AuthorMessage
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  Empty
PostSubject: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2015 1:01 am

The local independent dealer I use bought an 08 Silverwing with ABS, mileage unknown and a 05 Burgman 400, mileage I believe less than 5,200 (I have to admit I didn't pay attention) at an out of state dealer auction. He was a little worried because the Burgman wouldn't start and the Silverwing had no power at all. I asked him if the Silverwing came from a dealer and he said it came from a repossession company. I told him I would bet money that the main fuse was all that was wrong with it. I was there when they were delivered today. We pulled the left rear panel and sure enough the main fuse was blown . After putting a new fuse in the Wing started immediately and had 51 miles on it. The only body damage on it was the muffler guard and a small spot on the front cover. He has a muffler guard and the front cover will be no problem for him to repair.  
When he tried to start the Burgman the brake lights didn't work and it wouldn't turn over so he unplugged the brake switch and jumped it and it fired right up too.
So all his worries were for nothing, he got two nice scooters that I believe will make three people very happy. If I didn't already have two Silverwings I would buy the Silverwing.

Last edited by model28a on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I was mistaken on the mileage of the Burgman.)
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2015 3:43 am

What would cause the main fuse to blow, with so few miles?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2015 4:04 pm

hotwings the Silverwing came from a repossession company and it didn't have the OEM keys. The key that came with the scooter isn't the best fit so we are thinking that someone blew the fuse trying to get it started. Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  Dontknow
Today he was able to buff the front cover, the mark was just pant from something else and left no damage to the front cover. He replaced the muffler guard and the scooter looks new.
I sure wish I had the money to buy it to replace my 08 that doesn't have ABS. I know I probably couldn't get much for my 08 with 54,400+ miles or I would sell it and buy his.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2015 10:18 pm

An interesting website for finding damaged bikes and such is Copart. It's a company that buys vehicles, boats and other stuff that's been totaled by insurance companies. It doesn't take much damage to a bike to get it totaled so there are some good deals if you don't mind doing a bit of repair work on your own. They have auctions all over the country. A friend of mine got a good deal on a Toyota sedan and a Honda Magna. Take a look.

http://ww2.copart.com/
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2015 4:17 pm

I was at the independent dealer looking at the 08 Wing today and it got the best of me. I'm going to buy it and put my 08 there on consignment. With over 54,000 miles on my scooter and only 51 miles and ABS on the one at the shop I just had to have it.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2015 5:45 pm

Roger,

Good going. It sounds like you really put the miles on your SWing. 54,000 miles is a good amount. Tell us when you get it and maybe post a pic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2015 11:08 pm

I bought it on January 31 2010. But between the time I broke my leg and the time I was run down by a hit and run driver I've had less than four years riding time on it. I also ride my other scooters too. Still I don't put near the miles that John puts on his scooters.
It's funny that today is January 31 2015 and I bought another 08 Silverwing. I bought my 07 Silverwing in July of 2014 so I wonder if I'll be buying another 07 in July of 2019. Question Question
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 7:33 am

Congratulations on the purchase! I think it is quite a find and hope you enjoy many miles on it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 9:21 pm

Thank you Glenn. I've put over 54,000 miles on my first 08 Wing and enjoyed every mile so I'm sure this one should be the same. I bought the 07 Silverwing in July to get the ABS brakes and figured that would be the last Wing I would want or need. Then I just couldn't pass up this one with such low mileage on it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Update on my "new" 08   Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Yesterday I took a 185 mile ride with my "new" 08 Wing with two club members from our local scooter club. Two of us with SilverWings my 08 and a friends 03. We both filled our gas tanks and reset our trip meters. When we stopped for gas my trip meter read 155.9 and I was able to put 2.14 US gallons in the tank. My math says that comes out to 72.85 MPG. My friend said he got 55 MPG with his 03. He also said that he usually doesn't get that good of mileage.
I expected to get lower gas mileage with an engine that's not broken in yet, and with only 51 miles on it when I started out, I wouldn't call that broken in yet.
I went for a ride to the beaches today and got fresh fish for lunch, bringing my total mileage to 317 miles.
I'll be interested in seeing what kind of mileage I get on the next tank.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Wow, that is great mpg's. The best I ever got was 55 mpg and usually around 50 mpg, which I was happy with. It seems if the SWing is an '08 or newer that they get better mpg's due the O2 sensor. Keep us informed if it stays that way.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 11:02 pm

On my previous 08 I've gotten as high as 59 and as low as 46 mpg, my 07 gets from 55 to 45 mpg. The 07 doesn't have the O2 sensor. So I agree Jeff the better mpg's due the O2 sensor.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 11:55 pm

According to my math, that is:    jawdrop Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:17 am

Check your VIN number to see if you have the EA (electric assist) model.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 7:48 am

72.85 mpg? Wow where did you guys "drink" your lunch? Wink Seriously keep us posted on your numbers that is the highest I have ever heard of for a SWing. The highest I have seen on mine was 62.8 and have broken 60 a few times but normally mid 50's. People have told me I am crazy that no way can a Silver Wing get over 60.

As info I check mileage EVERY tank and in the same manner, so my numbers are consistent. It appears as stated that the newer SWings just get better mileage. And yours, Roger is even higher than the CTX700's! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Like I said above I've never gotten over 60 mpg on my other Wings, and the only time I remember people say they got over 60 mpgs they were talking about imperial gallons.
All three of us said we would not believe anyone that said they got 70 mpg much less over 70 mpg before seeing it in person.
I almost didn't post my mileage because it sounds like a lie. But I also thought it was so unbelievable that I needed to document it incase someone else posted the same at least they wouldn't be the first.
Today when I got to 1/2 tank on the gas gage my trip meter on my second tank of fuel was reading 101.8. Only about 80 miles of that is city riding as I had filled the tank just before I got back to town Friday. I have to admit I'm not pushing the Wing as hard as I nominally ride until the engine is broken in. I'll try to remember to post my mileage on my second tank.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 12:42 pm

model28a

Maybe we should all switch to imperial gallons. Just think of the extra mileage we'd all get. Razz
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Dale switching to imperial gallons would be great if we could also keep the price of US gallons.Razz
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Neither SW I've owned got more than low fifties in mixed driving, city and highway. That's still better than my 650GT which gets mid to low 40s under the same conditions. But then I don't buy bikes or scooters to save money. If I wanted that I'd probably buy a well used Toyota Corolla. I think my problem is that I need a stronger throttle return spring. It opens too easily.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 10:55 am

Does anyone have a chrome exhaust panel they do not need that is not scratched or damaged they want to sell or get rid of? It is the one on the side of the muffler.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Dave although I can't help you find a chrome exhaust panel I have seen one that had some scratches sanded and painted black that looked real good. If I get any damage to the one on my scooter I think that's what I'll do. You can also get chrome paint, I've not seen it in person but I've been told it also looked good. Good luck finding one I hope you do, just letting you know some options. Cool
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 9:06 pm

Time to update on my fuel mileage on my "new" 08. The first tank was slow country riding getting an unbelievable 72.85 MPG. My next tank was in town stop & go with red lights etc getting 48 MPG. Today with tank #3 fast country riding doing mostly 60 to 70 MPH indicated on the speedometer, getting 53 MPG. So I would say the last two tanks are about normal. I don't know why the unbelievable mileage on the first tank but it is what it is.
I started out with 51 miles when I first got the scooter. From friday a week ago to today I've put 594 miles making a total of 645 miles on it now. So tomorrow is time to do the 600 mile service to it. I plan on putting dino oil in tomorrow and when I do the second oil change I'll start using synthetic oil which is what I use in all my vehicles. I think that should give the rings time to break in the cylinders properly. I've never had a brand new vehicle before but I think 51 miles is close enough to be considered new. I have rebuilt a number of engines and I've never put synthetic oil in them until the engines were broken in.  
I usually change the oil in the rear end when I do an oil change but I'm not going to change it yet. I believe bigbird recommend leaving the factory lube in for longer because it was more like gear lube than the oil Honda tells you to use. Does anyone remember when bigbird recommend to change it? Tomorrow I'll look in the service manual and see when Honda recommends and then maybe I'll PM bigbird and ask him what he recommend. Heck I might even search for his post later if I have time.
This'll be the last post I'll bother everyone with regarding my fuel mileage unless I see something unusual again.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Roger,

I wouldn't doubt you get mid 50's once it is broke in because you do have a brand new bike. I think I changed my final drive the same time as the engine oil just because I always had just enough left over to do it. But the Swing is so bullet-proof you could almost run this think with water instead of oil. lol
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 11:47 pm

Jeff I've always changed my final drive the same time as the engine oil for the same reason you mentioned.
I did a search and found the post by bigbird that I mentioned in my post above. Below is the link to the topic and below the link is the post he made. (I've never figured out how to link to the post instead of the hole topic Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  Dontknow)
 So it looks like I'll need to look in service manual tomorrow and change it when the mileage reaches what Honda recommends.    

Posted by bigbird on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:56 pm(link to post)
"I would like to add something to this. Many owners drain their final drive oil early and comment how black it is. It's supposed to be black! There are no combustion byproducts in the final drive. The initial factory fill is heavily dosed with molybdenum (moly) to help the gears bed in and reduce friction. Moly is pitch black.

I wouldn't change out that factory fill until close to the recommended time/mileage in the owner's manual."
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 11:40 am

DaveR
I have chrome shield for the muffler. Make me an offer. I also have a silver one from a 2012.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 2:39 pm

MPG----long trip----Hyder AK and back to Chatannooga=55mpg for me, no attention paid to lite throttle use. Similar trip, Burgman 400=weak 60mpg-----less displacement than SilverWing.

Not blocking traffic max I think SilverWing can do is about 60mpg US.

Mentioned above, used Toyoda might be cheaper in long run.

WalMart house brand oil 10-40 works fine for me....and has for the past 500,000 2 wheel miles, including my tu250 Suzuki with wet clutch.....my Kawasaki Concours wet clutch traded at 56,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 pm

One thing I forgot to mention from my ride on Sunday was the orange trees are starting to blossom. When we would ride past a grove that had already picked their fruit the trees are blossoming and the smell of orange blossoms was everywhere. I think the smell of orange blossoms are one of the best if not the best smells you will find when riding thru Floridas country roads. Aside from the cold days this is one of the best times of the year to go riding thru orange groves. Aaa the smell of spring, not long before the weather warms up and I can get rid of the long johns. I'm cold blooded so it's not uncommon for my to wear long johns until the first of June.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing    Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good find on an 08 ABS Silverwing
Page 1 of 1